Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine 30--any thoughts?

Mine arrived--now if you have Engine 41 and Engine 24, put them next to it. Same mold, however WOW has the quality slipped. First off the paint is completely different--granted the first two were 1999 E-Ones and this one is 1996, so maybe they were using a different color red at that time. Light bar is WRONG--should be a Whelen. As for details, diamond plate--you can't compare this truck to the other 2. There is no shiny chrome--just siver painted platic. ZERO detail on the pump pannels and nozzels.

I don't know how you guys feel, but for me, having not bought a Code 3 in 2 years and then buying this one (since I lived in Boston for 25 years), I can't tell you how dissappointed I truly am......

Re: Engine 30--any thoughts?

I agree 100% with you John. It's like comparing one of the early Seagrave pieces to a newer piece, except in reverse. At a time when quality and production was supposed to be much better, it has been much worse. I have all but given up on C-3. I only buy certain ones now (like Boston), but for the cost, it just isn't worth it. I've been collecting C-3 since day one, and have never been more upset with the quality. I'm shipping mine right back for a refund. This will make the fifth piece I've sent back over the past year. Prior to that,I never sent one back. I compared it to my Boston E-41. E-30 has crooked graphics, parts, and light bar. It's sad to see the quality go down from what it once was.

I wish someone like sword models would buy code 3 out lock stock and barrel. Code 3 has turned into kiddie land junk.

Send the **** thing back and get a refund.

Quote "I wish someone like sword models would buy code 3 out lock stock and barrel."

Yes, I could see paying between $250 to $450 for a toy fire truck very appealing. (NOT)??????

I remember the "hey days" of Code 3, when they were the s--t!. Everyone was so excited about the soon-to-be released models and the buzz on this board was "loud!" It's very sad now to see how people feel, of how the quality seems to have gone down the pot. I never thought it would come to this.

Yes, I still think Code 3's days are numbered.

Code 3rd Rate.

Look at the base on the model--every piece, repaint or not that I have every purchased has the year issued on the base--Not this time, the base has "2001" molded into it.

I swear if I didn't know better these are 1500 Engine 41's that were never sold, repainted--I'm not joking!!

Seriously, every one of their models always had the year issued on the base regardless of a repaint or not......am I right??

This is the epitome of cookie cutter mass production.

Actually John, every release this year has had the date stamp of when the mold was last issued, rather than saying 2007. Mack C E305 says 2004, Seagrave E305 says 2005, Allentown RM says 2006, Forest City says 2005, and E59 says 2005...even the Chicago Police unit says 2004. I don't have it but my guess is that the Mack HazMat says 2006.

Engine 30--any thoughts?

I think Code 3 are a bunch of tossers...

<<

I bought E30 for my own reasons and it is what I expected. My feelings about Code 3 range from disappointment to disbelief. We may never know why C3 decided to change their methods of marketing what was at one time the big excitement in fire apparatus modeling. The sure thing is that something has indeed changed. Nobody that I have talked with at a couple of the dealers either knows or wants to discuss the apparent internal changes.

I do expect that sometime in the future, maybe next year, that one or more of the dealers will drop C3 and that should surprise no one. We may be seeing the first year without a new mold and I would say that would spell out the message that Code 3 is headed for the end. I would think that another sure sign would be ending any advertising. They do still advertise at least on the Firehouse.com website. There is some kind of master plan that they are operating under with an end at some point in time. I would guess it would either be a total end or a sell out to another manufacturer or a new company looking to fill a niche. It is just a ****ed shame that it is coming to this.

Many collectors jumped on me on this board a little over a year ago for spelling out "doom and gloom" for Code 3, as I felt even back then that something was amiss in the Code 3 camp. When Code 3 was a no-show at FDIC in 2006 I felt that that was the ringer. This, after the newsletter ceased to exist and personnel at Code 3 were being "let go." Oh, no, this was a "good business strategy" for Code 3, we were told. "They were an established company and no longer needed to come to these shows." As the saying goes "I was born at night, but not last night." The writing was, and has been, on the wall.

This year at FDIC the only place you could buy a Code 3 rig was at the ALF booth. Not even Westchester was there! Very unusual for a company that had heavy presence at shows in the past! Nope, something's not right.

Now, as time has gone by, more collectors are starting to see it, too. I think we'll know well ahead of time that Code 3 will be ending its production line. News will slip out.

I would like to see another company take over and continue on the Code 3 tradition of "old", of producing superior fire apparatus models, minus the ALF Century debacle, and return us to the glory days of just a few short years ago.

I haven't purchased a "New" release as a collectiblae in nearly two years. I have been snapping up the bargains, when they appear, strictly to harvest parts. Kitbashing is my primary interest now, but even that's on a wane with me. I am one of the "gloom and doom" crowd, and frankly when one considers some of the debacles that Code 3 has presented to their collectors, they deserve to go out of business, IMO.

You could see this coming a mile away. The minute C-3 started to include Smithsonian and star wars stuff I knew right then they were on the wrong path. That meant splitting up their resources so that they could not put as much in to the fire apparatus. Re-pops of the first diamond plate piece as Yankees and Mets stuff was also a signal. No more C-3 stuff for me.

And add to it all that for the most part the "traditional" toy lines are considered flat right now by the toy industry (it sure helps to have an in law that works for Mattel...lol). They all are looking for toys that they consider have marketable potential, such as charater toys. Disney, Spiderman, Batman, Harry Potter all have one thing that model fire trucks do not, and that's a built in advertising through movie and media tie ins that have a ready audience that will be clamoring for the character products after they see the latest movie or show. Have you noticed that there have been tons of "Transformers" toys showing up again?

Code 3 did raise the bar, but I think that they grew too fast too soon. When Funrise expand into the collectibles market with movie posters,Star Wars and air and space items, they may have thought there would be a lot of cross over collectors in their corner which never materialized. I also think the idea of sets may have backfired on them, since a lot of collector's got together and bought one set to split up rather than each collector buying their own set.

I concur with you on some of that Baltimore...except one part...the one re the marketing of Movie related products..if Code 3 got their head out of their disrespective derriere they would see there are a gazillion fire related vehicles in any gods amount of movies and TV shows, so we can't use that as an excuse because they haven't done that many anyway..and the ones they did do sold out and are some of the most sought after C3s'. I prefer they do replicas (note the term replica) of real apparatus and do them properly, plus do add on kits of extra hose axes, hydrants, all the good gear to do a rig up with that is done in real life.

Well, I ordered E-30 (haven't recieved it yet) and from the sounds of it is as bad as I had feared. This is my last chance for C3 if this is all true.

I can't understand how they can produce E-41 and E-24, what 5-6 years ago now, and totally botch this one. Not only accuracy wise, but from the sound of it the quality control is in the toilet like it has been for the last few releases. Crooked tampos, bad and warped frames seem to be the norm now...I guess these trucks can be included with the tooth paste and pet food coming out of china.

First, the club benefits are cut, meaning that the membership fee is really nothing more than a donation to C3 to keep it alive, and the ability to view the workshop, aka "repaint of the month area".

Now we're paying MORE for a less accurate, poorly made 5-6 year old mold...give me a break.

These two facts, should be enough to deter anyone who works hard for their money, and refuses to spend it shoddy items, but it doesn't seem too in many cases.
And of course a lot the folks on the other board are eating this crap right up, thus keeping C3 alfoat just a little bit longer.

Admitted, likes others have stated, I do miss the days when I looked foward to the Friday update, and often was pretty impressed by their mechandise, despite a few botched releases (Syracuse Sutphen).

I'll also make it clear, that I am no longer a club member, and only ordered this (from a C3 dealer) because it is Boston. I highly doubt I'll go after L-25, at least if E-30 IS a piece of crap.

A little nugget for those of you that haven't figured it out yet. I haven't been a club member for 2 years now, BUT I can still pre-order, see the workshop, etc. Apparently they never updated their database. I just punch in my collectors club # and p/w and VOILA!

They screwed their loyal fan base enough. Hope others can benefit from this info.......

Wow finally a place that tells THE REAL deal about the FAILING code 3 junk they have been selling.I have hundreds of code 3s i have bought 2 models this year what a total shame. No news letter can't get anyone to help you,a collector going to a message board to get people to call you back from the company are you totally JERKIN MY CHAIN!

People who are still making excuses for this horrid customer service and the sliding quality live in a freakin strange diecast dream world !

I too long ago predicted code's 3 demise, based on the price increases for the same models, the lack of promotion, and the elimination of the customer service reps. Of course, I was reamed by all the "don't like don't buy" pro Code 3 fanatics. That seems to be their answer to everything because they are afraid to admit Code 3 was going down the tubes.

Well, I finally have Boston Engine 30 in my possesion. Now if you are a new collector and don't have any of the older C3 Boston pieces in your collection, or have seen them in person, then this piece looks great. But if like myself, you have the older Boston pieces than this is a real disapointment.

The red is WAY too bright...put it next to Ladder 23, and it's like night and day. The red looks closer to the shade the two, 2001 E-One cyclones, or the newer pierce rigs Boston runs. This is not a minor thing, this is very noticeable. No more chrome pump panel, no detail whatsoever, just solid, flat grey. The patch on the door also lacks detail...no helmet inside the white cross like on Ladder 23, and the real rigs and patch. Even the patch on the end of the box is incorrect too. And don't forget the light bar which has already been mentioned.

This isn't a matter of not being able to get it right because of production costs, it's a matter of pure laziness, when it comes to releasing a semi-accurate product. Considering E-30 cost more than E-24 or E-41 did, I would expect the level of accuracy to AT LEAST stay the same...not sink further.

This one gets 2.5 stars out of five...at least it's not a Quantum or Century. It's got that going for it at least!

So, Chariots of fire,
Quote, "You could see this coming a mile away. The minute C-3 started to include Smithsonian and star wars stuff I knew right then they were on the wrong path. That meant splitting up their resources so that they could not put as much in to the fire apparatus. Re-pops of the first diamond plate piece as Yankees and Mets stuff was also a signal"

WOW, you could forsee as early as 2002 when the yankee DP's came out, that code 3 was in trouble, geeze, your perception is truly amazing.
5 years on though, still getting ready for the big shut-down, eh???

Quote from John A
"A little nugget for those of you that haven't figured it out yet. I haven't been a club member for 2 years now, BUT I can still pre-order, see the workshop, etc. Apparently they never updated their database. I just punch in my collectors club # and p/w and VOILA!

They screwed their loyal fan base enough. Hope others can benefit from this info....... "

I too had been using the same loophole.
When you posted this John, I thought Oh No, code 3 read this board, and they will fix it, and yes, lo and behold, this is part of the board re-vamp, as of today, its gone.
Many thanks John.

Ok Pete..... To your post, I respond BFD!! If you feel that strongly about it, don't take it out on me, sign up for a membership. If you thought it was really worth something, you would have already done so rather than blaming me for no longer having 'free' access.

This Board provides more information than the Code 3 website ever did. Furthermore, when was the last time anyone on this Board ever missed a release announcement, etc. The faithful always post the information right here as soon as it becomes available.

As for buying one of their repaints, if you really want one that bad, you can just order it from their dealers or ask a fellow poster here if they will be kind enough to order one for you.

There is no, zero, zilch, nada benefit to being in their "loyal club." Big deal you have to wait one more weeks to see an inaccurate prototype photo in the workshop or to get a negligible discount on an overpriced truck.

It's ashame I can't find a little icon that gestures the middle finger to let you know how I really feel about them and their recent repainted products.

Well, I just went to check out the revamped site for the very first time. The banner page looks fantastic, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that AWESOME FDNY truck splattered across it! Boy oh boy, that was an unexpected surprise!!!

You know what? I'm a member (soon to expire and not renewing), but it's been so long since I've bothered looking at the FDNY-Collectibles website that I've forgotten my password. Oh well.

John is right, though. There are NO real life benefits to joining, unless:

You're into the cheesy "members only" releases that they usually can't give away;

You're really into cheap flashlights and umbrellas;

You can't live without that official "Member's Card" (sort of a juvenile "American Express, I guess);

You actually believe that a low membership number actually carries some juice. It just might amongst those who think all of the above are good reasons to join.

In real life, PTH is just as "cheap" as the member's discount, and their shipping is less. Lastly, unless you're a member of the has-it-shipped-yet club, why would you need to obsess about shipping dates? Code 3's customer service sucks at best, and joining the "Club" just lets you check when it's not shipping.

If Code 3's website has been redesigned, it looks the same to me, unless there were some glitches and they've temporarily went back to the old graphics. Maybe???

Quote from John A
"A little nugget for those of you that haven't figured it out yet. I haven't been a club member for 2 years now, BUT I can still pre-order, see the workshop, etc. Apparently they never updated their database. I just punch in my collectors club # and p/w and VOILA!

They screwed their loyal fan base enough. Hope others can benefit from this info....... "

Thanks John, at least we know they still read this board. I read your post and figured CODE 3 would get the point. What do you know, it asked for a password tonight and then advised to contact customer service for access. lol

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)