Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sounds Like No Clinton "C" Model In the Near Future

Clinton VFD (Md.)had a booth at the Maryland Fireman's Convention selling their KW model. I asked if we could expect the "C" model Ford in the future. The gentleman told me "not anytime soon". "The KW was very expensive to produce and we still have plenty to sell".

Re: Sounds Like No Clinton "C" Model In the Near Future

The Ford C is the one I would have bought.... oh well.

fyerfyter146 , 99% of your posts are always something like, "wont buy it" or "another one I will take a pass on " or " I wont buy it unless they get it right", and now heres a new one, "I would have bought the C", and it makes me wonder, you must have the smallest firetruck collection ever. (LOL)

Having seen some pictures of his collection, I'm betting the reason is limited space to expand means he has a strict criteria to be met before adding a piece to his collection. I have the same problem.

I was afraid that this would happen. There was never any idea of how many they had to sell to make a profit that would obviously go to the benefit of the target that this idea was conceptualized to aid. There had to be a break even point and that included paying First Gear for the development of the replica. First Gears work was exceptional. FG was obviously smart in the agreement they made with the Clinton VFD in that they had the right to market the model with a different name if the break even number was not made within a given time. It will be curious to see how many versions of this model will turn up with different names in the hopes of breaking even on the production. That means, of course, that the plum that was stuck up there of making the other historical rigs from that department will not happen.
The Maxim engine and TDA and the Young pumper will not happen without someone putting a lot of front mone out.Too bad!!!!

The Ford "C" would open up many more possibilities than the Kenworth, which was/is pretty much a "one of a kind", very restricted unit. Anything they do with that mold from here on will be "fantasy" models.

And I join my Brother in Rochester in saying that I too would have purchased the Ford C.

At least 2 purchased here 'cause there was Twins.Easy "renumber" of one.

Yes, I am very selective on what I spend on. Space & financial constraints are the primary reasons. Never have I been a "buy all I see" person. Something has to be worth my money for me to pay for it. That's 1 reason there will be no more Code 3s here. I used to have over 500 pieces in my collection. I would guess that number to be around 300 now. As to the Ford C vs the Kenworth, the C is much more appealing to me & the Kenworth is just too "odd" for my tastes. Even if they did produce the C & 1 made it's way here, it would have a date with the work bench to be reworked a bit.

Like Fyrefyter, I, too would have preferred the C. Now, no reflection on the KW/Pierce, a beautiful model and one of FG's best of date, but the C/Young had many more "real" possibilites (with some minor "tweaking" of details such as warning lights, pump panels, etc.). There were no fewer than 7 C/Young open cab pumpers produced from 1964 until 1967. Each unique, but all very similar. Many of these rigs went on to second homes with other departments. Consider the following trucks from VA, MD and NY state (2nd owner in parenthesis if known):

Clinton VFD, (wrecked), 1964
Navy-Vale VFD (Star Tannery VFD), 1965
Clinton VFD (Harry Lundberg School), 1967
Sara Zane VFD (Round Hill VFD), 1967
Ridge-Culver Fire Protection District, 1967
Herndon VFD (Fairfax County FD), 1968
Ridge-Culver Fire Protection District, 1970

That's 11 "real" rigs right there, and more if you produce "fantasy" departments! And let's not forget the closed-cab versions, including, but not limited to;

Allentown Road VFD, 1968
New Hackensack Fire District, 1974..... you get the point.

Many of the original trucks still exist including Navy-Vale's, Clinton's '67 and Sara Zane's, so FG has a wealth of reference material. BRING ON THE C's!!

I wonder if FG has plans for the KW cab though? Wouldnt take much if they havent already, to put a roof on it, and put it in front of the dump, cement, barbage and all the other types of trucks they have? Then perhaps the rear on some other cabs? This is a very young mold, I think they have lots of use for it still.

I certainly hope they have more plans for the KW. Like you said, it would lend itself (in closed cab) to a variety of different uses.

3000 Toys shows new KW

3000 Toys is showing the Clinton KW redone aa Monroe FD. Here's the link:
http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/item_detail.aspx?itemfind=FIRST%20GEAR10-3612

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)