Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
medium sized modern fire trucks 1/50- 1/64th scale

Will there ever be an alternative to code 3?? I hear the die-cast market is going south. I hear that sword might do some rigs but at their high prices who is going to buy?? I guess corgi is done with fire related rigs. I'm hoping that first gear would get into the action.

Re: medium sized modern fire trucks 1/50- 1/64th scale

I think Yat-ming will fill in nicely with some of their product - look at the Ahrens-Fox, Mack and Maxim 1/43 offerings. It proves that a decent product can be produced at a decent price. Corgi isn't out of the game yet, and will probably still offer something - just not the 6-8 models a year, more like 2-3.

I'd like to see First Gear tool a Ford C chassis - that was probably the most versatile chassis ever produced - fire trucks, fuel trucks, box trucks, dump trucks, utility trucks - were all produced on this chassis.

I'm still holding out that another Euopean company like Minichamps, Norev or Autoart starts to produce some American fire apparatus.

I remeber seeing some First Gear 1/34th scale Fire models at a toy fair. Then a couple of years later Code 3 started issuing nice models. I, and quite a few other got really enthusiastic about collecting for years. Maybe having just three models to buy, and waiting for something new and improved, makes for a better attitude that having 200+ models to chose from?

Then times changed. I believe we actually expected too much from some companies. Probably certain companies fed our expectations too much, and our feelings for those firms went from awe to disgust.

I was no Saint, and they weren't the Devil (sorry for the pun). Truth is, we all expect improvements, improvements cost money, we expect better service, companies diversify and service becomes second rate.

I would have liked to have things stay the same as in 1998 and 99, but "blank" happens. Maybe 1/43rd or 1/50th will, and is replacing 1/64th as the dominant scale?

Chuck

PS: Okay, maybe they are the Devil, but I'm feeling generous today. LOL

I spoke with Marilyn of Marilyn and Gills fir station the other evening. She said that Corgi is still planning on doing The Pirsch rigs for Memphis and Milwaukee. I am very much looking forward to theese rigs being done. Marilyn also said That Corgi is also doing one Boston rig but i can't remember which rig it is.With Corgi i still wish they would DCFD Engine 14 the one that they scratched a few years ago, i think that would have been a nice rig.

Today i also spoke with Bill Craven he said that he is already working on a model firehouse for the Memphis rig.

Take Care
John

This may just be a lull in the whole thing. I can remember when there was just Ashton and an occasional Matchbox that looked halfway decent. Then came along Conrad and then First Gear. Corgi has been in it for a long time but not heavily into fire apparatus. I dare say someone will pick up the ball eventually. In the meantime if YatMing can keep things going, we will be in good shape. Just look at the great stuff they have produced to date.
If all dries up.....there's always scratchbuilding!!

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)