Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Washington Mint ????

Just saw on Diecast Direct's site that a company by the name of Washington Mint are released a line of 1/24 cars. Included is a line of Ford Crown Vic's in various police markings including CHP, Michigan, Alabama as well as several unmarked versions. Anyone know anything about this new company? Are they just re released versions of the CMW casting?

Re: Washington Mint ????

Washington Mint is the name given to the line, which is owned by Lindberg / HAWK, which is owned by J-Lloyd International. They have recently reissued the Lindberg plastic FCV kits, in undec and several marked versions. From what I have been told, these new diecast kits ARE the CMW (Classic Metal Works) molds, CMW issued their cars built up and Testors issued the same cars in kit form. These new Washington Mint kits will also come in several undec versions, along with several decorated cars. You may see these same kits on other websites (including mine, at www.policecarmodels.com) with the manufacturer name HAWK, Lindberg or Washington Mint.

And, FYI, from what I have been told, J-Lloyd has purchased the rights to the Gearbox 1/43 line. Hopefully we will see their great line come back to life soon.

Just did a bit more research with some other suppliers. It looks like there may be two versions of each marking, my guess is one kit and one built up. I will know more next week, and will post here asap.

I was told that Washington Mint is owned by the founder of Gearbox, the guy who was rooked out of his company by his (now ex-)wife, also that he might try to restart Gearbox under the Mint brand if he can get the molds.

Just to clarify on the Washington Mint line - YES there will be kits and assembled versions of the diecast FCV's, no delivery status though.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)