Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another First Response Delay?

Just noticed on Diecast Direct's website that the due date for all the First Response cars has been changed again - to September. Many of them say "late September." Wonder if we'll see them before the end of the year. I'll have to drop Dennis Deal an e-mail and ask what gives...

Re: Another First Response Delay?

I don't mind delays as long as it is for quality...but come on! It's just a Crown Vic...there really isn't much to it. I hope my pre-order that I made back in April doesn't get lost somewhere.

Dick - If you find out anything from Dennis let us know! I was told the delay on the MD helicopter was because the factory lost the box artwork (??). It might also be that they have to wait in line at the factory. Like many of the smaller plastic companies have to wait for time on the injection molding machines, First Response is a new company, they might not be a priority at the factory in China, where many other diecast lines are all made side by side.

I too am eager to see the first models in this new line, and am looking forward to them all - despite the delays!

Jeff @
www.policecarmodels.com

I would like to see DD update some photo's of upcoming models such as CHP etc. I will probably pass on the Maryland chopper though.

OLYMPICS???

I've read of many delays for items manuafactured by factories based near Bejing/Peking/Whatever. The Olympic Commitee is worried that very bad smog and heavy suspended particulate matter may cancel some of the more strenuous outdoor Olympic events (the marathon, long distance runs, bicycling, public executions, etc.). I hear that air pollution is so bad, the government had entire plants disassembled and moved out of town to the burbs (or rerbs, if you have an accent). This may be the delay that we are experiencing. If not the First Response factory, then maybe the metal smeltering works that supply raw materials may have been relocated to outlying rice fields (and workers re-educated, of course).

I still have my order in with Policecarmodels, so hopefully we'll see the new CVs and 41 Fords by Christmass. I'd not hold out hope for the Chargers, as order cancellations (loss of anticipated CV & 41 sales revenue) may affect future issues.

My two yen.

Chuck, from what I understand (Dick W would probably clear up any misconceptions) the Charger has been in the plans since 2005. The model is apparently complete and I have not heard or seen anything that would indicate the casting has been canned. At this time First Response have the 1/43 police market in the bag (unless Gearbox is bought back to life by Washington Mint) Relying on Chinese factories would be the biggest drama. They have been having dramas for a number of years with supply of electricity. The demand is so high that the Chinese grids have to close down during certain periods of the day due to the massive consumption and the lack of ability to supply it.

Here is a copy of the message I received from Doug at Diecast Direct, the owner of the First Response line. I had asked if he could shed some light on the delays:

The delays are simply due to the type of product we are putting out, the complexity of the toolings and the detail going into the models. What your customers need to understand is that they are getting a Minichamps quality product for half the cost. This type of detail in a 1:43rd scale car takes time. We have had some things happen in China as well that were out the control of both us and the factory, which I have mentioned before. We have that behind us and we are moving forward. The first Crown Vic samples other than what has been posted will be here on Friday, we should be able to have photos early next week. These cars are going to happen, and they are going to be done right and better than anything before them, but to get them right we have to make changes and those changes just take time.

I too am eagerly awaiting their cars... sounds like they just want to get it done right.

I think they will be well worth the wait ! Maybe if things go well they will consider the other possibilities for new molds from the 70's, 80's etc...

I think the Dodge Chargers will be a short lived fad. I would like to see the 80's boxy style CV's or 80's Plymouth Gran Furys and Dodge Diplomat

Received an e-mail from Dennis Deal today in which he said essentially what Jeff posted - the delays are due to his insistence that the factory get all the details right. He mentioned that each of these models is unique, in the sense of prototypically accurate placement of antennas, spotlights, lightbars, etc, in addition to the markings and colors. He's made minor corrections on several of the prototypes and returned them to the factory. He said that the full-color door shields and the cars themselves looked great. He also said the vendor's original delivery dates were too optimistic for a new line, but once they've done the initial issues subsequent releases should run more smoothly. Can't wait to see these!

Thanks for the info guys.

The FR website now has a photo of the raw casting for the Dodge Charger on the front home page....it looks like more photos are coming soon as their some link that are not active yet.

Also,

For those interested, if you click on the BELL 47 page from their site, you can see the next PSP-HEMC release - PA State Police Bell 47 Helo. If it follows past practice it will only (at least at first) to only PSP employees. The last 2 Jet Rangers did become avail to the public on PSP-HEMC.org after they were offered to emloyees first.

First Response Webpage

Ed, I saw the photo of the Charger and it did look interesting. I hope that they offer an unmarked version in silver.

Speaking of delays, we still haven't received the Durangos the District was supposed to receive in July. We did get a Prius and 3 Escapes (an real embarasment, but we're required to buy multi fuel source units for fleet. Even the Silverados have alternative fuel sensors). I have a silver resin Spark Durango in reserve (still in the box). But I don't want to apply the decals until I see the pattern on an actual unit.

Chuck

Well, now the website says all of the cars are due in October, some late October. Diecast Direct was expecting new samples from China yesterday, if they are approved for final production, the models still have to be made (or finished) and shipped - that long ocean voyage takes 3-4 weeks, so October is a pretty good bet I think!

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)