Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is there a general rule when selling with/without original box?

In the interest of space I may need to get rid of several boxes/domes, etc for my fire/rescue/police collection.

While all the trucks are 100% mint, what do I stand to lose down the road if I opt to sell pieces without their original box? (I still would have certificates of authenticity). Is there a baseline, such as 40% less without a box than with one?

Re: Is there a general rule when selling with/without original box?

I keep my extras in the dome. As a buyer, I've purchased on eBay where they've advertised "MINT", "NEVER PLAYED WITH",or "Only displayed in a smoke free home". Most like that have some broken off part (usually mirrors), have oxidized fingerprint marks on the paint, or smell like an ashtray. You'd be surprised at what people will sell you, and say its perfect.

I would recommend that you keep it in the unopened clear dome (but I've received plenty of "UNOPENED" that have had the plastic bottom tabs bent, and cardboard frayed) plastic dome or box. A "collector", the type who displays model in the origonal packaging, would probably only purchase at a good price if the model was pristine and in the origonal dome (and with sleeve).

I'd say expect 50% more for keeping model in dome (unless its a common not hard to locate model), but that will still receive more than a loose one.

I HAVE FOUND THERE IS NO SET RULE ,DEPENDING HOW BAD THE PERSON WANTS THE PIECE.I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT SLEEVES,BUT IF THE PIECE IS IN SAY THE OLD CODE 3 PLASTIC DOMES, THET ARE USUALLY IN GREAT SHAPE .YOU COULD GET THE PLASTIC DOME ,SLEEVE AND ALL THAT THE PIECE COULD BE BAD .IF SOMEONE WANTS TO SCREW YOU THEY WILL DO IT ANYWAY THEY CAN .I THREW ALL THE SLEEVES AND BOXES OUT,THEY CAN TAKE MORE ROOM THEN THE ORIGINAL PIECE.

Bottom line, I'm not planning to sell anytime soon and every model went from dome to individual, after market, acrylic case. So they are truly 'mint.'

The space with the packaging was the issue--too bulky, tough to stack, etc. Displaying them was just easier with after market cases (but now, most come with their own case which makes it easy to display).

As a general rule, for toys, if the original box is still intact, it can increase the value by as much as 50%. Not so sure about diecast, but it certainly increases the value by quite a bit.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)