Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1:25 sources

Guys,

I have decided to venture into plastic 1:25 kitbashing and scratch building, fire apparatus only. I know that there is a ton of 1:64 and 1:50 parts sources around, but I would like need to know about a few things about 1:25:

1. Where can you buy extra wheels and tires in 1:25?
2. Where can you buy lightbars, tools, etc. in 1:25?

I'm not worried about cabs and bodies, since I'm pretty confident that I can scratch build what I need. I just finished the HORRENDOUS AMT ALF pumper, and it's easily one of the most poorly designed models I have ever seen. I'm expecting that the Trumpeter ALF that I just scored on ebay should be far superior to it.

Specifically, I want to build the new Heavy Rescue for Yonkers, NY in 1:25. The cab will need some mods, and I may try and resin cast a few copies. I appreciate any tips on "where to buy" that you guys can offer. I'm bombing all of the serious modeling forums with this same request, so if my repetition upsets you, I apologize. Thanks in advance!

Steve

Re: 1:25 sources

Steve: Post a request for info on the Hobby Heaven message board. You should get a response for tires and wheels. I know there is a cottage company in Canada that does them for large trucks. Sorry I can't come up with the name.
As far as light bars are concerned try
Chimneyville. They make all sorts of light bars and have 1/25 decal sheets as well for fire apparatus.
I agree with your assessment of the AMT ALF but it was the only show in town for quite some time. I still use it as a source for things like the pump, frame, tires and wheels, drive train, springs etc. The warning lights and nozzles are not worth a hoot and the box art has always shown the hard suction end pieces inside out. The basic ALF body is ok and it can be modified to high side compartments quite easily.
Keep us all posted! Would love to see your work!

Steve, try Scale Firehouse. Many on that board build exclusively in 1/24th or 1/25th. And quite a few are extreame kitbashers. I'm sure if you post a question, about every source known to fire kitbashers will be listed.

http://scalefirehouse.com/phpbb2/index.php

Thank you both, Gentlemen! I knew that I could count on hearing from each of you. I have tried reenlisitng on Scale Firehouse, I guess Chris hasn't gotten to my request yet.

I just bought a Trumpeter on ebay, $60 with shipping, I thought it was a deal so I grabbed it. I'm so bored with the "other" stuff, time to get back to my roots!

Steve: Scale Firehouse is temporarily down. Something about getting a new host for the site I think. That would be a start, tho'. Let us know what you think of the Trumpeter ALF. I've got 2 that I have not even started. Waiting for the right rig to come along I guess. In the meantime I'm gearing up to do either a 1954 or 1932 Maxim in 1/25. Both trucks are local so I have plenty of info sources.

I received an email the other day announcing Scale Firehouse was back up.

Is Model Truck and Fire Apparatus still around? They used to have a lot of detail items. IIRC they were out of Chesapeake MD.

Jeff

Scale Firehouse is indeed back up. If you were a member before the site went down, you need to re-register.

Thanks again guys, a lot of good info is coming my way!

Probably the best source for 1/25th scale parts and accessories is Fred's Custom Models in San Antonio, Texas. He produces an up-dated 37 page full color catalog for only $5.00, and you will not believe the stuff that's in there. If it's on the street, he's got it in his catalog...or, he can get it, or will even fabricate it for you.

You can contact him at (210)-923-2005, or send $5.00 for a catalog to...Fred's Custom Models, 404-Cliff Avenue, San Antonio, Texas 78214.

He also takes all major credit cards for the items in his catalog.

Hope this helps...

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

Larry,
Sorry to rain on Fred's Parade but this guy is a crook.
He stiffed me out of over $400.00 worth of merchandise more than 10 years ago and I have the
correspondence to prove it. He also tried to get
Larry Lorance and me into a peeing contest a couple
of years ago.
He also stiffed another member of this group about
$300.00 but I can't remember his name so I would not
help this guy, you know what they say, once a t---f
ALWAYS a t---f. He is now affiliated with another
company and that owner tried to square this with me
but we could not Fred to get off of his ass and do
the right thing. BEWARE OF THIS GUY!!!!!!
Ronbo

Maybe I won't order his catalog, after all!

Hi Ron...

Thank you for your information.

I recently ordered his latest catalog, and it was here in no time at all. Very impressive all the way around.

Taking your information, but not using your name, I will confront him on our letterhead and ask him point blank about your situation. I will also ask him for some references prior to sending him any funds.

I was thinking of putting his catalog information in my column, but will hold off until I hear from him further. Again, I will ask him for any 'positives' about his business he can give me, and will really check them out using all of my sources and resources.

I will also report back to this board of my findings.

And...if any other ATEV'rs have had any dealing with this guy...either good or bad...please continue to post them on this particular thread.

Thanks again, Ron, for YOUR post. That's what this board is all about.

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

Larry,
The long and short of this is that it was the early 90's and I sent him a bunch of 1/25 scale models for
parts, an AMT Ladder, AMT Tower, an AMT Engine and
several others, a chevy pickup truck and a few more
and he was going to use some of those parts and build
me a whole fire department w/o decals which I was going to do myself and we had agreed on a price of around $500.00 cash upon receipt of some of the items.
I have to admit that this guy is very good, does some
really good work, its too bad his scruples aren't as good as his talent. In any event at the time his
elderly Mom was living with him and was causing him many problems because of her health situation so this thing dragged on for about 3 or 4 years and then he put her in a home somewhere and she ultimately died.
In emails from him after that he advised that he had had a flood in his home and lost alot of his models yada, yada, yada so I kept after him all with negative results. About two or three years ago he
advertised on Larry Lorance's site and I advised those guys of his past and then he agreed to satisfy
me with a whole new set of product and then he accused me and Larry of plotting against him, hell I don't know Larry Lorance personally like a few of the guys on this site and have no reason to get into a peeing contest with Mr. Lorance so that attempt failed
and that was that. A few months or perhaps a year ago
a guy by the name of Mike Young From Michigan emails
me, I fill him in, and he tells me that he has bought up Fred's molds and is launching a new business and wants to make good and I told Mr. Young that as long as Fred owes me I will let the World know what he did to me. Mr. Young tried to get Fred to divvy up and failed and then I got threatened by Mr. Young about not blaspheming Mr. Fred, well I did not blaspheme Mr. Young and I won't, I wish him well, but, according to Young Fred is affiliated with him in some way so as far as I am concerned once a crook always a crook. During that period of discussion someone else on this site advises me that Fred stiffed
him out of $300.00 or so and I wish he would ID himself again, but, as far as I am concerned anything that has Fred's name attached to it is SUSPECT and I
advise all to BEWARE of this guy, that's about all I can tell you, please advise as to what you find out.
Ronbo

Larry,
The long and short of this is that it was the early 90's and I sent him a bunch of 1/25 scale models for
parts, an AMT Ladder, AMT Tower, an AMT Engine and
several others, a chevy pickup truck and a few more
and he was going to use some of those parts and build
me a whole fire department w/o decals which I was going to do myself and we had agreed on a price of around $500.00 cash upon receipt of some of the items.
I have to admit that this guy is very good, does some
really good work, its too bad his scruples aren't as good as his talent. In any event at the time his
elderly Mom was living with him and was causing him many problems because of her health situation so this thing dragged on for about 3 or 4 years and then he put her in a home somewhere and she ultimately died.
In emails from him after that he advised that he had had a flood in his home and lost alot of his models yada, yada, yada so I kept after him all with negative results. About two or three years ago he
advertised on Larry Lorance's site and I advised those guys of his past and then he agreed to satisfy
me with a whole new set of product and then he accused me and Larry of plotting against him, hell I don't know Larry Lorance personally like a few of the guys on this site and have no reason to get into a peeing contest with Mr. Lorance so that attempt failed
and that was that. A few months or perhaps a year ago
a guy by the name of Mike Young From Michigan emails
me, I fill him in, and he tells me that he has bought up Fred's molds and is launching a new business and wants to make good and I told Mr. Young that as long as Fred owes me I will let the World know what he did to me. Mr. Young tried to get Fred to divvy up and failed and then I got threatened by Mr. Young about not blaspheming Mr. Fred, well I did not blaspheme Mr. Young and I won't, I wish him well, but, according to Young, Fred is affiliated with him in some way so as far as I am concerned once a crook always a crook. During that period of discussion someone else on this site advises me that Fred stiffed
him out of $300.00 or so and I wish he would ID himself again, but, as far as I am concerned anything that has Fred's name attached to it is SUSPECT and I
advise all to BEWARE of this guy, that's about all I can tell you, please advise as to what you find out.
Ronbo

Ron...

What I'd suggest you do (and it's entirely up to you) is contact the Advertising Director at Scale Auto Magazine (Todd Schwartz - 888-558-1544, ext. 549) and let him know all the stuff you've shared with me so far. Fred's Custom Models continually runs a block ad on the Marketplace Page in Scale Auto Magazine and has for some time now.

I'm sure Scale Auto wants to keep all advertising above board, and what you have explained to us I think they need to know about.

Again, the whole purpose of THIS board is information for the better of our hobby...both good and bad...and you have probably spared some of us from probably being taken by this person.

I must admit I'm a bit embarassed by posting a referral for him without knowing any background information, but I thought his continous ads in Scale Auto Magazine plus the impressive color catalog he sent me within days after I sent him the five bucks probably spoke for itself.

If you do contact Scale Auto, please post the results of your conversation with Todd so we can all learn if Scale Auto has ever had any negative feedback about him.

Thanks again, Ron...

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

Larry, there is no need to be embarrassed. I appreciate that you took the itm to pass on the information.

On the other hand, I did have some dusty memory about an issue with Fred's Custom Models, and Ron wasted no time in enlightening me. I appreciate that, too.

As always, Caveat Emptor.

That's "time," in the first sentence. Early morning, pre-caffiene cerebral flattulence.

You might give this a try, I've had it in my "favorites" for years. Never have bought anything from him. http://www.classichobby.net/ That's two times today that I've given the link out.

BTW Steve, NEVER and I mean NEVER attempt anything like cognitive thought or anything even remotely "tricky" until you've had your coffe. Trust me, I have experience in these matters.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)