Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FDFF TRANSTAR II BRUSH RIG

Beautiful, as usual. Alan

The hand tools look horrible, the tank is to small, this type of set up would not have airlines hanging on the cab for a trailer, no steps to get to top of unit to get hose, I am not that impressed.

Holy &#@*, Chris, tell us what you REALLY think!

Chris, I totally agree with you. Those cast on hand tools look horrible, even painted. The tank is just too small for even a small BBQ fire that has gotten out of hand. And those airlines would only be of use to blow up ballons. And how in the devil would anyone without their own step-ladder get on top of unit? What in the world was I thinking? I'll try not to dissapoint everyone in the future. Thanks for the input.

Chuck: You've got some good ideas only they need to be put together in a way that would apply to fighting a real brush fire.
1. Relocate the stack. Too much potential for being knocked off by tree branches.
2. Eliminate the heavy line manifold on the back. You don't have a deluge gun so there is no need for such a hugh supply potential.
3. use some smaller hose on your reels. Try some small electrical wire, the red stuff to simulate red booster hose.
4. Make a basket or tray for your hand tools. Or carry them in a place where they would not get knocked off the truck.
5. The other guys are right. A truck of that size would easily carry 1000 gallons of water. Use 7.5 gallons/cubic foot to figure out a scale size for the tank.
6. Make up some hard suction hose for drafting in case there isn't a nurse tanker around.
7. Remove any low hanging things like steps and mud flaps that would easily get dislodged but make a way for your crew to get to the back of the truck.
8. Provide a tank fill at the top.
9. If you're operating in Florida you might want to add some tow hooks fore and aft. Don't want to get stuck in a gater swamp!
10. Check out CapeCodFD.com to see some of the brush rigs we use around here.
11. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

We all know that no matter how accurate anyone makes their model, in the end, it is just a toy. It is no big deal if the finished product looks like those little grey (or green) Space Aliens shrunk it with their ray gun, or if the model looks like a POS. Its the fun of building that counts. My stuff is usually put in a display cabinet, and viewed at a distance, and eventually forgotten. And remember, this is in reality no more than a toy website. We are not saving the world, we are just relaxing, and it really does not matter. So be happy, no worries, as life is too short. Take care all.

Chuck - No one mentioned the light output from such a small beacon on top.... OK, I am kidding - I think is looks really great, just like all of the other superb models you have shared with us. Keep up the great work. Jeff

Chuck, I have always admired your creativity and originality. I also haven't forgotten that you are one of the grand-daddies of kitbashing, displaying some excellent examples on the old ATEV board of yore. Many of todays' erstwhile kitbashers were playing with crayons when you hit your stride. At any rate, I appreciate your work far more than another ebay-bound XXXX redux, hwich has come to dominate most of what we get to see.

And is that you, Buckjaw?

FDFF TRANSTAR II BRUSH RIG

Well, with all this helpful advice, I decided to slightly alter my model. I did not remove any components, but I did add a few, as per the attached photograph. New steps are for access to the equipment bed, a much larger supply tank (approximately 1100 gallons), was added giving a total capasity of 1700, and a suction hose. Okay, maybe not road worthy, but this hobby is for fun. Just lightening up the conversation with some satire.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And by the way, some brush rigs in Florida do have high output manifolds, so a base unit can pump water from the many canals and ponds to satilite units that carry only the standard 250 GPM pump, or cart mounted monitors to spray down areas (and homes), or to constantly fill fire breaks (sandy soil here sucks up water like a sponge until it is 100% saturated). Many units have airlines with compressors powered by the drive motor to run a variety of tools (so I will remove all but one on the model). Steps are not that obvious, as they usually consist of metal spike foot hold projection on the vehicles. Small capacity tanks (500 gallon size) are usually the norm as water sources are plentiful. Tools are usually attached with some sort of clip mechanism, similar to how you keep a rake or shovel held in storage in your garage (but I have seen some stored in metal cages). Hoses are in a variety of sizes on units. Suction hose is carried in closed compartments below the truck beds (due to Coral and other poisonus snakes making then thire home, if accessible). Exhausts have to be elevated, as the dry brush, sometimes 3+ feet, will catch fire upon contact, and savannas do not usually have tall trees (plys a IH Transtar II is not what I'd call an off road vehicle). Lastly, I'm not out to construct a museum quality model, with 200 plus hours of effort to exactly model the May 1962-October 1963 protypical lug nuts, or some other detail item nobody can see, and only the origonal designer of the vehicle for the manufactuer can recognise. I build model, like most of us, for the fun and relaxation.

Some photos of FDFF and LCFD units. I will try to get a shot of the manifolds (not as large as the Moyno I modeled) when I get a chance.

Have fun, and remember. "its a hobby, not a task".

Chuck

FDFF TRANSTAR II BRUSH RIG (REVISED)

They say you can't teach an Old Dog new tricks (but enough about my ex-wife). ny advice, especially from the accomplished kitbashers on this board, is always appreciated. I've revised my brush rig according to a few of the suggestions listed in the above posts.

1) New filler connection on water tank.
2) New steps on each side to access equipment bed.
3) Airlines reduced to one (black) for pnumatic tools.
4) Exhast stack lowered, and air intake filter canister cut down and angle altered to avoid tree branches.
5) Cage placed around tool rack for protection.
6) Suction hoses on racks added to each side of unit.
7) Duluge gun added just in case.
8) Trailer hitch added to pull dolly and Heil water supply tanker.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)