Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Photos of Dodge Charger/First Response.

Jeff,
Thanks for posting the picture. I couldn't figure out how to do it...DOH! The new slicktops I saw were all gray...no blue...with the orange lettering. Saw them up in Dalton on Labor Day weekend.

I remember Dick W posting way back that at least 30 departments are to be done as a First Response Charger. My guess is that Georgia will be one of them for sure. Georgia have always been willing to have their cars done as diecast replicas'.

Could the problem be with chinese imports and lead paint? The latest debacle with Mattel makes me wonder how many diecast cars/trucks that were made in China over the years have lead based paint? Glad I just display them and don't chew on them like kids do.

No Lead?

What, No Lead in my toys?? Do they expect me to lick an old water pipe to get my daily requirement of metals? Hey, I'm on a budget. Must be just another Commie trick to get us to buy more goods if you ask me !!!

Dick, I guess its a double edged sword for DD and FR. They have been pretty good in letting everyone know whats in their plans only to be let down with manufacturing delays. With the advent of the Dodge Diplomat in 1/64, FR are our best bet for this car to be done in 1/43 at exceptional quality. I hope they iron their manufacturing bugs and go onto bigger and better things.

All kidding aside, one more announced delay and I'll consider cancelling my order for First Response cars. I'm tired of seeing these "ads" and posts for the Charger, when the Crown Victoria still hasn't been issued. Its not a casting problem with the base Crown Victoria, as the PSP 10th Anniversary car was offered almost two years ago.

I've been waiting for a long time on this issue only because we were told that colored blanks would be available many months ago. What is the story here? I have several coworkers about to retire that I promised DEP cars, and if I have to repaint two Gearbox CVs blanks to silver, I may as well do more.

Chuck you old dog, you would boo Santa Clause

Mark, if Santa delived his presents in May, you can be assured that I'd boo the Old Fart. FR needs to deliver on their already promised goods, before they start releasing info on other items. We've all seen how Code 3 steped in it. That should be a lesson to all.

I'm not knocking their product, as I haven't seen it. So far I've read all the hype, and why it wasn't here in June, August, or September, and maybe, just maybe delivery in October? Anticipation if one thing, but "no ticky, no shirty" is another. All I'm saying is that they need to deliver, or we'll go elsewhere. Plus I believe I've read somewhere Diecast Direct has already dropped their order?

Yeah its getting frustrating. I'm glad I never collected Code 3 religiously (Little to no police releases fixed that) Just on Diecast Direct, I maybe wrong, but they are the owners or major share holders of First Response Replica's?

Diecast Direct owns First Response. Dennis Deal is a Diecast Direct employee. So, if they've "dropped their order," there would be no First Response line at all.

Thought that was the case, thanks Dick. Chuck, The Departed is one of my favourite films. Jack certainly has some great lines in that movie.

The First Response delay

There is more involved in issuing their Ford Crown Vics than just popping them out of an existing mold. They are trying to make sure everything is as correct as possible. If you look at the photos of the models online, you will notice some inaccurate details, such as the CHP black and white's lightbar colors, or the CHP slicktops black pushbar (should be white) These details take time to correct, as the samples must be received and reviewed, changes noted, and new samples made and reviewed again. The Charger is a whole other story, as this is a brand new tool that must be tweaked before production begins. There are a few other issues involved as well.

I know the delays are frustrating for everyone. I have said several times that I am totally behind this new line, despite the delays. Once the models hit your hands I know that you will be impressed. Countless hours have gone into the models development and production so far. I just think that they should have held off on announcing the cars until they were closer to delivery, which I think they will do going forward.

I agree that they should be as accurate as possible. However, if I understand correctly, the original delivery set for May-June being pushed back to October or later is not acceptable. Physically, if they were to make a change, say to make one piece bigger or smaller, or another color, that is literally a one day job to change. Another 1 day to run samples and proof/note the changes, and maybe a few more days to finalize. I may be underestimating the time for argument sake, but in all honestly, if they really wanted to, they could fix all of the prototype issues in at the most several weeks time..not the 5 month delay we are at now. This sounds like more of the remnants of when Code 3 dropped the ball on the christmas issue...and said they couldn't logistically pull it off..without giving a specific enough reason. I'm sorry...I guess as a consumer of anything...if I am facing a delay of several months, I feel I have a right to know EXACTLY what the delay is for something I have ordered..an explanation of "there are a few other issues involved as well", without elborating, does little to install confidence in a product or manufacturer.

Joe - I agree that it has taken way too long on these, there are other issues but I am not at liberty to expand on them. As I said before, I think they announced way too early and were overly optimistic on the delivery schedule. I am a collector as well as a retailer of this line. Despite the delays, i think we should hold judgement on the final product until we all actually see the final product!

Thanks Jeff, news from people like yourself is appreciated, not the usual board rumour starters that tend to tell a few pork pies (lies) in their posts (They should be careful as Santa will never come to them again). If people want to go to other companies to purchase their 1/43 scale Crown Vic's and Chargers, good luck as I am not aware of any that are in existance or still in the police car market ie Gearbox, Roadchamps etc. I don't think we can start comparing First Response with Code 3 at this early stage in FR's existance.

It was on one of these boards that I read that one of the larger distributors had cancelled their order, or contract with First Response. I know I wasn't the only person to read that blurb. Plus, if there is no issues into October, they will be compared with Code 3s marketing screwups, and this for a company that of yet hasn't issued their first model.

As for the delays, if it was something to do with the graphics on one or a few departments, they could have still issued the blank cars, unless it was an in-factory manufacturing problem. (example: I've viewed the photos of the interchangeable wheels (?), and I'd guess this could be a significant problem, if the wheels wouldn't stay on the axles). However, as I posted earlier, the PSP 100th was issued a long time ago, so the basic model should have been ready with no significant problems to speak. Of course, the hold up could be financial re-negotiation, or some other business related issue that an attorney would have to be involved with to work out. Who knows, as the "details" haven't been told, just delay upon delay reported to the potential buyers.

I would recommend that they first issue the Crown Victoria, and the 41 Ford (also a previously issued casting), and hold off on leaking infor about the Charger until they get their origonal products to the buyer. That way they won't see more posts on "where is it", and maybe see "this is a great product".

I truly hope this company succeeds. I would like to see someone fill the now vacant Gearbox void. Maybe its the anticipation that has gotten our dander up? But they do need to put their product out on the market very soon.

My two Yen.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)