Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Original C3 Pumpers with Antennaes

Ok....there are a few posts circulating around about early Code 3's......I got one. I bought all my LAFD Seagraves at Don Mills Models back when they came out in May 1997. None of those had antennae. When I saw them in Toys R Us and K-B, those DID.

I remember (at least I think I remember) that the antennae variation was in fact the ORIGINAL version but the toy safety folks made C3 remove the antennae if they wanted to be sold at retail outlets.

So who can give me the full scoop on LAFDs with/without antennae?

Re: Original C3 Pumpers with Antennaes

I think you pretty much have it. The initial release was of the pumpers with antenna (antenni?...lol), but to meet toy safety standards when Code 3 was sold in places like Toys R Us, etc., the antenna were removed. It was a very short run with the antenna from what I remember.

thats correct. somewhere along the line, i picked up the number 500. the first 500 of each LAFD engine had an antenna, the rest had only the empty hole. i don't know if they all had one initially or whether they just stopped inserting them during production, but the feature was stopped as the antenna was a potential choking hazard. i too have them in both versions.

Thats ONE of the details that I would like to see CODE 3 change. Add WIRE/METAL (not plastic!)type antennas on all future models where required! Obviously, radios are a important aspect of any emergency response vehicle. To NOT include visible signs (antennas) of those radios makes no sense to me. Would you leave off the emergency lights and siren, and call it an accurate model?

I bought my L.A. Engine 18 w/metal antenna from KB Toys in Western Massachusetts back in 97.

Bob

I about heard the same "Urban Legend". There were concerns little Johnny would poke his eye out, so models were recalled, antenna removed, and reboxed. However, I would assume batches with antenna were liquidated, or only a first run were made. I've also heard that there were only 50 to 500 LA 51s with antenna distributed. Don't know how true the facts.

Does anybody have a set of these antennas?

I picked up an engine 51 with antenna at KB Toys. One of the best finds I have had.

bob, it is just a piece of natural colored wire, you could cut them from a piece of "piano wire" sold at a hobby shop or hardware store. I am not sure what the exact size of the wire is.

It seems to me that the original truck with an original antenna would be the rarest of all C3 trucks?

My very first Code 3 was LA Engine 39, with wire antenna. Picked it up at a KB Toys in Gurnee Mills Outlet mall back in 1998. So does anyone consider these version worth more $ than a no antenna model ?

Here is part of the scoop I got back when I was a dealer. Yes I received LA models as a dealer. The first releases that came to the US were destined for retail as "toys" and were not necessarily a collectible at that point. As such the detail of the metal antenna needed to be removed. My understanding (as it has been posted) was about 500 were shipped to retailers with the antennas. I believe all that were found in the hands of retailers were from either Hills or KB. I do not recall any reports from other stores.

I do remember some C3 old timers even telling that they got the antennas fro Code 3 to add back on to the models. But I cannot confirm these reports. There were also reports that some of the antennas were removed from red models by collectors and placed on the E51 as that was going for more money at the time.

Are they more collectible, I do not not know. I have never actively pursues them as I could just add a bit of wire on my own if I really wanted one.

Jeff

I have a very unique set. The LA trucks given to me on a walnut plaque, with a presentation plate from Code 3...all with antenas. Also have the original sets withthe antena's as well.

There once was a baseball card that got released and then recalled (for whatever reason). That made that card a very rare card. One of those cards recently sold for 2.8 million dollars. The antennas, which got released and then recalled, would be the oldest and rarest of all C3 trucks. Any of the original antennas should be a valuable truck to have for a collector (let alone a complete set).
With today's technology, any card can be duplicated but it is only the original, unaltered cards that are valued. Just my opinion.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)