Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Dunkel & Secret Codes!

Here's my take BA 1/4 Platoon-777+2= 23 FDNY Eng-23 DP
Millennium+7=2007 12-24 The day before Christmas, Would that make it the Long awaited Christmas Piece?
But I've seen a Tower Ladder and a Rear Mount showcased by Code-3 ? Just some thought's to throw around!! I could be totally wrong.

Re: John Dunkel & Secret Codes!

There was no mention of a Christmas piece at Past Time Hobby's Open House in October except for an artist's line drawing of an FDNY Seagrave Rear-Mount done up in Christmas colors (red, green, & white). The drawing was in an 8 X 10 frame that was resting on one of the counters.

As far as FDNY's Engine 23 Diamond Plate is concerned, that idea has been talked about since December of last year when Code 3 released FDNY's Engine 21 Diamond Plate for around a hundred bucks due to the fact that they couldn't get FDNY's Truck 10 Diamond Plate out in time for the (2006) holidays.

I think you may be right with both of your predictions...but I guess we'll know this Friday!

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

I get the 23 (7+7+7=21+2=23) but how do you get Engine 23 DP out of "BA 1/4 platoon"? Just curiuos.

Could it be some reference to an FDNY work or shift schedule or company assignment location chart that would translate this from a military code into Engine 23? It's very cleverly done by Code 3, but I still think the first post may be correct...

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

You mean, they're FINALLY doing a FDNY piece? I never would have guessed....

Actually, "777" can also be interpreted as seven-cubed, which equals 343. Add the two additional FF's that were killed at Deutschbank.....777+2, at Ground Zero. Maybe a memorial rig, rather than just another bland and generic Seagrave?

Either way, it will be FDNY. Of course.

WOW what changes he has made at Code 3 so far. Another FDNY diamond plate? What is that saying again? Those that don't learn from their mistakes are destined to repeat them. We didn't get enough of the Yankees and Mets diamond plates...or the fdny super pumper fiascos...but lets pump more into another "nothing special" FDNY pumper. Forget the fact we already have an engine, "squad", and ladder from fdny...lets make another.

And where is that customer service staff (one of the biggest complaints from code 3 customers)? Heading into the busiest time of the year and he still hasn't added customer service staff...but they are busy "evaluating business needs" and "these things take time"....hahahahah...

As the old saying goes "Here we go again"! Unless I am mistaken the role of R & D director is to come up with viable models and decide which ones are to be replicated. That can and should include, with this skeleton staff, the promotion of new models and put some excitement into the line. I do not believe that includes straightening out the Customer Service department. That problem sits squarely on the shoulders of Arnie Rubin and should be his to put back in order. He was the president of the company prior to its aquisition and is now the chief operating officer and the problems with customer service should be his to make plans for a better customer service department.

John Dunkel has done a lot in a very short time that is visible to the collector. He is now communicating weekly through the "Whats New" page with those that care to read that venue. He has also made an address available for you, the collector, to voice your concerns and suggestions for new releases. Now he is putting a little excitement into the announcement of the November/December releases to stir the thoughts of the collectors and see if they are as clever as they want the world to think they are.

Sour grapes and childish comments of criticism of the most recent releases are hardly the rewards that are deserved at this time or any time at that fact. There is positive movement and presentation for the first time in a long time from Code 3 and now is not the time to throw eggs and rotten tomatoes. If you don't like the offerings - don't buy them. No one is twisting your credit card arm. The newest release is getting lots of positive comments just from the photos and I would like to think that John has had some input into that improvement. Let's give it a chance to get better.

Where are military men, what makes up a platoon, is it 4 companies, or 4 squads? I have no idea but I would guess that's part of the code.

Here's the way I see it.
On the same whats new page, the man openly admits that he does not know what an ALF is, nor a tiller !!
So whats the use in putting this man in charge of model firetrucks, if he obviously has no previous passion for firetruck and the hobby??
OK, not as bad as asking Michael Jackson to babysit your boys, but definately as good as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.
And now he has come up with some enigme code, and you are all trying to read something into it!
I only hope his calculations are better than his knowledge of a tiller truck.

is the glass half full? or half empty?

one man's "weekly communication" is another man's "load of furtilizer". true, the page is updated every friday, but how many of those updates have amounted to a hill of beans? i don't think i'd take more than one hand to answer that question.

and as far as the last stunt, i'm not so sure i'd call it "excitment" or "frustration". yes i am... frustration.

so, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

First one is up:
Diamond Plate Seagrave 2002 FDNY E23

The Big announcement is another let down.
Very nicely done but I'll take a pass. What happened to the military piece? Come on John, you can do better than this? It's been said the Thrill is gone, I think it left along time ago.

Trying to solve the riddle was kind of fun. So much for thinking "outside of the box."

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)