Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is the BEST way to remove paint form Code 3 COLLECTORS CLUB Freightliner Tanker ???

I NEED HELP! I want to remove all the lettering from the Code 3 "Generic" Freightliner Tanker. I was told that finger nail polish remover with a Q Tip works well on the metal painted areas. However, I am concerned about using nail polish remover on the lettering on the "tank" itself, which appears to be plastic. I want to remove the ALL the lettering, so I can apply decals and make the Tanker into a CAL FIRE TANKER. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: What is the BEST way to remove paint form Code 3 COLLECTORS CLUB Freightliner Tanker ???

Nail polish remover will remove the letters, & *the paint* from plastic parts. If you go that route, plan on repainting the tank. (that's how I did mine a while back)

Re: What is the BEST way to remove paint form Code 3 COLLECTORS CLUB Freightliner Tanker ???

You may be SOL on the plastic tank part. Here are a couple options:
1. Try 91% rubbing alcohol. This removes most markings on models. It does work slower than the nail polish remover.
2. Flo-quil EZ Lift Off should also work. This is available from most train hobby shops.
3. Leave the markings on and cover with Bare Metal Foil. This would be the quickest and easiset. However you may get some ghost lines from the tampos under the foil.
4. Remove the tank and and strip completely. Then paint it with chrome pain or cover with the Bare Matel Foil. Alclad makes a nice 2 part chrome paint.

Jeff

Non Acetone Nail Polish Remover

You better be using Non Acetone Nail Polish Remover or you'll screw up the base paint. And be carefull, as sometimes just removing tampos on some Code 3 models accidentally takes off top coats.

John, what worked for me on the silver tank portion was to use Testors "Aluminum Plate" spray paint in the 3 oz can. I didn't repaint the tank, but I sprayed the paint onto Q-tips and used it to rub off the red "Tanker" lettering just as if I were using nail polish remover. I don't why it worked, but it did. And since it's silver, it blended just fine with the original color.

Chuck, even NON acetone NPR will strip the paint from plastic..... & even a few die casts as well.(especially Code 3 white & almost ALL Johnny Lightning pieces)

I agree with what the others have said regarding nail polish remover. Figuring that the nail polish remover would damage the paint on the tank, but also understanding that one way or the other I'd have to paint it aluminum anyways, I decided to experiment with nail polish remover to remove the "Tanker 1" markings from both sides of the tank. I used CVS brand non-acetone polish remover as an experiment. Believe it or not, it took off the markings without damaging the silver paint or the plastic. I think I just got lucky, but my point is that either way you are going to have to do some painting, so why not give the nail polish remover a shot? If it works, you've saved yourself the painting. If it doesn't, then who cares as you would have had to paint over the markings anyways.

Mike Q.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)