Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WALTERS ARFF TRUCK SEEN ON I-95 IN GA

Was driving back from Fire East last Saturday afternoon on I-95. Somewhere around mile 65 in GA I spotted a Walters ARFF unit parked in a field on the east side of the interstate. It had a fresh coat of lime green paint and the word "POLICE" in large blue letters on the side. No idea why it was there, no signs or anything else??

Re: WALTERS ARFF TRUCK SEEN ON I-95 IN GA

Sounds like an old Port Auth. of NY/NJ truck. If I'm remember all the trucks at JFK and LGA say police on them. Something to do with the way they the airports are run.

That's interesting, I saw the same truck in that field when I was coming back to Virginia from Florida around Dec 22nd. It was rainy and dark so I didn't try to get off the Interstate to get a photo. I immediately thought of the Port Authority crash trucks too - it's similar in color to theirs - but it didn't have the PA shield on the doors or any PA lettering - just POLICE on the side. If the PA logos had been removed I would have thought the Police lettering would have been as well. However, that remains the best guess - maybe an ex-PA crash truck bought by a construction company for a water truck?

The NYPD has an Ex USAF Crash Truck in their fleet as well. However its an Oshkosh P-4. If you scroll down about three quarters the way down on Michael Martinelli's you will see a great photo of it. I mentioned this truck on this board back in 2004 when I was riding in a yellow cab to work, and this truck blasted by us on the FDR Drive!

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/specialunits/nypd.htm

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)