Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Code 3 Defectables Strikes Again

It goes beyond saying how inappropriate the latest "whats new" page is in relation to all the problems Code 3 had over the last 10 days. And still no official response from the face of Code 3.

Mr. Dunkel, do you think you are a comedian? Do you think this is funny? So funny that you keep it up with your ridiculous comments such as this

"In the past couple of weeks I have taken to wearing sunglasses in the middle of fierce snowstorms. I am sporting a goatee and mustache for the first time since I was 22 years old. On one occasion I even used my wife’s wheelchair to navigate through an airport. Why you ask, to keep all of you guessing just where John Dunkel is these days. I am flattered because never before have so many cared where I might be at any given time."

Do you honestly think we care at all about any of this?

So last week the excuse was your wife...now this week the excuse was the snow. While I understand both of those reasons, neither one explains the complete lack of response to either of these boards, or personally to any of the members or dealers who have purchased defective items. Again, this is not just the rant of one person, as some would have you think - just because some of us can write more than one liners - but it is of numerous collectors who have been screwed over with defective merchandise. As someone else posted on another board - John - they have internet in Iowa. They have internet in airports. They have internet everywhere...and it even works when it is snowing. There is no reason...NONE...that you could not have posted one message on code 3's site, this site, fireengines.net, or email anyone personally about this issue. So please stop with the games - stop telling us how you and code 3 "have marathon sessions lasting till 10 pm strategizing", or the length of your beard, or how you planned on visiting places. Lets look at what you and Code 3 have actually done since you were hired

1). 2 repainted diamond plates - one being nearly 100% defective

2). No response to item #1 to anyone even though there have been nearly 100 posts on 2 separate boards.

3). No customer service operations yet

4). A few ho-hum releases

5). No website yet

So really John, what have you done??? Other than have these little play meetings to discuss things you want to do...your famous "blue sky". You like to play word games to make people think you are saying something that is important, when really you are all smoke and mirrors. Every whats new page you have ended with "in the future great things are coming"..etc. etc...or..."it will just take a little more time for this..or this..or this issue to be resolved". You are all talk...Actions speak louder than words.

Re: Code 3 Defectables Strikes Again

Worthless Whats New Again why don't you tell us how you really feel and while your at it, stop hiding behind "worthless what's new again"...

All his posts according to his IP address, are all different silly long winded screen names.
He is affraid to post his real name, as he is from the "other" board, and they have strict censorship there.
Ho more than likely pretends to be a butt-kisser over there, so needs annonimity over on this board.

BUT... HE IS RIGHT ON ABOUT DUNKLE

His comments aside, he always takes the cowards approach. Never leaves a contact email address.

“The coward only threatens when he is safe.”… Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Here's a hint.....He/she's from the Chicago area.

And you are in the same state as Larry

First of all, the assumptions of you small minded people are wrong as usual. I have never posted on the other board. I have been on this board nearly since its inception many years ago.

I stopped posting my email on this board two years ago. Why? Because some children on this board decided it would be cute to use my email address and enter it on websites as contact information. Yeah that was real funny, clogging my inbox for months because you disagreed with my opinion. In between, there were the "f-you" emails (which were from bogus email accounts by the way). All from people on this board. So yes, I will continue to post anonymously as I see fit.

It also amazes me the amount of hypocrisy on this board. Anonymous posting aside, over the last 3 or 4 months when I do post a message, the commentary that follows is usually AT LEAST 2 to 1 IN MY FAVOR. Why is that? Because the vast majority of what I say deals logically with the facts of the matter, sound business principles, and simply what the average collector views as correct. You want to get personal? I still remember the bashing that you all did to Chuck years ago that was one of the reasons he left the board for a while. Why put up with your bull****. He had a right to express his opinion and every time he did he got **** for it. I'm not saying that I ever agreed with everything he had to say, but I respected his right to say it. I didn't call him names, I didn't email him...etc etc.

Pete UK? You have no right to even open your **** mouth. Over the last year I've seen numerous posts of you calling people idiots, stupid, morons, etc....I even remember a post where you intimated someone at Code 3 should commit suicide (after the one Chinese toy maker CEO killed himself). You, among others on this board, are constantly telling people to shut their mouth, get over it, grow up, get a life....the list goes on. Its really pathetic how a small group on this board think they own a monopoly on what can be said. Don't question code 3. Don't say anything negative. Mind your own business. If you don't like it too bad. As I said, I am not a kiss ass, never have been and never will be. I purchased, with the exception of 2 pieces, EVERY, and I mean EVERY Code 3 ever produced from 1997 through 2004, and many other pieces after 2004 but not nearly the same quantity. I have spent more than most people on this board. The true measure of someone who supports Code 3, or any company, is by what they spend on their products, not by whether or not they kiss their ass or worship everything they say, or not question them. Pete, how many Code 3 have you purchased? I'm willing to bet its less than many on this board. Again, having spent more money than most people on this board, I have "purchased" the right to criticize Code 3 as I see fit.

And finally, Larry, I expected more from you. But hell, you are the walking puppet of Code 3. God forbid you should exercise some authority over Code 3 with your website and Toy Trucker Magazine. However, on your site you were telling people to stand down and refrain from commenting until Code 3 acknowledged the problem. Well, guess what. They didn't acknowledge the problem again. I'm sure you are connected with code 3 intimately..ie..contact phone #s and such. The responsible thing to do, after seeing all the problems on your own website, would have been to call John directly and tell...NOT ask...TELL him you expect him to either publicly or privately acknowledge the problem. Further that you are going to post that you spoke to him and that he was aware of the problem but that he refused your request. I bet if you were to tell him there would be a new article in the next toy trucker about the quality control issues of diecast manufacturers in China, he would move so fast on this issue your head would spin. But then again, that might damage your personal relationship with him, and might cost you money in the long run. God forbid you do what is right - no its all about money in your pocket.

The bottom line is there are still MANY people who agree with my comments, either publicly, or privately but are afraid to post their email or their name as they are subject to a witch hunt. The vast majority of collectors are NOT happy with code 3 right now, either over their specific releases lately, customer service issues, or quality issues. Sticking your head in the sand any ignoring the problem goes a long way in resolving the issues. Using your logic, a person who sees a dui driver that doesn't want to get involved, but calls in an anonymous complaint should be marked a coward. There are many cases of anonymity in todays society - you don't need to look very far. But they are all accepted...it seems..accept on this board.

Sorry wrong Larry - meant for Larry Phillips. But the issue with name calling still applies.

peteUK,
And your point being what?? Man,did the post from Worthless Whats New Again make sense to most?
It just reinforces what I've been saying for years.Even the comments about website & T~T~M.Actually applies to both areas.
SOME people get really upset about these TOYS(in disguise as COLLECTIBLES)when the truth gets spoken.
And The Beat Goes On..........

The vast majority of collectors are NOT happy with code 3 right now.

WOW, where did you come up with that statistic? One company told me, they estimate there are about 25,000 collectors of model emergency vehicles in the world. They defined a collector is someone who purchases at least three models a year. Of those 25,000 collectors, how many did you survey?

Let's put it in perspective, there are collectors on this form and my forum that are not happy with Code 3 right now. That would be a true statement.

There is nothing wrong with posting one's opinion. The problem is that it is always the same people repeating the same thing over and over and over and it has been going on for over a year. It gets tiresome after a while. We all know that Code 3 doesn't produce what some want, repaints, wrong cab, wrong body, wrong light bar, wrong department, FDNY again, wrong this, wrong that, crappy Customer Service, no email answers. After a while, you are beating a dead horse and what does that get you. It seems some are impatient, expecting change overnite. I heard a radio station ask for constructive criticism and a someone called in and said they suck. That's criticism but certainly not constructive and that is what we have here, for the most part.

Just got back in the office from a week on the road...

How did the TOY TRUCKER Magazine get dragged into this one?

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine
(In Person!)

Well Larry P (along with Larry L, and Rich (Roadblockers), and any other website moderators or dealers. It's like this - I know there is AT LEAST 1 person on this board, if not two or three, that have Code 3's contact information - whether that be the direct or cell # to Arnie, John Dunkel, or someone else high up at funrise/code 3. With all the posts from disappointed purchasers or collectors, on either this site or fireengine.net, you hold some obligation to help them with their problems. Your sites thrive in part based on the tightness of the community. Collectors helping Collectors? Sound familiar? As moderators, board owners, and publishers, you hold yourself out there as experts...and many of you are experts in the diecast collecting world. But I'm sorry - again in the age of the internet, to wait 2 weeks (tomorrow) or more, for several collectors (and we don't even know how many have had problems and are not posting) is beyond ridiculous. Many of you vocally supported code 3s decision to eliminate customer service. Well now what you have is people sending email after email, with no response. At least one person has gotten 2 defective diamond plates, and still hasn't received the third. Everyone is in limbo, and yet some of you think this is funny. To make a long story short Larry P - The fair and equitable thing to do would be to exercise some authority over them yourself and release the direct contact information for Code 3 so that the consumers they have ignored for the last 2 weeks are able to speak with someone directly. Maybe then they will appreciate the frustration the collectors are going through. Even if it is released only on an individual basis. Code 3 has been given 2 weeks, and all John cares about is to make funny comments about his beard, the weather, and other nonconsequential or trivial items. This situation isn't funny any more, and people deserve better. And being in all your positions, you are the only ones presently who would be able to change the situation. Or are you more concerned with your relationships with Code 3 and the benefits you gain from them?

I find it sad that even though you are having such problems, you still bought another truck. And then to claim that those men who give countless hours and vast amounts of money to keep the sites open that allow you to rant is just wrong. I don't usually chime in on these, but those same guys do more for this hobby than anyone, but they do not own the company, so how can they change it?? Maybe you should stop hiding and actually be a man about it (they make email filters, I will send you one or two).
Scott Lutz
Hamilton, TX

Overall, I'm pretty bored with the whole mess. I've been too busy lately to devote much time (read: none) to the hobby, although picking up the Yat Ming 1:43's have been a recent high point.

A hobby is only what you make of it, and should be what you like. If you have something in common with other collectors (other than ********** good for you.

I'm not convinced that anyone on these forums really has "connections" or "juice" with any particular manufacturer or agency, even if that person moderates a website or contributes to some magazine or tabloid. All it means to me is that his opinions (if he has any) might reach more collectors, by way of mass media. For that reason, he might be mistaken as someone with special knowledge. Don't believe everything that you read.

There are definitely a few guys out there who do have special connections, but who never post. Suffice it to say this is why we see so much FDNY. It's not just because "it sells," It's because it's been made accessible.

You know what they say about opinions.

. . so much, not what someone who has "connections"

Code 3 Collectibles
7811 Lemona Ave
Van Nuys, CA 91405
(818) 883-2400

Call them and deal with it.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)