Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Year Ahead

So what will wallet be doing this year with die-cast?

TWH will receive a chunk of change. Probably one Quantum and two Strykers, one with Snozzle and one without. The low production run and expected high quality should make these decent resells, if I want to swap them out at later dates or future years.

Corgi hasn't blown much up my skirt with their expected offerings. Might pass on everything announced so far.

Code 3 is in transition, both working through a low QC phase and moving toward more new or updated toolings. I just have so MANY of their models. My eye has become considerably more discriminating in the last years. My shelfs might reflect this too. What was once an expanding collection is probably going to become a shrinking one.

Franklin Mint probably won't ever make another piece of fire apparatus. I did buy the lime snorkel on the cheap. It's sweet. Now I have sell my red one, or at least pack it away for a while. And doubtfully will ever display both in the same space.

Del Prado was supposedly making some repaints in partnership with Awesome Die-cast. Already have dozens of those, however.

First Gear? Haven't heard any noise about apparatus. And there aren't too many other pieces of construction equipment that can be repurposed as forestry equipment.

Yat-Ming is still a favorite, but I have grown tired of finding space for those marvelous 1.24 models. The 1.43 versions are nice, but don't make you salivate like their larger-size cousins. Maybe it's a rotation game. Just keep moving the big ones between box and shelf.

Athearn hasn't announced any 1.50 fire apparatus, yet. Or have they?

Siku is releasing a couple fire cars or vans this year, that's about it, as I recall.

Minichamps and Schuco keep producing those excellent classic European rigs. Schuco is also producing some modern box pumpers, based on what appears to be the Cursor molds. Probably won't get anything from either them. Have quite a few classic Euro rigs already, thanks to Del Prado.

Matchbox, remember them?, is releasing a 1-75 series Pierce pumper. That will be good for a laugh. Heck, it might even be reasonably to scale.

Mattel probably won't have any Hot Wheels of note. Well, beyond the various versions of the TV Batmobile. The Elite edition is due next month. Sweet.

mjl

Re: The Year Ahead

I haven't bought any Code 3 models this year, mainly because nothing has caught my interest.

I have ordered the Corgi Pirch releases announced so far and I kind of hope they expand this line with other Pirsch cabs and maybe some midship and TDA ladders.

I love the Yat-Ming models too, especially the detail on the larger scale ones, but I also buy some of the 1/43 scale rigs. Again, I buy what I like, and pass on what doesn't interest me.

And Mike, I am also looking forward to the Mattel 1966 Batmobile, both in 1/18 and 1/50 scale.

Currently I have on order thew following:
1. Code 3 - Yonkers ALF. Having spent 20 years of my adult life in Westchester, I tend to collect anything from Westchester. I was noticing today that in all of 2007, I only purchased 4 models from Code 3. That is WAAAY down from a few years ago.
2. Corgi - Milwaukee Pirsch. Model is quite similar to the former Engine 6 in my childhood hometown. I would be very happy if Corgi made some Pirsch ladders to go with the pumpers. I already have the Memphis Pirsch.

3. Mack C Rescue being released by Westchester Collectibles.

I just received the Yat-Ming Buffalo in 1:24 scale. Brings to 11 the number of Yat Ming's in my collection. Would love to see them make more trucks from the 1940's and 1950's.

Where will my money go this year? Number 1 on the list is the Precision Miniatures Cadillac Ambulance from the 1940's to be released at the end of the year. Also the Brooklin 1950 Packard Ambulance in 1:43 scale to be released later this year. I recently purchased the Brooklin Chrysler ambulance and it is a beauty. Yes, Brooklin's are expensive,but to me they are worth the price to have something I want.

If Code 3 makes something I want -- say something NEW from FDNY or Boston or a Dept in CT or Westchester, I probably will buy it. If they make something on a Spartan chassis, I probably will buy it regardless of department.

I am still on the fence regarding TWH. The Quantum looks nice but I am not a huge Quantum Fan. I still think they are kind of fugly! Now if they did one in White, lettered for New Haven, CT, they would have a guaranteed sale!

If Athearn would do more trucks in 1:50 I would be interested.

Like many other collectors, I have become more particular about what I spend my money on, probably because I am running out of places in the house to display my models. Once upon a time, the models were nicely displayed - all parked at angles behind glass. Now many are crammed together, mirror to mirror and front bumper to back step.

I like the way '08 is shaping up. My pre-orders are kind of a mixed lot at this point:

Athearn - Ford F100 Panel Truck, Mack B Pumper, Mack B Rescue

Corgi - Milwaukee, Sarasota, and Waukesha Pirsch Pumpers

TWH - Kern Co. Quantum Pumper and CFD Striker

Weshchester - West Hempstead Mack C Rescue

Code 3 hasn't done anything to impress me so far this year, but I'm hoping they get things turned around and come out with at least a few pieces that are worth buying before the end of the year.

I'd love to see Yat-Ming do some more 50's and 60's vintage closed cab pumpers.

Like many, I would like to see more 1/50 stuff from Athearn -- especially the rescues.

If the TWH pieces are as good as advertised I'll plan to get on of the PUC pumpers and probably at least one of any other fire models they do going forward.

I haven't bought a Code 3 piece in almost 2 years, and am disposing of what I have of theirs. I waited far too long for what my primary interest is: CLASSIC (by my definition, something prior to 1960) apparatus. So, I'm reducing my collection to Corgi and Yat Ming, the two companies that are doing the models I want. And the thought of an open cab Pirsch mid mount aerial makes me salivate.

I'll echo what others have said...in the year ahead I will be much more selective about what I buy. I did the same thing in 2007 as well. It's hard to justify the purchase of $50-$60-$70 die-cast vehicles in today's economy, forget defective, poorly done, Code 3's. If I'm going to spend my hard earned money on something it had better be worthwhile.

Athearn: I'm looking forward to Athearn's releases this year. I'm planning on purchasing a couple of the Ford F-100 panel vans, Mack B pumps and rescues. I'm also planning on picking up a couple more of their 2007 releases in different color schemes. Hopefully we'll see the Mack B's in 1/50 also. Even thought these rigs aren't correct often times for the cities they are replicating, they still look awesome sitting on my shelf. The level of detail and quality of the finished product are unmatched for the price.

Code 3: The last Code 3 I purchased was the San Fran ALF, which incidentally was the only C3 coming into my house last year other than an older one that was received as a gift. Until things change accuracy and quality control wise it will stay that way too. Code 3 is in dire need of someone who knows fire apparatus at the helm. The double pump panel on the Buffalo ALF was beyond sad...add to that the deck gun/tiny wheels/pump panel on the Wichita Pierce. I'd think the fact that they can't sell out a single release with runs of 1,500 pieces would say something.

Corgi: I'm really looking forward to the Pirsch releases coming up, I will be picking some of these up. I would also love to see a Pirsch midmount or tractor drawn aerial. And eventually some cab forward Pirsch's as well. I'm also looking forward to the Lawrence, MA pump that was canceled two years ago. While it's not the best casting, it's from a local department and it's lime so that sold me on it! I am a little concerned though as several retailers have it listed as Lawrenceburg, PA...but the photo is definitely of the Lawrence, MA rig...I guess we'll see.

Yat Ming: Still the best bang for the buck by far, I have 4 of their 1/24 trucks, and am looking forward to picking up more. Also looking forward to the 1/43 stuff, even some of the euro stuff that they are coming out with.

First Gear: Unless they release something from a local department I doubt I will be buying more aside from the Salem, NH Ambulance a local shop is having made and selling.

Matchbox: I'm honestly looking forward to the Pierce engine...Matchbox got me started collecting emergency vehicle 25 years ago as a kid, so I'll always collect them as long as they are done fairly well, I did skip the "Hero City" years though! I thought the International pumper and Mack Rescue were great pieces for 99 cents and have many variations of them...hopefully the Pierce will be done just as well. They do really need a better ladder truck casting...the two they have right now are beyond sad.

The same for me. I gave up C3 years ago, since then I collect a mix of what you might call "classics" from Minichamps, Schuco, Corgi, some French makes and of course Yat Ming. As far as I know, they' re going to bring out more 1/43 this year. In the HO scale, Wiking is the only make I buy these days.

The Year Ahead

I guess if I see something I really would like to have, then I'll purchase it. However, the rising cost of diecast, and gasoline, tend more to determine what items I decide where to spend my mad money. At the moment, my purchases are usually for my kitbash and conversion projects. If Code 3 were to finally issue a Bluebird, or a Bronto, I would buy one.

I agree with the shrinking collection. I may buy two Code three pieces a year. Hard to find room for anything bigger, although I mustered up some room for the FM snorkel and tower. I try to stick just to firetrucks so no 1st gear anymore, but my diecast tastes are turning to muscle cars as Code 3 hasn't really excited me much. My son accidetnally pulled down 8 shelves as one collapsed onto the other and I lsot most of my Code 3's (lime, hollywood tiller fdny with antenae) and I really wasn't that upset (yes, he is still alive) With the economy, 60 bucks is alot for a little fire truck

Being retired the THW's are pretty much out of the picture, Still like the Yat-Ming's as a best value!
Code-3 is a disappointment week after week.

What I really am interested in is the classic rigs. I consider that anything before 1980. So I have been buying the Yat Mings and Corgi offerings. I'm not really interested in a modern rig unless it is something from my area or a very unique rig.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)