Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thoughts on Palm Beach Gardens Quantum

I was reading about the upcoming Pierce Quantum from Palm Beach Gardens, FL and found the story behind the driver's side ladder rack very interesting:

"This was requested because the City of Palm Beach Gardens has large Palm trees that line the city streets. If the ladder was located on the officer's side, the ladder could be compromised when pulling up to a scene because of the trees that overhang the streets".

Interesting because the raised roof is the same height as the ladder rack. Given that fact, what difference does it make which side you have the ladder rack on? I'd rather have some aluminum ladders make contact with a palm tree than the paint on my cab. Even when you arrive on scene, you've still got to take into account leaving enough room for when the rack is deployed, which means you won't be parking right up against any palm trees.

Thoughts?

Re: Thoughts on Palm Beach Gardens Quantum

I would say, although as I am in the UK, I can only imagine, that the actual height is not the problem, its the ladder rack in its dropped position.

Jeff, it's not the height of the truck,but when lowered into position with the large number of trees and other obstacles it could hinder the ladder rack.However having grown up in the Lake Park, Palm Bch. Gardens area and working/volunteering with the FD,The trees are not that big a deal......

Palm Beach Gardens was the FIRST apparatus to have the ladder located on the driver's side?

After just STARTING to go through my apparatus slide collection which now numbers over 30,000 different rigs world-wide, I found at least 30 pumpers (of all makes & brands) with the ground ladders located on the driver's side...and I also found some with ground ladders on BOTH sides...

It's really too bad that someone, someplace is feeding Code 3 the wrong information.

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

I think they mean that specific type of Pierce engine was the first ordered with the ladder on the left side? Not the first engine in fire apparatus history. At least that's how I read it

Might have something to do with access to the ladder after the rack is deployed. If there are planters and low shrubbery up against the curb, then it would be difficult to access the rack and take the ladder off without interference from all of the plantings. Just a thot.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)