Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A apology to all Code 3 Collectors

As I've ceased all connection with a certain other forum I requested that the owners of that forum remove my intellectual property as well that being the Code 3 Collectors Database. I must offer this public apology to the users of the database that until another host can be found (hint hint) the database will not be available.

Why did this happen.
As readers of that other forum will know there was a problem with the Philly DP and that Code 3 have found a solution. However the solution does not work that well for international collectors so I sought to clarify if Code 3 really wanted to spend $195 to get a $195 model back - they won't answer. Numerous calls email and faxes to Code 3 go unanswered. The owners of the other forum don't want this to be public knowledge. Any criticism of Code 3 is removed. The next release of my database would have listed the Philly model and whilst there are a few excellent models in existence the rest are worth zero. Given that listing the minimum vale of a recent release as $0 would most likely be seen as "criticism" then posting an update would be pointless.

Had that been the only issue then I could have let it by however when an individual starts emailing my employer to check my credentials it goes beyond funny. BTW such requests go direct to me, that is part of my job, so I knew immediately what was going on, let me just say it is fortunate for the person concerned that the laws of this country are somewhat difficult to enforce overseas however they will certainly have some fun trying to enter the country next time they visit. I'd make sure I had a visa before I booked the tickets, according to my boss the visa waiver programme won't apply for you any more.

Once again let me apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. When the database returns it will be fully Microsoft and Open Office tested.

Re: A apology to all Code 3 Collectors

Amen!!

Just so I can understand your comment, since you made it a point to tell everybody on the net... You're upset that somebody sent an e-mail to your job and you found that to be uncalled for and unprofessional? So in response you are going to use your some type of official position to restrict that persons travel to your country on the basis of you being upset over some comments on a collectible toy website? And that's professional?? I guess you're right, your laws are different. If I use my work computer to research and target individuals for personal business, I get fired. Not saying your right or wrong, just trying to understand your implied threat

Troy,on the surface, It would appear he violated Australian law and included his boss. Please review the following websites:

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAInfoPrivacyFrameEn.html

http://www.privacy.gov.au/

What kind of fool would do that? Who does he think he is? Was it one of the "moderators"? I'm guessing it was. Regardless, what comes around goes around, and more power to him if he can restrict someone's access - illegal or not. Only a mental midget would send an email to someone's boss over a diecast discussion. But then again, that's exactly what some of the moderators are.

PS - Good job at banning me from the "other board" larry - you are really on top of things. Zieg Heil Larry. I hear China has some openings for webmasters to block news from the outside world going in and out. Maybe you could work for them as well.

You are more than welcome to look around the forums.

More information about banning...

There are a number of INTERNET robots that scan forums like mine and this forum for email addresses. Perhaps the collector with IP address of 71.194.34.85 has the right idea of not posting your email address with a post. The facts are that the robot will find you and the company running the robot will sell your email address.

The other day I found that there were 309 users on the www.fireengines.net forum at one time, most using the "Guest" account. Now, the forums are locked down so that only registered users can view the email address of another user so not emails were compromised.

I also look at IP addresses of users to see if the fall within the below IP address range and, if so, remove them.

Knowing this, I banned a specific range of IP addresses: 74.6.*.* and in the last 24 hours stopped 2364 hits. But for some reason, some still get through. I review the logs and see these robots are not able post or read any email addresses though.

I would guess this forum, like most, is hit with robots from time to time and the gentleman from Chicago may have the right idea.

As for banning him specifically. He is welcome to view and join the forums. I did place his IP address in the ban list just to see if he visited the forums. He does, and the ban has been removed.

This whole idea of name calling is getting way out of control for a silly model truck.

Larry ...is that one of those "silly model trucks" that your board is named after??

BTW there is far too much crap(most of it emanating from you or your moderators towards people who have been loyal members to you and your forum for many years and all because you appear to have more loyalty towards an unethical company that produces those silly model trucks...obviously not very well at times) being flung in all directions lately, time for all to take a step backwards.

No names will be given - that would be a breach of privacy. Those that need to know have been given the details or as much as they can be given. Further speculation is like guessing next months model, usually wrong but occasionally amusing except here people are involved many of whom I still count as friends despite our other differences.

The only thing I can confirm as it is public knowledge is I work for the Defence Department as a civilian employee and a reservist.

Hard to believe all this sillyness over die-cast, it's a hobby for goodness sake !!!!!

Code 3 corrected the problem Code 3 Collector was having with Code 3 Collectibles this morning. Frankly, I am surprised he did not jump on the board and mention it.

He's probably trying to figure out a way to craft his post so that he can still cast you and John Dunkel in a negative light.

Plus, he is in a completely different time zone to the rest of us all

Like that would be hard to do....

Code 3 corrected the problem Code 3 Collector was having with Code 3 Collectibles this morning. Frankly, I am surprised he did not jump on the board and mention it.

WELL, SEEING AS THIS PROBLEM WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED ON YOUR BOARD AS EARLY AS FEB 16, THE RESOLUTION HAS BEEN 6 WEEKS IN COMING. NOT BAD FOR A COMPANY WHO SAID THEY WOULD RESOLVE PROBLEMS ASAP, AND THAT THE ELIMINATION OF CUSTOMER SERVICE WOULD BE AS SEAMLESS AS POSSIBLE.

AGAIN, FOR ALL THOSE WHO THINK THAT PEOPLE ARE BLOWING THIS OUT OF PROPORTION, HOW ABOUT YOU GO TO A STORE, GIVE THEM $200 FOR DEFECTIVE MERCHANDISE, AND THEN WAIT 6 WEEKS TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK. SEE HOW FUNNY YOU THINK IT IS THEN.

Glad it was finally fixed!

Being the trusting soul that I am, given my MP background I'm waiting to confirm that what we were told was happening actually does occur. When it does then I'm sure you'll all hear about it and exactly what was done by whom do resolve the problem.

Until then you'll have to amuse yourselves with another round of self congratulation, backslapping and character assassination.

It does make you wonder how far some-ones head is up code 3's A$$, to be given that info.
I thought it would be between code 3 and the customer only.
I am suprised as well, as he has not mentioned it on his own board if he feels it is so important !!!!!

"I thought it would be between code 3 and the customer only."

Interesting statement, given that the "customer" didn't seek to keep this issue between himself and Code 3.

I think the point Pete(UK) was trying to make is that so many claim to have no personal contact with anyone at the top of Code 3, yet they had information about another collector's issue being resolved.

When has Larry ever said that he has no personal contact with anyone at Code 3?

Many times since the demise of the Code 3 board...when touchy issues arose on his board he made statements to that effect when comments were made about his relationship to or with Code 3 (he can also have any type of contact or relationship he prefers in the interest of model fire trucks and that is admirable re helping us collectors)....the point here is you appear to be defending him without all the facts..

Can you point me to something recently, especially in the context of the Philly SQURT fiasco?

Maybe the best thing would be for him to sell fertilizer, because he sells John Dunkels actions, Code 3's business practices, and his own personal acclaim for supposedly helping collectors. The rest of the world could be highly critical of Code 3, but he always, always, manages to put a positive spin on anything. Instead of being critical that it has taken 6 weeks to resolve the issue (or at least apparently resolve the issue) his smart ass comment is "glad it was finally fixed". Other smart ass comments by Larry include quoting literary works, calling people cowards, when he has shown himself to be the biggest coward by not releasing the personal contact information of Code 3 executives when there was such a major blunder leaving many collectors frustrated for many weeks. This was so he didn't jeopardize his own personal or financial gains that are achieved through his special personal relationships - god forbid he should do the right thing when so many of his own board members were practically begging for assistance after sending numerous emails to the useless Code 3 customer service. But no, he sold out the board members and code 3 customers because he dare not make a controversial stand against Code 3. Thanks again Benedict Larry.

Here ARE the FACTS:

Yes, I do talk with John from Code 3 from time to time. I also talk and email other vendors too.

This was not Andy's model that was trashed. In fact, there were two collector involved. BOTH were sending me emails.

Yes, I was involved with the Palm Beach Gardens model. This is the first project that John followed through from beginning to end.

Yes, I was involved with the Philly project. Every step of the process was approved by John and in some cases the Philly Fire Department. I am not responsible for what China does to the model or how it is shipped.

I AM NOT Code 3's Customer Support.

Yes, I locked the Philly thread on my forums. The very last post asked if anyone had problems with the Philly to please email me direct. I did not receive a single email. It set there for weeks until I removed the entire post yesterday. NOT ONE EMAIL.

Yes, I did contact John about Andy's problem and I kept Andy informed throughout the process. He thanked me for my assistance.

Yes, I emailed Andy the day before he made his final phone call to Code 3 with a contact name. I don't know if you used it or not.

Andy knows the entire story about how his problem with Code 3 was resolved. I even received an email from Andy that said, in part "Thank you for your assistance".

Yes, John is a good a decent man.

My forums is not a firehouse. You treat it like my home. When you enter my home, you do not bad mouth my wife, kick my dog, or trash my friends. PERIOD! If you don't like my home don't come in. If you don't follow these simple rules, as some of you already know, you are out the door and are not invited back.

You can stand at the sidewalk and cry and whine all you want. The rest of us just stand at the window and laugh and continue with one of the best hobbies around.

Larry Lorance and Rich Krom have done more for our hobby than just about anyone else. They are men of their word, and have done a lot to assist collectors in need. It is absolutely ridiculous that they are being criticized for correctly moderating a collector board that counts amongst its members some younger folks. The "Hitler" references demonstrate how totally ignorant some of you are.

They are not employees of Code 3, nor is their board an entity of Code 3. Their board, in fact, is something that Larry created, maintains, and funds out of his own pocket. Do any of you recall paying a membership fee? Do any of you recall ever being asked to pay one? Nope! So please respect their board as they respect their members. And if you don't like moderation, then go somewhere else.

There are not a lot of us who collect model fire engines. We need to stick together and respect one another. Blaming Larry or Rich for a problem with a Code 3 model is wrong. Not thanking them for going above and beyond to resolve a problem is just pathetic.

Get a Room!!!

""I AM NOT Code 3's Customer Support.

Yes, I locked the Philly thread on my forums. The very last post asked if anyone had problems with the Philly to please email me direct. I did not receive a single email. It set there for weeks until I removed the entire post yesterday. NOT ONE EMAIL. ""

NO Email received :That's easy to answer Larry.
As you stated you are not code 3 customer service,simple but true.
I do not feel the need to get helped by you how friendly i may find your offer.
Code 3 p*ssed me off BIG TIME on the Philly and their crap service.
The ""i feel better then you attitude ""Code 3 uses
to p*ss off all non american buyers says enough to me.
Dunkel & friends have a long way to go before i'll be buying anything unseen again.
Hans

The LAST WORD (hopefully)

Let me just restate Larry's post

Here ARE the FACTS:

Yes, I do talk with John from Code 3 from time to time. I also talk and email other vendors too.

This was not Andy's model that was trashed. In fact, there were two collector involved. BOTH were sending me emails.

Yes, I was involved with the Palm Beach Gardens model. This is the first project that John followed through from beginning to end.

Yes, I was involved with the Philly project. Every step of the process was approved by John and in some cases the Philly Fire Department. I am not responsible for what China does to the model or how it is shipped.

I AM NOT Code 3's Customer Support.

Yes, I locked the Philly thread on my forums. The very last post asked if anyone had problems with the Philly to please email me direct. I did not receive a single email. It set there for weeks until I removed the entire post yesterday. NOT ONE EMAIL.

Yes, I did contact John about Andy's problem and I kept Andy informed throughout the process. He thanked me for my assistance.

Yes, I emailed Andy the day before he made his final phone call to Code 3 with a contact name. I don't know if you used it or not.

Andy knows the entire story about how his problem with Code 3 was resolved. I even received an email from Andy that said, in part "Thank you for your assistance".

Yes, John is a good a decent man.

My forums is not a firehouse. You treat it like my home. When you enter my home, you do not bad mouth my wife, kick my dog, or trash my friends. PERIOD! If you don't like my home don't come in. If you don't follow these simple rules, as some of you already know, you are out the door and are not invited back.

You can stand at the sidewalk and cry and whine all you want. The rest of us just stand at the window and laugh and continue with one of the best hobbies around.

I also received this email from Larry

Andy, step up to the plate and tell the folks on the ATEV Board how I found out that your problem with Code 3 was corrected. You emailed me...

It was in reply to an email that I sent him in relation to a page that was still on his site despite asking for it to be removed

Now folks familiar with Larry's site will know Andy as his screen name British Firefighter.

YES I did send Larry an email thanking him for his assistance in getting mess sorted out.

YES the model was for somebody else, a fellow collector, Matt, who has been buying models from me (at cost price) and utilising the free shipping that Code 3 has given to me.
Between Matt and the other Australian collectors in the group (14 of us in total) we purchased 264 models at a cost of just under US$13,500 over the past 2 years.

YES both Matt and I sent Larry emails we also sent a number to Code 3 as well as phone calls and faxes to both Code 3 and Funrise.

YES we know that neither Larry nor Rich or even John Dunkel work for Code 3 Customer Service / Customer Support.

The story from the beginning

Matt requested I order him a Philly DP, when the model arrives there are parts missing including a mirror, the main hydraulic ram from the boom and other minor problems.

None of the main missing parts are in the packaging debunking Code 3's later claims that poor packaging was the problem.

I contact Code 3 who immediately dispatch another model as they have done on the other occasions this has happened. However the model is sent to me rather than Matt so I check it to make sure all is OK.

This model too has damage although not as bad as the first model. I contact Code 3 who agree to send a third model, which will be checked before it leaves.
In the interim more customers are found to have faulty models so Code 3 decides all models should be sent back via ground service for a refund of the model cost and shipping.

Ground service is not available from Australia so I seek clarification from Code 3. After several emails they agree that the least expensive FedEx service available, International Economy, should be used.

I requested a quote from FedEx and the cost if I pay over the counter is 50 cents less than the cost of the model. If I used my account it is some $50-00 less.

Realising that FedEx has a more you send the cheaper it is pricing structure I contact Code 3 to seek clarification of what they want done and suggest that having them pay the shipping would be cheaper more efficient.

In the interim several posts have been made to Larry's forum advising of the lack of progress and seeing if anybody else was having more joy.

At no time up until this point had any offer of assistance been made, rather posts were being pulled from that forum and various threats were being made.

It was not until well after the thread was locked that an offer of assistance was made and all the details were passed to Larry. After several days of hearing nothing 2 calls were made to Code 3, one by Matt the other by me.

The result, after the customer service supervisor spoke with her manager Code 3 agreed to refund the money paid for the model and they would not require that either of the models be returned.

As a former service quality analyst for a major telecommunications company I was happy to finally have the problem resolved. I was not happy with the time it took. On a personal note I was saddened by the friendships lost, but realised that had they been true friends then even this debacle would not have had the permanent result that is now the reality.

I noted today that there was some discussion here relating to my lack of response. I was waiting for the refund to appear on my credit card before making the details public. I also thought I should give Larry the courtesy of reading my response before it was posted. However as he demand that I "step up to the plate" he has forgone that privilege.

I don't know if Larry is "in Code 3's pocket" and I really don't care. If he is able to use his skills and experience to ensure we get a better model who am I to complain. If he get paid for it so be it we all have to use our talents to get by.

I do believe as do others that the actions of Larry and Rich have led to a public perception that they are "in Code 3's pocket", however it is their forum so that is up to them. There are other forums that I contribute to where people are aware that I run a part time business supplying lights and sirens for emergency vehicles and I quite often comment favourably about suppliers I am happy to deal with and bag those who are not up to speed. That is what I believe those sort of forums are there for, in part.

There are side issues that led to me leaving Larry's forum and he is aware of what was behind that decision and it is not up for public debate.

I hope that answers your questions.
For me it is CASE CLOSED.

This was posted by British Firefighter on the fire engines.net site....... (about the statement above naming "Andy" as BFF) The Andy mentioned throughout this post is NOT British Firefighter from the other board.

""It has been brought to my attention that a post currently active on the ATEV board that relates to the Code 3 DP Philly Squrt mentions me by both name and my board name here of "British Firefighter".
It has been stated in a post by the owner of this board that he directly assisted me (by using my name) in the resolution of a problem I was having with Code 3 after purchasing this model.
May I make it known that as I never ordered this model (from any company/store) this claim is inaccurate. I can therefore not "step up to the plate".
I have had no contact via E mail, or any other source with the owner of this board in relation to this DP or any other subject for that matter. This is a case of a person mistaking me for someone who lives on the other side of the World.
I do not post on ATEV so am unable to advise the members of that forum of this error but as I know some of the members here do use that forum too I wanted to bring this to the attention of those to who it applies.
Andy""

Thanks, perhaps you could give him a message to email me so I can fill him in on what's what.

At least we are both Commonwealth Countries...

Yep, I did mess up on that one. It should be Alan not Andy.

You will definitely have to get that KRAFT disease fixed Larry....

Now, can we put all this long winded silliness to rest.......?

The rest of us did 2 DAYS AGO

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)