Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First Response Dodge Chargers and '41 Fords

Well, I got my first batch today--the Mass SP Charger, Mass and VA 41 Fords.

Charger:
SLOPPY--crappy paint job and clear coating. Writing isn't very crisp. Tons of imperfections and blemishes under the clear coat.

As for the doors--they're loose--in fact the driver's door even sags a bit when you remove the packing band from around the doors.

The front steering is ridiculously loose. The car couldn't roll straight if it had too. Speaking of which, the rear wheels just about turn on the axle.

Antennae and LED Deck lights--again sloppy and the antennae are too think for the scale.

'41 Fords:
I think less is more in this case. No moving parts so nothing to really complain about there but again, the paint isn't all that great, BUT it is much better than the paint job on the Charger.

In all, they're not worth the price or the wait. Haven't bought a Ford CV yet, but if I know ahead of time they are like these, I won't plan to either.

If I compare them to the White Rose Caprices/Mustangs/Plymouths/Fords.....I can't even compare. Those were HANDS DOWN better.

Your thoughts--let the debate begin.

Re: First Response Dodge Chargers and '41 Fords

I agree. Check this out, I ordered 2 Mass SP Chargers. One of them is mounted on an Illinois State Police base??? The front end has a huge gap in it, the front push bumper lights are not painted, and the side mirror light stickers are about ready to fall off. I posted photos and a quick review of all the cars I got over at Fireengines.net.

Have not got mine yet. This is really sh??ty news. I thought they would get the Chargers right!! especially for the price.

Last Response, Poor Response, What Response??

Back in June 2007, I ordered a FHP CV and three silver CVs that arrived December 21, 2007. The FHP has obvious paint problems (two blemishes on hood, and a hand repaint of black/tan separation line on rear passenger side door, plus loose parts. A real POS. The silver CVs were okay, except you needed a Dremel to switch the "optional" wheels. I immediately cancelled my 41 Ford order. They could keep their crapola.

I have no faith in this company, as all I hear is the ********* quality control issues. Plus all that hype, too long delays, and just plain bad product. I have not worked on any police diecast since then. This company ruined the enjoyment of conversions for me.

First Response had it made with Gearbox folding, and they screwed the pooch. In my opinion, they pulled a Dunkle.

After looking at the photos of the Chargers on the other board, I'm not picking these up unless I see them in person first. This makes Code 3's quality control look top notch. It's a shame since I was looking forward to the Mass and NH cars, although after buying a couple of the Crown Vic's my optimism about this line quickly disappeared. Bad paint, oil all over them...and don't forget the issues with proportions.

I was on track to buy all of the Chargers when they came out, but after the junk I got, no more for me unless something changes (hopefully). After taking an even closer look at the Mass car that I did keep, I encountered the same problem as Chuck did with the Crown Vic. On the trunk around the antennas, they obviously messed up the paint, and it looks like they tried to touch it up with a brush. It looks terrible. I am going to dis-assemble all of mine this weekend, wash them, detail them with new antennas, etc, and hopefully be able to salvage them into a decent collectible

Yep, had the chance to nail the market with Gearbox's demise. Stuffed up royaly with the non existant QC. Very poor show from this company.

For everyone: I more than anyone have been seriously disappointed at the quality with the First Response cars. This is because they were my project. The prototypes were excellent then the factory got sloppy.
I just returned from China where I fired the factory and immediately tranferred the tooling to another factory which has alot more on the ball. We didn't spend a ton of money with the intent to make an inferior product. I am aware of the problems and am leaving again for an extended period in the new factory monitoring future production. If any of you would like you cars replaced I have posted my email address. Contact me and we'll replace it if we have it in stock. Thank you, Dennis Deal, Product Development Manager First Response Replicas.

Thank you very much Dennis for taking the time to post your message. Myself, and I'm sure everybody else, is aware that these issues stem from problems at the factory, and not as a direct result of you personally. Hopefully things can get back on track and we will all be able to enjoy the quality product that we've been waiting for.

Dennis, thankyou for this post. It is very much appreciated.

That is what's known as customer service. C3 could take a less or two from it.

THANK YOU! Dennis, you're a stand up guy!

UN-INTERCHANGEABLE WHEELS

I can see where the factory could have dropped the ball on quality. But that does not account for issues related to the un-interchangeable wheels. That is definately a design error/pre-production mistake, and also should be corrected.

I'll address the change out of wheels. It has been obvious that the wheels presented difficulties for some and I aplogize for that. However, changing them can be accomplished with a little problem solving and ingenuity. 1. Remove the tire. 2. Using diagonal wire cutters, cut the wheel in three equal places around the circumference working from the outside inward. The wheel will come apart without damaging the axles.3. Because the wheels are press fit, the replacements are admittedly difficult to fit onto the axles, especially the fronts. 4. The solution is to take a 1/16" drill bit in your fingers and enlarge the hole slightly, drop a bit of white glue into the hole and install.5. For the front, use a small screwdriver to support the back of the axle head as you push the wheel onto the short axle. I've talked quite a few builders through this over the phone and they have all been pleased with the results.Please note, these cars were intended to provide skilled builders with far more options than were ever previously available but they do require a little more time and problem solving than those of simpler construction and lesser accessories. We are going to post a short video or photos on our website to better define the process and tools required to tackle the wheel change out and drilling of holes in diecast for
installation of accessories. And for those that have suggested why we didn't pre-drill holes the reasoning is simple. Builders have always told me they wanted cars without holes so they could mount equipment where they wanted bvecause it's easier to drill a hole(for most) than it is to fill them and repaint. It's not possible to please everyone but the more advanced builders I've spoken with have gained alot more enjoyment from the First Response cars than any others. If you need a reasonable number of replacement wheels for those you may have ruined please feel free to email me at dennis_diecast@hotmail.com and I'll be more than happy to send you some. If you have questions, I'll also do my upmost to answer them. Thank you. Dennis Deal Product Development Manager First Response Replicas.

One other thing you all might be interested in. I have noticed quite a few negative comments regarding Code 3. Things are making even more sense to me now as I work through the problems with out First Response Chargers. The same factory that makes Code 3 made the Chargers. The first time I visited the factory Code 3 products were being produced. This is not a slam against Code 3 but the overall declining quality in many of the factories as there is so much product scheduled to be made that it's all too often rushed through production. As I've mentioed previously, I moved our production and have documented QC procedures in place which increases the review process throughout production. Again, Dennis Deal Product Development Manager, First Response Replicas.

No Thanks, I'll wait for Gearbox.

With difficulty? Using some ingenuity? I must have missed the post explaining wheel conversion required a degree from MIT, and membership in Mensa.

Where was this explanation in December when everyone was complaining about the terrible QC, and impossible wheel change from this company?

I posted instructions how to change wheels on a number of sites using a Dremel, Plyers, and a Hand Drill. It was simpler than the above instructions. And that was FOUR MONTHS AGO.

You can post excuses now that just about everyone has determined that First Response isn't worth the expenditure. No Thanks, I'll wait for Gearbox.

Hello again. For those of you that contacted me directly I was glad to assist you and address your questions and comments. Requested parts will be sent tomorrow.

It was good to communicate with modelers having plesant attitudes,skill and an interest in this hobby.

And yes, following these exchanges I am going to examine the possibility of offering unpainted, unassembled cars. Some pre-build components from the factory such as the steering would probably be helpful since the front spindles can be troublesome. But the wheels would not be installed.

I would think the chassis should probably be painted along with the interiors and other spray masked features although I don't know if the black spray mask along the side windows would be possible.

If this required application by the end builder I'm sure a few unhappy souls would complain about this too. But we can't let the occassional sour puss affect us.

If you like, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Dennis Deal Product Development Manager First
Response Replicas.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)