Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A fundraising request to help our hospital (a Canadian thing.....)

Hi…….this is a request for a charitable donation of one die-cast fire apparatus collectible for a major fundraising event in Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada.

My name is David Carr -- I am a retired radio broadcaster and now part of a group trying to give back to a community that has given us much.

On Friday, May 23rd, we are bringing the famous Artie Shaw Orchestra to our community for a fundraising dinner and dance. It will be the band’s only appearance in southern Ontario this spring and summer, so we are quite excited about the turnout; we hope for a thousand or more people dancing and bidding.

We have a major silent auction happening, and it was suggested that I try this site for potential donations. I have die cast NASCAR and NHRA dragsters; autographed sports memorabilia, regimental drum ice buckets from British regiments, CDs and more. Die cast fire apparatus would help immeasurably.

Our charity is our hospital. In Canada and Ontario, government funds operation, but capital costs are borne by the institution and the community. Our hospital is converting some operating rooms to permanent microsurgery (minimally invasive surgery) and we are part of the initial effort to raise funds for the equipment.

In our perfect world, someone among you would say “Sure!” and send us one die-cast fire truck. We know this is NOT a perfect world, so if there is another step for us to take to get items to include in our silent auction, we would appreciate knowing it. NOTE: because we are in Canada, there is probably not a tax deduction opportunity, making any donation an act of pure charity.

Thanks for considering this request. If you are so moved, I am:
David R. Carr
1158 4th Avenue W.
Owen Sound, ON N4K 4W4
Canada
(519)371-9595
dandrcarr@hotmail.com;

Location: Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada....about 5 hrs straight north of Detroit

Re: A fundraising request to help our hospital (a Canadian thing.....)

Dave, I can accomodate that request from right within your own fair city. It'll cost you a coffee at Timmy's.

From one "semi-retarded" odd-caster to another.

Anybody heard from this guy??? I have sent a package and numerous emails with no replies.
I would think it would be COURTEOUS to at least make some kind of reply. But,guess I must be wrong.

RE: anybody heard of this guy? I apologize deeply for missing your first e-mail, and no, no package has arrived here yet. If it is coming from the US, mail takes a while crossing the border. I was away from here for a bit, but on behalf of our fundraiser, certainly want to thank you for whatever has been sent. Everyone working in communities like this one appreciates all the assistance that kind folks offer. I will watch the mails (and the e-mails more diligently!

Dave

Thank You for the reply and explanation.

You're welcome, and I will notify you when a package arrives. I am quite looking forward to it.

as you can see, I did get help from John, whom I have known for 35 years (but not so well as to ask for help right here at home, I guess), so I am now quite excited about what else we will add to the auction!

Dave

I received two packages in the mail!! One from a fine northeastern state, and another from a state in the Great southwest! I believe the one we have been talking about is from the southwest, with two beautiful items in it. HH, if I am on the right track, a thousand thank you's on behalf of our hospital foundation. These are going to make wonderful additions to the silent auction, almost certainly in later blocks to let the bidding increase into the evening. Block A often sells too early and too cheaply for my liking at any silent auction.

We are on the way to a wonderful event, and it is help like this, plus the surprise package I had no idea was coming, that are going to make this work.

Again, our thanks. John, here in town, you may have to come bid, now!!! *G*

Dave

Dave,
Thanks for the update! Best of Luck in your auction.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)