Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Athearn announces another 1/87 scale Ford C pumper

This time it's a standard cab (no jumpseats) attatched to whatever manufactuer's body. I'm assuming it'll be a new-sculpt body, as the KME body isn't flush where it meets the jumpseat area, as it has the 2 axes attatched to the front wall of the body in the jumpseat area and there's a step below them to reach the deck gun, and the Ford F-850 body doesn't have a pump panel on it due to it being on the front bumper.

It's due to be released in September and there are no pictures of it yet.

This is the 3rd Athearn release of fire apparatus this year in 1/87 scale.

Re: Athearn announces another 1/87 scale Ford C pumper

Pictures...
http://www.athearn.com/Newsletter/042208/14_Ford_C_Short_fire_042208.jpg

Here it is:

http://tinyurl.com/5oj2o6

Looks good. But again high sides on the compartments. At least I will get to use them on some projects.

Jeff

I like it!

Another fine job by Athearn!

So that model of pumper would be a 2 seater? Nobody would be sitting behind the driver or officer, correct?

That is correct. Possibly three people if there was room.

Once upon a time, long ago and far away, responding fire trucks could be seen with gallant gladiators in their battle gear, standing on a novel feature called a rear step, and clinging to ropes and a handrail.

How times have changed. Notwithstanding the fact that so many brothers (most were brothers then) had to contend with those below-zero winter nights, there are more than a few of the old hands who likely miss the thrill of a ride in the open.

Now that the rigs are so much safer, I wonder when someone will figure out how to make the fires and incidients themselves safe and secure.

I still remember the day, when, tailboard riding across town on an old Seagrave, the firefigher beside me began to explain why you needed to keep your knees flexing. Then we hit a bump, and he didn't have to!

I, too, remember the days of riding the tailboard. It was fun and exciting, and it's an era that, though I know the trucks are safer now with enclosed cabs and no more tailboard riding, I somewhat miss. As we get a little older we seem to cling to the old memories, of how it used to be. I'm glad I was able to experience that period of time in the fire service.

I always get a kick out of hearing the younger guys talk about canopy cab rigs as "open cabs". I remember riding the true open cab rigs as well as riding on the tail board.

The new Athearn Ford C short pumper is appears to be an FMC/John Bean pumper, from around 1975-1978, judging by pictures of prototypical rigs of these I've seen today on the web.

Regarding that seating capacity... If I remember correctly they had that floor shifter between the seats so you were limited to a max of 2 people.

Riding the tailboard was great... kids used to stand on the street to wave at you. You know that they were dreaming of the day they would be in your shoes...

Our department had a 1976 "C" Ford with ALF body. I was a stick shift, with a driver's seat adjustable fore-aft only. The other cab seat was fixed and seated two, although it seldom ran with more than the driver. We also had a Ford "C" canopy cab FMC. It was our first automatic diesel with a Cat 3208T, very dependable. Now operated by a volunteer dept south of us.
I started out my vol ff career in Allegheny Co, PA in 1968 riding the tailboard of a 900 series ALF. We had a strap to hang onto, but that was the extent of the "safety features". Riding the tailboard sure woke you up in a hurry on a cold winter's nite!

I notice this is also available in "N" scale.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)