Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Athearn B Mack details

The chrome grill does make a difference in the model. If you haven't seen it yet, check out Athearn's website and look at the Chicago Mack B and see how cool the chrome radiator shell looks compared to the non-chrome grills. Really makes a difference.

After looking at the photos, I'll be definitely going with the Chicago one. I've looked at the others in person and the issue with the radiator shell really takes away from this model, and for what these cost I expect more.

I'm really hoping to see these in 1/50 and hoping the issue isn't carried over to that scale.

It should be noted that, while the Chicago pumper has the chrome rad shell, it is still not an accurate Windy City rig. Among other details, it should have a striped front bumper and a bell mounted on a "Y" bracket out in front of that gleaming rad.

I understand that outstanding 1/87th fire modeller Ralph Ratcliffe was front-and-centre in Athearn's development of this model, and the superb level of detail is the happy result. However, let's re-wind a bit to a year or two ago, when Ralph scratchbuilt two Mack B fire pieces of his own (pumper and rescue). They also didn't have chrome rad shells. So, I'm guessing that his concept of what looked good (and do-able) translated to the Athearn piece.

Personally? If it's good enough for Ralph, it's more than good enough for me.

Undersatnd that I'm not trying to dis Ralph at all. I just think that a chrome radiator shell looks much better and should have been included on all of the Athearn Mack B pumpers and rescues.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)