Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LA Co. Station 127

West Coasters,
I'm going to be in LA next month, want to go by and take some photos of Station 127, (Station 51)
Don't want to disturb the shift, just some outside photos, is that PC now or do they get Bombarded all the time?

THANKS

Re: LA Co. Station 127

Jim:

I have been to 127's in Carson 3 times, most recently on 9/14/08. The crews there have always been great and fully understand and appreciate the significance of their station to firebuffs. Even though most of these guys were born long after the series ended they seem very pleased any time someone stops by because of the show. Bring some money, as they sell t-shirts that say "Home of the Show" on them. Also, they have a memorabilia wall with cast pictures from the show.

The first time I went in 2001 I did call ahead and was told to stop by any time. In 2005 I toured it as part of the last Code 3-sponsored Code 3 Day, so our visit was pre-arranged. This last time I just stopped by with the group I was with and as always was given the grand tour. You will be amazed at how little has changed there since the show.

In other words, don't hesitate to stop by, but if you want to be totally sure they are expecting you then call ahead...trust me, you shouldn't meet any resistance. Quite frankly I have never met resistance at any LACOFD station I have stopped at. If you have time, Carson has 3 other stations...10, 36, and 116...stop by those too. Feel free to email me directly if you have any other questions.

Mike

I didn't make it to ST127 on my trip to LA. I did get to the Brady bunch House. But if you can get time LA City ST88 is a nice stop and the guys were more than friendly. It is the home of the USAR and the heavy equipment division. The guys invited me to dinner and offered to let me "ride along". I was in LA on business so I couldn't accept.

In fact of all the stations I stopped at in SoCal on my visits, they have been great.

Jeff

Each time I've been to a station anywhere in the US, there's always a couple of the guys (or girls) that just can't wait to show off the station/trucks/etc...

I think as adults with cameras around our necks, there is a definite amount of pride and honor these guys feel when someone takes a genuine interest in what they do.

It's funny, a bunch of times they'll ask if I want a pic of me near a rig. Afterwards I return the courtesy and ask them if they'd like one of them or their crew and I'd email it off. I was amazed at how many of them said they don't have a picture of their crew or their rig.

Coast to coast I've felt more welcomed visiting fire houses than when I visited some tourist info centers!

Enjoy your trip!

I've been on the "Job" 27 years now, and I've never had a bad experiance at a fire station anywhere in the country.
Just with all the new Homeland Security problems, wanted to check,

Thanks for the info.

I was also there in August of this year. The members of 127 were gracious, friendly, and more than willing to give a personal tour. They do indeed understand the history of their station and openly embrace it.

There were no issues regarding homeland security at that time. If you get the chance to stop by Station 127 by all means DO IT..!!

(...but do consider their mealtimes).

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)