Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Very Best Code 3...Ever?

Had some very interesting discussions recently with a number of my readers about what they thought was the very best, most detailed, most accurate Code 3 release they've produced to date. 

Their choices were varied, but all were very well substantiated. Qualities of each model represented in their choices included extremely accurate paint & overall graphics, weathered hose bed, pump panel detail, super detail parts (water cooler, deck gun, nozzles, foam containers, front suction detail, etc.).

After listening to their choices & why, I thought it would also be an interesting post for the ATEV Board.   

So...which Code 3 model (from all that have been produced to date) would you nominate...and why?

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

Re: The Very Best Code 3...Ever?

Hands down the snorkel of the Chicago Squad series. The crisp markings, sharp color scheme, functional boom, and OH MY, the detail to the equipment under the boom--the propane tank and torch, chemical drums, oars! WOW!! I didn't think it got any better--it actually didn't....it went downhill pretty quickly thereafter for C3........

Honorable Mention:

First Series FDNY Aerialscope--Particularly TL79. The scopes stabilizers actually supported the weight of the truck when deployed--none of the others in my collection do that.

Any of the 7 FDNY Squads--and the remake of Sq 61. Just nice detail and graphics.

The LAFD TDA's were sweet--lots of detail, moving parts.

Boston E24 E-One and The E-One Tower Ladder for Boston. Moving parts and accurate details.

Again, I think the top echelon of C3 was culminated with the CFD Squad Series.....after that, it was never the same

Violetville ALF.....

Larry...

I have to say that the Diamond Plate Skywalker Ranch Engine, without a doubt, represents the finest Code-3 replica to date. Nothing they have made before, or since, can equal the quality and attention to detail that this replica represents. It seems that every time I look at mine, I find something new… something that I don’t recall seeing before.

Now, if you mean replicas in the 1:64th scale, then I would have to say the Boston E-One Platform Ladder. This too is the benchmark for Code-3 in the 1:64th scale. The high quality paint job, clean graphics, the incredible attention to detail, all combine to make this an absolutely superb model.! ! ! The only thing I can fault, if I must, is the waterway on the last ladder fly. It is way too small, but I can live with that.

You all are doing just great so far...

Thanks, though for the reminder, Motorcade 1...

In my conversations, we did discuss both 1/64th and 1/32nd Code 3 models...and, yes, in 1/32nd scale, the Skywalker Ranch Pierce Dash Pumper was right up at the top of the list, and FDNY's Squad 61 Seagrave wasn't too far behind, either.

Any more nominations in either scale?

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

My choices for the best ever would be:

Engine - Tie: New-tool FDNY Seagrave and Violetville ALF
Ladder - E-One Tower Ladders (Boston & Chicago 'Special')
Rescue - FDNY E-one Rescues
Classic - Violetville Mack CF

I would also say the Skywalker Ranch. An overlooked DP, and glad I got it on sale.

But my favorite C3 issue, and probably the least detailed, is the Hazelton Suburban.

http://www.modelfiretrucks.net/smf/index.php?topic=10308.0

run them hits up!!!!!!

Most of my code 3 models rotate between my cabinet and boxes, but both the Violetville ALF and Mack always stay in my cabinet. I guess that means they are my favorites.

Regarding the excellent E-One towers, I recall one notable flaw in that tooling. The bucket rides/sits some scale feet higher than it should on the real thing.

Does that nit negate "best ever" status? Unless you modify the bracket holding the thing, and lower the bucket to correct position?

I'd second the motion for Chicago squads as the pinnacle of accuracy.

mjl

My favorite is the Hoffman Estates Pierce Rescue. It does everything a model should do. Looks good on the shelf and is pretty good representation of the real thing.

This is an interesting topic because it can go many different ways. You could vote like Chuck and I did on our favorites even if they aren't the most detailed models. You could vote on the most accurate. You could vote on the most detailed.

I must also add I like the fireboats a lot as well. For some reason I felt the need to collect them when I could find them on the cheap.

Jeff

Of the ones I've purchased I think the best one is the CDF/Highland FD ALF pumper. Detail is excellent, lines of the truck are great.

Yes, the E-One Platform's bucket mount is mounted FAR too high. But hey, at least they put a ladder cradle on it.... unlike the E-One straight stick that followed.... which is lacking in that feature.
----------------------------------------------------
I have to agree that the Chicago Squads are the best they ever did. Generally to scale, & nicely done details. I have 1 pair & they are a couple of the very few I plan to keep.(of what's left of my C-3s)

My fav's in collection go with the Sag Harbor ALF ladder, Philly Squrt 57 and San Diego L 28. Still hoping Code 3 will come out with Spartan cab units.

I think the best Code 3 was the 1974 Seagrave TDA. I know there were scale issues, but still I think their best work.

LA 51 where it all began, the rig that said to Arnie, there is a market for fine quality detailed fire apparatus. All the rigs you mentioned are just the progeny of LA 51

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)