Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Checkerboards

Looks like safety striping on emergency vehicles may be changing to the Euro look.

The typical reflective stripe is being replaced with wide reflective checkerboards on the sides and chevrons in the rear. This seems to be the case in some cities within Broward county, FL.

I only wonder why it has taken so long for the smart attention-getting Euro scheme (other than those silly beacons and sirens...hehehe)to be implemented here in the states.

No problem here.

Re: Checkerboards

And yet no proof this scheme works.

Dumb drivers will always be dumb drivers. What next we get rid of reflective striping because it is too busy and distracts the drivers? I mean we have done so with lights and sirens.

It isn't the apparatus it is the other drivers. If we could get LEO and Fire Rescue to get along we would shut down the roads long in advance of the emergency. This is what they do "overseas".

I am not saying "lime is prime" but why do we use this on our stripes, vests, cones, signs but not our apparatus?

Jeff

How about Euro-Stripes and LIME?

You are a bad man Steve....

Jeff Webster
And yet no proof this scheme works.

...I am not saying "lime is prime" but why do we use this on our stripes, vests, cones, signs but not our apparatus?

Jeff

A long disputed issue the color lime. I know a chief of a department that was adamant that Slime Green was a color that could not be missed. His own department members wanted red back.

So it was arranged for him to meet a command officer at a specific corner of a busy 8 lane intersection. Once there the command officer engaged the Chief in a conversation. During that time it was pre-arranged for three of the departments Slime Green engines to pass through this intersection along with one traditional red engine.

The Chief noted the passing of the red engine during the "conversation" with the command officer. Later when questioned if he had also seen the three Slime Green engines he stated none had gone by. At that point the command officer told him about their little test and then called all four engines to their location to prove what they had done.

The Chief saw the light. Their engines are now red. Color means little. As people adjust to such changes and get comfortable with them they then become complacent. The Lime no longer stands out. The key, as studies have shown, is to break up the color pattern. Thus the contrasting stripes and two tone color schemes as well as the contrasting chevrons on the back of some ambulances and some fire apparatus. The greatest variable and effect on the drivers will be and still is the quality of the lights (and audio devices) used to warn them. The LED lights are showing promise there as well.

I've been in accidents here, and it does not make a bit of difference if emergency lights are flashing, you have quarter mile of cones up-road of your unit, or if you are parked a good ten feet off the pavement. They'll still hit you.

Maybe if we place the offending drivers in stocks (Olde' English type) along side of road for 24 hours, with a sign that these dumb A's struck an Emergency Vehicle, only then we might see some attention paid to driving by these dunces.

But I doubt it.

Chuck! LMAO! Put 'em in stocks along the roadside!

Great Idea - now why didn't I think of that?

Chuck...you made my day ....Only Stocks??...what about a crate of rotten tomatoes for the general publics' use as they see fit on those in the stocks.....

CHUCK in GULF COAST FLORIDA

I've been in accidents here, and it does not make a bit of difference if emergency lights are flashing, you have quarter mile of cones up-road of your unit, or if you are parked a good ten feet off the pavement. They'll still hit you...

Boy I have to agree with you there!! To heck with cones, they only attract people who then drive over them. It's while they drive over them and are oggling the "strange looking orange things" that they run into you... Lets get some reinforced concrete barriers up... Let 'em slam into those a few times and it won't happen again... Uh.. At least not til the next idiot comes along..

The ones I love to hate are those in the cars who drive past an accident scene and all the kids are up against the window closest the scene(out of their seatbelts) and the cameras are lined up taking pics...then when they take something traumatic and the kids are upset....blame everyone else.

Touche'

I would love to see lime return and in fact I am seeing just that. Look at your vests look at your chevrons. In the EU all ambulances are lime for exactly that reason, they are move visible. The checkerboards only make it more so. Will it stop idiots no it just makes it harder for them. Lime IS prime and it is on the rise.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)