Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Size difference between 1/72 and 1/87?

How much larger is 1/72 scale compared to 1/87 scale? I like to collect and kitbash 1/87 scale fire apparatus models. So I was wondering if there is a much notable difference between the two scales.

Re: Size difference between 1/72 and 1/87?

The difference is about fifteen percent. To put it another way, if two figures in these scales of nominally the same human height (6'-0") are placed next to one another, the 1:87 figure will be about 13/16" tall, and the 1:72 figure will be about 1" tall. My experience with 1:72 scale figures (Airfix and Italerei) is that they tend to run smaller than true scale.

The different is closer to 20%. It is quite noticeable. Especially with figures and vehicles.

I/72 scale is one I tend to avoid. It just doesn't fit well with my other models like 1/87 and 1/64. However there is a lot of nice air craft in that scale.

There was the Del Prado OshKosh that was listed as 1/72 but when I saw it in person it looked closer to 1/64. Has anyone measured that?

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
You having fun in the first snow storm of the year? Miss you guys in Erie, but NOT the weather.

Yes we are. it stinks right now. Almost a foot here along the lake. Probalby more in the snow belt. What is worse is the 50+ mph gusts and 15° temps. That and my snow blower decided to give me a fit this AM.

I may actually get some modeling done this weekend.

Jeff

Thanks for the info!

Jeff, do you have the Del Prado Metro-Dade Quantum? If so, does it fit in well with your 1/87 scale models? It says 1/80 on the stand but I read on the 'net somewhere that it's much closer to 1/87 than 1/80.

The Del prado Oshkosh measures out to be In 1/72 scale
cab width 8 foot
bumper to bumper 30 feet
In 64 scale
cab width 7' 6"
bumper to bumper 27 feet
so says my scale rules
add another 1' 6" for the mirrors

Here is a photo of 1/87 1/64 and the Del Prado

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Nockers/My%20aircraft/delprado.jpg

Here are some shots of the Del Prado with the Code 3 Oshkosh and a 1/72 scale F-4

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Nockers/My%20aircraft/

George,

Thanks for the photos. It is exactly what i am looking for. It is a great model but just doesn't fit in with the others in the case. I am trying not to collect too many scales.

I have the Metro Dade engine as well as the Las Vegas rescue. Both may be a little larger than 1/87 but they do fit in very well. I did some measuring on them at one point and IIRC the width was good but some of the other dimensions were a bit off. The one thing on my MD was 2 of them I got suffered body fractures. Both on the compartment doors. One removing it form the base and the other during disassmebly. I am planning on converting one of the to cabinet doors by adding sheet stock over the roll ups.

Jeff

Thanks for the info, Jeff.

Awesome Diecast is supposed to be getting in the Metro-Dade Quantums again soon, according to an e-mail I receieved the other day from them, and I plan on buying at least one. I skipped on buying the DP Quantum a few years ago because one guy reported that these were way bigger than 1/87, more like between 1/72 and 1/64 the way he talked, so I didn't buy one. The other night I read on the 'net from a guy who has one and he said it was 1/87.

I have the Montreal E-One HP100 and it fits in well with my other 1/87 models, so I'm not too worried about the size of the MD Quantum.

How easy or difficult would it be to remove the Vector light bars and the deck gun on the Quantum? I'm not crazy about how they look and would like to replace these with something more realistic-looking.

Are you painting one of the Quantums yellow to match your Jeffville Fire Department fleet?

All the parts come off the Quantums pretty easy. Really no different that other models. I will be painting them yellow. Although it may have ot wait until spring since blizzard season is here. Painting in sub freezing temps does not make for nice models.

Jeff

OK, thanks. I'll have to give it a try then.

Regarding the statement about Airfix and Italerei figures running smaller than 1:72, I'm not sure about Italerei but Airfix figures are OO guage (1:76 scale), not 1:72. Several British companies began 1:76 scale lines over the past few years (and a couple of bus series like EFE and Original Omnibus already existed) and have released a large number of mainly British vehicles in 1:76 (for example, Corgi, Oxford Diecast, Base Toys, and Classix. The range includes a lot of British police cars and is beginning to include some nice fire engines like the "Green Goddess." Anyway, one would think there wouldn't be a very noticeable difference between 1:72 and 1:76 but comparing the 1:76 police cars I have to Hongwell 1:72 cars it's obvious.

Does anyone have the Del Prado Sutphen pumper? It's listed as 1/72 scale, but I was wondering if this is accurate, since Del Prado tends to sometimes make mistakes when listing scales. The E-One HP75 quint is definately smaller than 1/87 scale, more like 1/80, as others have said in the past about that model.

Sorry, meant to say the E-One is more like 1/90 scale, not 1/80!

Jeff,

Surprisingly the E-One is near dead on 1/87. I did the measurements when it first came out because I thought it was way to small. But it scales out near perfect much to my surprise. Now the way it is put together it a different story.

Jeff

Jeff,

If the DP E-One HP75 is near dead-on 1/87 scale, then the DP Bohemia Pierce Dash quint and Boley Spartan pumpers are larger than their intended 1/87 scale sizes.

When sitting side-by-side, the DP E-One HP75 is noticebly smaller in scale than the DP Pierce Dash quint. That's why I thought the Pierce was more dead-on 1/87 and the E-One was 1/90, at least from what I've read here in the past about these models.

I'm not calling you out on it, I'm just a little baffled, because, to me, the Pierce looks much more like a 1/87 scale model, size-wise, when sitting next to other 1/87 scale models, compared to the E-One HP75.

BTW, do you have the DP Sutphen pumper(s)? If so, do they actually measure up to 1/72 scale, or are they actually larger or smaller?

OK my memory is a bit off. You and I discussed this right here a couple of years ago.

http://pub14.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=1136930767&frmid=6&msgid=585434

The E-One is 1/90. FYI I think the Boley Spartans are a bit large but we all accepted them as factually correct. When next to other HO they seem like they may be closer to 1/85. But in a small scale only 1 or 2 points off can be a big thing.

I Don't have any of the 1/72 models. They are trucks I like but just too far removed from either of my fire truck scales of 1/87 and 1/64.

Jeff

I got my DP Miami-Dade Quantum pumper today. Not a bad model, a little larger than the Boley Spartans, but it still fits in well with my other 1/87 scale fire apparatus models.

I ordered the DP Quantum Las Vegas heavy rescue last night from Awesome Diecast. Should get that in another week. There's some pretty nice detailing on there, from pictures I've seen of it on the 'net from all 4 sides, especially in the rear of the truck.

Receievd the Del Prado Quantum Las Vegas heavy rescue yesterday. It's a little larger than 1/87, as it's listed as 1/80, but it fits in OK with my other 1/87, etc., fire apparatus models. What's impressive, to me, are the details of the back of the truck, with the quartz lights, the ladder leading up to the top, and the extension ladder stored on top in between the hatch compartments. I like the telescopic quartz lights located just behind the cab as well.

I'd love to see this rig in a generic model, in solid red with white reflective striping.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)