Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2009 Hallmark '65 Chevy....

So I did my usual this morning and hit the local Hallmark shop in NOVA looking for a have price ornament--this collection has been going for 7 years (the fire truck series) and I have NEVER had an issue finding one the day after Christmas. In fact 2 years ago....I was getting Ford Cs for 5 bucks the last weekend in January......

This year.....5 stores, not one to be found. In fact in 2 of the stores I was told that piece sold out "well before Christmas."

Just curious if you guys ran into the same thing.....

Re: 2009 Hallmark '65 Chevy....

Didn't have to buy mine. My mother-in-law got it for me for Christmas.

Larry: For what's its worth, I asked a store manager a couple months ago about the color variation. She was a aware of them (first time one knew about them)and said they usually come out in late July or August the same time as the regular version. I have never seen any here in Md..... Besides the ones Jack Gerhart got me some years ago.

Steve...

From previous research for my column, and, as per Hallmark, the color ornament variations are released in November of each year in about twenty + Hallmark Stores around the country when these specific stores host what's called an 'Ornament Signing Event'.

That's when Hallmark representitives and staff artists go to these stores and 'sign' the actual onaments they've designed. Again, the location of these stores changes every year to give Hallmark ornament collectors in different parts of the country the chance to attend. The store locations are announced (in advance) each year in the Hallmark Collector's Newsletter(s).

The color variation ornaments sold at these events are sold at the exact same price as their regular versions and in the exact same boxes...with the difference being the (variation) boxes have a gold sticker on them indicating the difference in the ornament color inside the box.

All the fire engine ornaments to date have received this 'colorway' treatment...but I haven't heard of the 2009 '65 Chevy being offered that way...yet.

As per Jackson Gerhart, that's one gentlemen that the collecting community in our hobby misses more each day. I did a tribute to him in both my column and in the VF...and there are still many times I wish I could pick up the phone to bounce things off him.

I'm really thankful that Robyn and I were able to visit with Jack and Patsy in their home in Pennsylvania on our way out to NY the year that he died in a LOD accident...and, needless to say, no one knew at that time it would be our last visit together. Jack was a gentlemen's gentleman, and the Firehouse in Washington, DC that is now dedicated to him is a very fitting memorial to his life and to his service.

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

John A.
So I did my usual this morning and hit the local Hallmark shop in NOVA looking for a have price ornament--this collection has been going for 7 years (the fire truck series) and I have NEVER had an issue finding one the day after Christmas. In fact 2 years ago....I was getting Ford Cs for 5 bucks the last weekend in January......

This year.....5 stores, not one to be found. In fact in 2 of the stores I was told that piece sold out "well before Christmas
."

Just curious if you guys ran into the same thing.....

Been a lot of news about stores not carrying full stock anymore in light of the current economy. Too many left with way too much stock the last few years. This way they were better assured of clearing out their stock rather than selling off at a loss or storing it. And Yes, it has been noticable.

An Update...

This morning, Dick Logan in Fargo talked with a woman he's done business with previously in the Twin Cities area who runs a pretty decent mail order collector 'out-of-production' Hallmark ornament business with customers all across the country...

After Christmas, she, herself made the rounds of just about all the Hallmark Stores in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area and didn't find any of this year's Fire Truck Ornament...so what you're finding (or NOT finding) in other parts of the country looks like it's going to be, unfortunately, the norm for this year...

She also told Dick that the 'colorway' version of the '65 Chevy Fire Truck has NOT yet been released in another color...but she would keep Dick posted on that.

A tip of the White Helmet & Santa's Hat to Dick for furnishing the information...he called me after the plow made it's third pass right over his driveway!

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

Thanks guys!!

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)