Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hallmark Update # 2

I visited with a Hallmark Store Manager at length while we were out west this past week; she was very helpful and provided this information...

At present, Store Managers are shown the new yearly ornament line-up in early March of each year (tooling has already been completed for each ornament and samples have already been test-run)...and after reading and evaluating what they (the Managers) think they can sell in their own individual stores, they then place their own orders with Hallmark for each of the ornaments that are in the line-up.

Once Hallmark has the total quantities (per ornament) from all the stores, they are produced (some production is started prior to this to ensure on-time delivery) with very few production extras...and the stores then get the quantities they initially ordered.

In July, the Annual 'Open House' takes place nationwide and 90% of the 'new' ornaments go on sale; the 'new' respective yearly catalog is also available and given out to collectors at this event. Members of the Hallmark Ornament Club (you have to pay to join this) get a jump on what's coming out in their newsletters.

The other 10% of the 'new' ornaments are released slowly from then on up to and including the first part of November to keep the collectors coming back if they want to purchase any of them...

According to this Manager, this year was the lowest pre-order figure (from all stores) she has ever seen, with her own store included. She also said that in years past, all Hallmark Stores had a pretty good stock remaining of just about all the ornaments for each year that went out the door at 50% off the day after Christmas, and then at 75% off a few weeks later. Needless to say, the new pre-order (actual) quantitiy policy that each store thought they could sell was to ensure as many 'full price' sales prior to December 25th...and, as far as corporate economics goes, that does really make a lot sense...for them.

This manager also shared with me that she has had numerous phone calls from just about all over the country from collectors looking for certain sold-out 2009 ornaments...the Fire Engine included, along with this year's related Snoopy with-the-fire-helmet ornament as well.

So, there you have it...and it is also kind of a 'heads-up' for us for next year and next July when the 2010 ornaments make their debut at Hallmark Stores all across the country. Unfortunately, the buy-it-at-half-price the day after Christmas doesn't seem to look like it will work any more (at least with the more popular ornaments) with this new pre-order policy, so a word to the wise is, next year, simply buy what you want as soon as they become available...

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

Re: Hallmark Update # 2

I was lucky enough yesterday to find someone who posted 4 of them on Ebay with Buy it Now. He asked 24.99 with free shipping--considering they sold for $18.50, he basically sold them at cost plus a nominal shipping charge included in the price.

Needless to say I jumped on it and bought one....especially when the bidding on most other auctions was already over $25 PLUS shipping.

Within 2 hours, he had sold all four.....

They are out there are reasonable prices.....just keep looking.

Thanks for the info Larry, and yes, based on what you presented, I will buy mine right away.

But one last thing, I thought this was only supposed to be a 5 piece release.....we are now up to 7.....Any idea how long it will run?

The only other Hallmark's I collect were the Tonkas--there wasn't one in '07, but they had one last year, but nothing again this year. My favorite was the '56 fire engine they released.....was hoping if the line continued we'd see the Tonka snorkel....but doesn't look like that will happen.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)