Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: An "Emergency" question or two !!

Jim,
I would bet that the 'Q' on the squad was under the hood. Back in the 70's Federal made a version that did not have the big shiney chrome housing, but was just the basic siren. It still had the sound but was about 1/3 the size. Just my opinion, but I know my FD had one on our tanker and it was smaller than the big Q2B, which is what the chrome model was called. Hope that helps.

I think it was just a dubbed sound.

A lot of the dubbed siren sounds were incorrect. As I remember, you could hear a Fed. "Q" on a police cruiser!

When i started in Police work, about 50 years ago, we did not have electronic sirens. All rigs had smaller Q type, roller, sirens under the hood. Later some departments started mounting them on the outside.

Definately the dubbing. One time the engine was shown responding with the Squad's siren sounding while the squad, responding from another location had the motorized siren from the engine sounding. Just the audio dubbing guy asleep at the switch...

I agree with the sound edit error. However our department at one time had an early 1970's Dodge TAU and we mounted a full sized Federal Q2B, minus the chrome cone back,under the hood.

Got any more questions?

I'll be with Randy Mantooth in about two weeks...

He's speaking on behalf of the ND Fire Chief's Association at this year's ND State Fire School...

Should be interesting, to say the least!

Larry Phillips
TOY TRUCKER Magazine

I always got a kick out of the 'european' 2-tone siren dubbed in latter episodes

I also remember on the '72 LaFrance I used to drive, it had a Federal electronic siren that if it was set to 'yelp' and you hit the manual button you could get a 'hyper yelp' - I don't know if it was a feature or a flaw in the siren box...

You could get some strange sounds by hitting the manual button. Also, put the selector button between options..then hit the manual button............

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)