Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NO SKILLS

Skills,

You do raise some valid points. However they are undermined by your comments about other boards. It is a thinly veiled attempt to drag others into a battle of words not about modeling but board moderators etc. As the board owner I don't like this. Please stop.

As for modeling skills. It took me decades to get to be a decent modeler. I made some crap. I know it is crap. So do others. But that is how we learn. Honestly today I can tell you more about how to build a great model but still can't do that on a consistent basis.

Modeling in small scale is quite difficult as errors are magnified. This becomes more exaggerated with 10 MP cameras and high def monitors. I see mistakes on models on the computer i never picked up with the naked eye.

Here are some of my earliest models
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Sirentoys/Customs/Early%20Models/

These were mainly done in the late 80s and early 90s. I have since upped my game but I am not a contest winning modeler.

In my opinion, modeling is a solitary hobby. Most modelers build for their own pleasure. The fact they get some recognition or accolades is often icing on the cake. As for PC and no negatives regarding "crap" models, that is often the best way to handle random posts or pictures. Unless the person is asking for a review I won't give one. Too much bad mojo out there in internet land to be picking a fight about a silly model we make. Even if I comment, I would offer constructive criticism. Also remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone can be a critic.

If I could offer advice to modelers it would be to get the magazines Fine Scale Modeler and Scale Auto Enthusiast. They offer tons of tips and skills that carry over to all types of modeling.

As far as Kitbashing, well that term became abuse a while ago. I think that Code 3 modelers may even be the ones who *******ized the term. When I started modeling, there were 4 main classifications for models.
1. Box Stock which was building a model straight from the box with no modifications. You could change the paint, decals, etc but it was essentially the way you got the model. So a First Gear model stripped and re-decalled would be a box stock.
2. Modified was taking an existing model and modifying it in some manner but essentially it remained the same model. Converting a Code 3 rescue from a tandem axle to a single axle is a modified model.
3. Scratch build was making a model basically from the ground up. Most often this referred to only a portion of the model. So making a rear module for an ambulance would be a scratch built component.
4. Kit bahsed was combining parts from 2 or more kits to create a new model. So using a Code 3 cab with an Ertl rear section would be a kit bashed model.

But I have learned to accept that the majority just use the term kit bash to refer to any modeling that involves an existing piece.

Have fun.

Jeff

Well said Jeff... Very well said.!!..... With that, I believe this subject is closed.

I expressed a point of view. George (another person I have never heard of before) had a hissy fit and got snarly, and I chose to shut him down. Tell me its not true some board operators care more about corporate sponsorship and making a buck. It just seems to me you can't make a comment about any manufacturer without one of their minions going off on the poster.

And, I was not refering to Jeff Webster in my origonal comments. Plus I still have no idea who Larry might be.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)