Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Corgi New Product Development - Fire/EMS

Corgi is looking for input into its specialty product line and in particular is looking for feedback on its Fire/EMS collectibles in 1:50 scale. We are interested in your thoughts on the following:

1. Scale sizes Corgi should manufacture?
2. Manufacturer/city licenses to consider?
3. Re-paints of current tools/models to consider?

Thank you for your feedback-

Re: Corgi New Product Development - Fire/EMS

It's time for Corgi to make some Pierce's

Pierce Velocity's

Also some Braun Ambulance's would be nice

I would always vote for well-detailed 1/87th scale models. We are overdue for a good Aerial-Platform Quint in this scale. Pierce very welcome, also ALF Eagle. Rescue Pumpers too.

And please, pay closer attention to quality control on your current product. I have not found a Sarasota Pirsch I would add to my collection because of paint pimple problems on all (10 or so) I have inspected. Also warped ground ladders, and WHY is the hose in the bed the same colour as the main truck body. Shortcuts....bah!

John Christie
I have not found a Sarasota Pirsch I would add to my collection because of paint pimple problems on all (10 or so) I have inspected. Also warped ground ladders, and WHY is the hose in the bed the same colour as the main truck body. Shortcuts....bah!

I finally got mine & other than the red hose & over chromed headlights, is flawless. I almost don't want to cut it up make a Pirsch tiller.

I hope Corgi gets back into producing North American EMS Models, since there seems to be a lack in the market right now of detailed realistic Ambulances in a larger scale. Code 3 was on the right track but has since stopped production of the EMS line. Corgi started up with the Fire Heroes, but only releaased a few models.

Newer 1/43 or 1/50 scale replicas would be great. Generics to start off with but I'd love to see actual City and rural Units depicted in the series, as well as Federal agencies. Some Canadian units would be great - e-mail me for pics (hint hint).

Bring it on Corgi !!!!

Having been a Corgi dealer in the past as well as a large collector I am not sure where to tell you to take the line. I know towards the end of my run as a dealer I was having a hard time giving these away. I may even still have some stock stuck in a storage unit. Over the years the line became quite fragmented and lost its way. Scales varied as did target markets etc. The fire heroes could have been a great line of affordable models but the quality was below the market price and the scales were all over the place. They were made like toys but sold at prices well above comparable models for many of the releases. Even if there had been 2 scales I think it would have been better. The E-One rescue is a great starting point for HO models and I have seen many on layouts. The open cab ALFs and some of the others make nice shelf sitters but their scales do not mesh well with other collectibles out there. The Ford Ambulance just looks out of place on the shelf. To big for 1/64 and too small for 1/50.

As for the larger/more expensive lines, pick a scale and go at it. Decide what end you want to be and target it. The Pirsches are quite nice from what I have seen. But there is some inconsistent quality. I do think many collectors from the heyday a few years ago got turned off by the old casting being released and the scale that wasn't 1/64 Code 3 was releasing. Stand alone and go for it. Code 3 is Code 3 and Corgi should be Corgi. Look at perhaps what Signature has done with the Mack C. A nice model at a relatively affordable price. Much more so than a Corgi. I personally like the 1/64 scale as it fits with a wider range of other cars like Matchbox, Green Light, Johnny Lightning etc. I also like the 1/87 scale like John above. But in that scale you better make it plastic and make it well if you want to thrive. Plus keep the price at about $15-20 for an apparatus. If the E-One was re-tooled slightly to eliminate the large rear lights and have the cab light bars as add on pieces or at least part of the window assembly, I think you could sell quite a few to the HO modelers.

I am not bit on opening features in small scales. They just leave me cold on panel gaps, hinges etc.

Right now I think it is just important to get product on the shelves. Except for one store, I haven't seen a new Corgi model in hobby shops on a long time. Out of sight becomes out of mind.

Jeff

My biggest complaint with Corgi, like C3, was all they did was repaint the molds and sell them as new trucks. I have a couple of the first ALF's, but after that I only bought one of each, unless the model changed.

I still don't know why so called 1/64 is so popular when all the so called 1/64 pieces ALSO bounce all over the spectrum of scale. Even the high & mighty C-3 doesn't seem to know what 3/16" = 1 foot in 1/1 scale means.(that's 1/64 or "S" for those that don't know) Anything that fits in a 3.5" blister is now known as 1/64 which is WRONG! One of the hugest offenders(also known as FALSE ADVERTISING) is Jada. They wouldn't know scale if it jumped up & bit em. It's why I dumped the scale entirely & went to 1/50. Are there problems with 1/50? Yes, but FAR fewer industry wide. Corgi had that smaller scale series that were mostly older molds from another company, but never claimed them to be any particular scale. Retailers & eBayers marked them as mostly 1/64(again...WRONG). The Signature Mack Cs are another item of scale flux. They are actually closer to 1/48. Most are sold as 1/50, & some still list them as 1/32! For Corgi, I say stick with 1/50, including chief's vehicles. Redoing the Monaco was great, but looks terrible in 1/43, next to a 1/50 truck.

Corgi models are getting better.The hose loads nerd a lot of work !

A lot of good points have been made in this thread. Being a die hard ambulance collector I'm looking for more EMS units to be made - I'm not fussy on scale, but I am on details like proper emergency lights, stretchers and deatiled interiors (if larger scale models are produced).

Something else to consider is Medic Fly Cars, ERU's or Supervisory units like Tahoes or Expeditions.

Just more fuel for the fire

My Sarasota Pirsch is Flawless also. I would stay away from Pierce and Alf has Code-3 has Flooded the Market with them.

I've said this before on this forum, but here goes again - I think Corgi would have a sellout model if it would make one or two '60s professional car-bodied ambulances. Cadillacs by Miller-Meteor and Superior are the natural choice but I also wouldn't mind seeing a Pontiac or Buick based ambulance. There has been a crying need for one of these in 1:43rd or 1:50th scale since the Corgi and Dinky ambulances of the old days. NEO is bringing out a really nice resin 1:43rd '66 Caddy this year but it will be very limited, very expensive and probably only available overseas or from one or two US dealers. A well-made Corgi Cadillac ambulance would be at the top of my list.

Dick... I place my nomination for an early 70's vintage hi-top cadillac ambulance along the same lines as you suggest.

I too, would love to see a well done Caddy ambulance in 1/50...

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)