Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Carbon Motors

I have my doubts that these will ever really catch on. To many PD's have their own set-ups for the cars and a custom vehicle like this will not give them the options that a stripped down CV or Impala with a police package would have. Also, I'm betting that the price of these babies will make them too costly for the PD's, especially with the budget crunches that most cities are going through. The local Ford and Chevy dealer can always work a better deal that some customizing shop. They may have 12,000 reservations, but lets see how many really get sold.

Paul Tate
I have my doubts that these will ever really catch on. To many PD's have their own set-ups for the cars and a custom vehicle like this will not give them the options that a stripped down CV or Impala with a police package would have. Also, I'm betting that the price of these babies will make them too costly for the PD's, especially with the budget crunches that most cities are going through. The local Ford and Chevy dealer can always work a better deal that some customizing shop. They may have 12,000 reservations, but lets see how many really get sold.

As a police officer with 20+ years experience in spec'g and purchasing cruisers, let me clarify... you raise some good points, especially about the up front price of the Carbon vs. a sedan from the "big 3", but these days very few police agencies just "go to the local dealer" to buy cruisers. Most "local dealers" won't sell police cars because they are a fleet purchase and most smaller dealerships do not want to deal with fleet sales. For the most part, agencies across the country deal with larger regional retailers willing to specialize in fleet sales. In my area, a large majority of police vehicles purchased in MA, RI, NH (and even CT and VT) come from one specialty dealer (MHQ) whether they are Ford, Dodge or Chevy. They are bought off established state or municipal procurement bids (i.e. Mass State Police cruiser bid, or City of Boston cruiser bid, etc.)... everyone pays the same price for the comparably-equipped car. Lightbars, cages, radios, etc. can also be part of the overall bid. No one gets "special" deals in this process. There really aren't any "custom shops" cutting deals out there, because quite frequently, they have to buy off the same procurement bid to be competitive.

That said, Carbon is "trying" to keep the car within the 45-50K price bracket. That's for a vehicle that is designed to be longer lasting and renewable after several years w/resleeved diesel engine and fresh drivetrain... something you can't do with a beefed up production sedan, nor would the "big 3" design police vehicles (a niche market) to be so.

A stripped police sedan from the "big 3" is in the neighborhood of 24K WITHOUT lights, siren, radio, cage, console, etc. While the upfront price of the Carbon is higher, it comes fully equipped, and, if it lives up to it's design specs, will not be turned into a taxi cab in four or five years.

I certainly hope Carbon makes a successful go of it, it's about time law enforcement got a "purpose-built" vehicle instead of up-graded civilian sedans.

It will have a lot of competition now that Ford has announced a Taurus-based Interceptor to replace the Crown Vic after 2011 and Chevy is going to introduce another Impala. Should be lots of model possibilities if all these cars get made - hope First Response is still around then! (Of course, they're all uglier than the current cars - look like Hot Wheels cars in my opinion, and the Carbon car is the ugliest of all.)

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)