Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Your thoughts - Will we ever see...

Right now I don't think there is a collector market for them. It is 2 fold.
First money is tight and thus a relatively expensive piece is a real luxury. Knowing the manufacturing and materials market a DP of past quality would be close to $300. To add to this the target demographic for this model is not a wealthy collector but firefighters who are middle class. A $300 race car has a wealthier target audience and even their sales are down.
Second, Code 3 has taken hits in the collector market. Some are justified some I think are just piling on. They still make a really great, affordable collectors model in 1/64. They became their own worst enemy with adding so much detail they really cannot step back without taking a beating on boards like this. Also because the DP have not sold well, a lot of people have bought them on discount/clearance. Myself included. So they will just wait for the price to drop before buying.

I think they could make a model with a lower parts count that would look just as good on the shelf. Think about it. Do we really need posable steering or opening compartments? Bring the price point down to a manageable $100-124 and I think they would sell a lot of them. At $200-300 it is a tough buy. Most Collectors will only get one or 2 of the DP so even at the price point I suggest, the model either needs to be for a department who has the staffing to buy a lot or be a real hit.

I think a LA County Ward would be a great subject. The engineering has already been gathered for the 1/64 scale. It is a large department. There is always the Emergency! tie in. Plus the cab could be used for other departments later like Chicago or Houston.

Jeff

Heck... I'd love to see an L.A.F.D. Dash as a Diamond Plate! However, as you said, it is unlikely.
In fact, here is a quote directly from Ken... and sad news at that....

There are no plans to produce 1/32 models at this time. The last two 1/32 models we produced have not sold out. If I was to place a bet, I would bet that we never produce another 1/32 model (at least not for the next 2 or 3 years).
Ken Mistove
Code 3 Collectibles/Funrise Toys
16 March 2010 01:57 AM

Jeff W, I agree with you about lowering the parts count in order to make the models more cost friendly.

I look to the Highway 61 1:16 1975 GMCChevy engines. Cost is just under $100.00 and the quality is nearly equal to that of a DP (in my opinion).

The thing that really needs to happen with Code 3 is a serious upgrade in their quality and price and a decrease in the number of their respective issues in order to ensure that they are, as their name implies ..collectibles, because at present they are not in the realm of the serious collectible.

As for the cost...there are model manufacturers out there who produce truck models in the 100 to 150 issue of the same type of model with later repaints in far higher detail than Code 3, in the $200 and higher range and they sell out in hours upon release.

Same goes for many other model issues of tractors, cranes, bulldozers, excavators...the high end ones in limited release numbers sell out within hours of release, so the price is not the problem ..the number of the release is though.

I purchased a model just before Christmas in the area of $1200 ....it sold out in less than 6 hours of release (release number was 600) ...try to get one now. This is not a one off situation it happens on a regular basis with many limited release high end models.

Just out of curiosity... What was the model. I'd like to see it if you could provide a website and name of the item. I am assuming they would provide detailed photos.

Sent you a pm...hope it answers your question..and gets you into a seriously expensive part of the collectible world.

GC1 - Could you also please send me info on that purchase? I'm curious too.

Tx

Done Jeff...

Tx GC1

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)