Ace Sharpening Message Forum

Please feel free to ask a question, impart some sharpening knowledge, comment on the site, or discuss any topic you would like to address this is the place to do it! If there is anything I can do to help you please ask. If I don’t know the answer to your question then hopefully someone here will be able to answer it for you. If you see a question that you know the answer to please feel free to add your answer or suggestions to any of the existing posts.

Thank you for visiting Ace Sharpening & Co!

Sharpening Message Forum Topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lard Oil for clipper sharpening wheels

OK guys,
I made some more lard oil and took pictures to share.

The mix:
1 cup (250ml) of odorless paint thinner

1 16oz (1lb) block of Armour brand lard (manteca)

Pour one cup of odorless paint thinner into a disposable one quart (or larger) glass container. (I'm using a wide mouth one quart mason jar.) Place the container into a pot of warm water and apply a gentle heat. (I have a gas stove that I set to the lowest possible without extinguishing the flame.)

Once you see the water start to steam kill the heat (but leave the pot on the stove) and start adding the lard. I cut thin slices and add more as they disolve.

You will have to turn the heat back to low periodically, turning it back off when the water starts to steam again.

Once you have dissolved all of the lard remove the container and let it sit until it cools to room temperature (about 90 minutes). Then chill it over night in the refrigerator. Remove any solid pieces of lard that re-form, if done right there won't be any.

This mix makes about a quart of "plumber's lard oil"

A quart of odorless paint thinner costs $10 and we only used 1/4 of it ($2.50)

A pound of lard costs $2

Total cost for our quart of plumber's lard oil $4.50

1 gallon from McMaster-Carr $21.56 ($5.39 a quart)
Plus shipping time/cost of course!

And of course mix this quart of plumber's lard oil with a quart of odorless paint thinner and you have made half a gallon of "premium spray adhesive" for about $15.00!

I hope this helps save some time and money for yall!

Thanks for reading,
William Hornibrook
https://www.facebook.com/Hornibrookmobilesharpening/

This was supposed to be the first image in the above post:

William Hornibrook
https://www.facebook.com/Hornibrookmobilesharpening/

Update:
Here is the plumber's lard oil after a night in the refrigerator, notice the color change (the half gallon mason jar next to it contains a quart of odorless paint thinner)

Note the viscosity at 34°f

After you pour the plumber's lard oil into the odorless paint thinner you will see solids that formed in the inside of the container, do not use this stuff just discard it.

Here is the final product after mixed with the odorless paint thinner (1:1)

I hope that this helps you save some time and money

William Hornibrook

Bill,

Thank you for all the work you went through to show this to us! It is very informative to say the least. I am going to give it a try. I have customers in other countries that need to know how to do this as they cannot get lard oil in most other countries so this is great! Thank you!

James