Welcome to the forum!
Return to Website

Cooking Louisiana Web Forum

The Cooking Louisiana "town hall" is open to everyone at all times to talk cooking.... Enjoy!

Cooking Louisiana Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Offshore Potatoes

I was reminded recently of an event that happened to me when I worked offshore on a production platform in the Gulf of Mexico. I was on a remote platform with a few other guys and was going to smother some potatoes for lunch. All we had was a griddle to cook on. I cut up the potatoes and onions, put a little cooking oil on the griddle, set it to low and began stirring around. In about two minutes the little room I was cooking in was filled with smoke and the smell was awfull! What the heck is going on???? I shut the griddle off and after the smoke cleared went straight for the oil. Taking a whif of it I found that it was hydraulic oil instead of cooking oil! Some joker put hydraulic oil in a cooking oil jug! I still never found out who did it! I got laughed at about that for years! And I guess a few never forgot it!

Thanks for reminding me Johnson!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Do you have a funny thing that happened to you when you were cooking. Almost everyone does. Let's laugh a while!

Re: Offshore Potatoes

well, an this is also dangerous, i know now. One day i was gonna fry some chicken like the colonel does; so, i put bout a cup an a half in my preassure cooker, put the lid on it an proceeded to get the oil hot, a couple of mins later i heard a bang, what had happened was the lead safety plug had blown out an went thru the ceiling ( glad i was at the camp ) no one had ever told me you DON`T put cookin oil in a pressure cooker, glad no one was with me, since then i have bought a pressure fryeroff e-bay; please don`t try what i did it DON`T work...........rick

Please come back soon!