Welcome to the forum!
Return to Website

Cooking Louisiana Web Forum

The Cooking Louisiana "town hall" is open to everyone at all times to talk cooking.... Enjoy!

Cooking Louisiana Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Griads

I've got this subject on my "things to research" list. I'm originally from just south of New Orleans (Houma), but as a younger person, griades are one thing I can't remember standing out in my memory.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

HI,

Does anyone have a recipe or some type if instructions for making griads?

Re: Re: Griads

Hi & greetings from Houma,

I just found this website while searching for another recipe. Forgive me for jumping in on this one! Griads, an old New Orleans favorite, is spelled "grillades". That may be why you haven't located the recipe. They simply HAVE to be served over cheese grits! Here's how I cook mine:

2 lb veal, or round steak, or my favorite... boneless pork chops

salt & pepper

cayenne

2 T. cooking oil(or bacon drippings)

2 T. butter

2 T. plain flour

1 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup chopped bell pepper

1 can whole Ro-Tel tomatoes & green chilis

1 T. chopped parsley

1/4 cup chopped shallots

1 cup chicken broth (or water)

1/4 t. thyme

1 bay leaf

1/2 t. Tabasco

I start by pounding the meat with a meat tenderizing mallet. I season it well(salt, pepper, cayenne). I then flour the meat(don't forget to season the flour). I brown the meat in a large skillet with cooking oil & butter. I then remove the meat from the skillet and brown the remainder of the flour, as in making a roux. I then saute' the trinity, 'til transparent, in the same. I then add the Ro-Tel tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, and shallots. I add the chicken broth or water, stir, and gently place the browned meat back into the skillet. Bring to a gentle boil, stir again, cover and simmer for an hour, or until meat is tender.

Cheese grits:

1 cup golden (yellow) grits

4 cups water

1/2 t. salt

1/2 t. garlic powder

8 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese

2 eggs, beaten

3 T. butter or margarine

greased casserole dish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place water, salt, and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to rolling boil on stove top.Add grits, stirring constantly to avoid lumping. When it returns to a boil, cover, & reduce to simmer. Cook for 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese & butter until melted. Stir in beaten eggs. Pour into casserole and bake for 30 minutes.

Replying to:

I've got this subject on my "things to research" list. I'm originally from just south of New Orleans (Houma), but as a younger person, griades are one thing I can't remember standing out in my memory.

Replying to:

HI,

Re: Re: Re: Griads

Thank you for jumping in, I will try this on Superbowl weekend.

Re: Griads

Look up Round Steak and Tomato Gravey on the site.

Replying to:

HI,

Please come back soon!