Return to Website

Paul Auster Discussion Forum

Any question need answering? Any book or film need debating? Any Paul Auster topic whatsoever

Paul Auster Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Paul Auster wins Principe de Asturias Prize

My sincere congratulations Mr. Auster! I love and live your stories and characters. And I enyoyed so much when I heard the news about this prize.
Love from Valencia (Spain)

Re: prestigious prize ????

U must be ******* joking!!! I still remember when they gave the Principe de Asturias al Deporte to Fernand Alonso.

Pathetic!!!

About the former comment

Well, what prize do you know IS prestigious? Do please name one. Perhaps the Nobel Peace prizes, which have been given to some people who worked for war? Perhaps the Oscars? Are you thinking of that, perhaps?

Like Thomas Bernhardt wrote in "Wittgenstein's nephew" getting a prize is like being ****ted on your head. I recommend the book, by the way.

But if we forget about this lucid insight, which could be a metaphor of other relevant issues too, and we just decide to become contextual humans, getting a prize means some sort of recognition. If it happens that you have actually done something good for people, like writing excellent novels, and that you don't get it because of your contacts, then, there you are, getting a prize is a reason to celebrate.

Re: About the former comment

You will always find people who may not deserve being awarded, sure, but at least this time the man deserved it. Auster's readers feel happy when we see his work's been recognised.