Return to Website

Paul Auster Discussion Forum

Any question need answering? Any book or film need debating? Any Paul Auster topic whatsoever

Paul Auster Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Auster's idols all anti-semites?

Samuel Beckett
Knut Hamsen
Cervantes
Dostoevsky

... can't speak for Beckett but the only thing the other three have in common (their prose styles and themes are all wildly different) is their virulent anti-semitism. Auster is a very complicated man...

Re: Auster's idols all anti-semites?

I didn´t know that Cervantes disliked the jews,but sure enough, Hamsun(probably) and Dostoevsky(definately) did.
I think it speaks in Austers favour that he can disregard the political views of the authors and appreciate their eminent authorship.

Re: Re: Auster's idols all anti-semites?

It speaks in his favor! I see, his impartiality... well that's a fresh take. Forgot to mention his admiration for Celine, who Auster even named a character after. (Celine was imprisoned in France for publishing anti-semitic tracts and nazi sympathies during WWII.)

C'mon Joel, these authors have *nothing* else in common. If I professed an admiration for authors who all shared a belief in pink-striped elephants, I could say I admire their narrative force and 'eminent authorship' in spite of the pink-striped elephants; but who in good conscience would believe me?

As that old anti-semite Ezra Pound once said, "content counts for *something*."