Return to Website

Paul Auster Discussion Forum

Any question need answering? Any book or film need debating? Any Paul Auster topic whatsoever

Paul Auster Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Travels in the scriptorium

Just found out Auster has released a new book...anyone here has read it yet? Please share your comments, as it seems he is back into old books subjects!

Re: Travels in the scriptorium

I bought the book yesterday,but i've decided not to read it untill i read at liest 3 more Auster's.All because i'v heard that it's about all his caracters in a way,because hi is writing through the main figure and the Travels are sort of revival or a story continue of what happens with all the Paul Austers from before,when the story "stops".Anyway,in my country (Serbia),the is a anual Belgrade's Book Fair,an the Travels has been reliest for the first time in the world,before the premiere in US which is in january 2007.Auster couldn't come,they said,but what the hell,i'v got the book.But since i'm not gonna read it yet,i'm not in an advance,at liest till january.

Re: Re: Travels in the scriptorium

I agree with you, it'd be better if readers knew a bit of previous books before reading this one. It's really brilliant!

Re: Re: Re: Travels in the scriptorium

I just finished this novella and I cannot believe how great it is. It has filled me with an incredible jolt of elation. I'm rejuvinated by it. It's electric! Seriously - I closed the cover simply stunned - and laughing. It's a wonderful game and Mr. Auster has allowed us all to be complicit in his trick. Each and every reader takes part in his diabolical/hilarious attempt to pull off the impossible - eternal life. BRAVO. I'll be stunned for weeks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Travels in the scriptorium

I love all of the other books but I hated this with a passion - I thought it was lazy meaningless self-referential nonsense. If it means that he's got some older stuff out of his system before moving on with something then okay, I guess, but I thought it was just terrible.