Return to Website

Paul Auster Discussion Forum

Any question need answering? Any book or film need debating? Any Paul Auster topic whatsoever

Paul Auster Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Paul Auster and Jacques Lacan

I don't think he has any direct links, but Lacan writes a great deal about fathers and fatherhood - a topic close to Auster. I think it is quite sensible to link the two philosophies together - but maybe Auster is an unintentional referrent to Lacan, rather than a deliberate borrower of his ideas. Auster would possibly be an individual that Lacan would enjoy psychoanalysing.

Re: Re: Paul Auster and Jacques Lacan

2 philosophies???

Hang on...

there's a lot of amalgamation flying around here.

Right. That Auster is influenced by psychoanalysis seems quite clear. That is himself has been in therapy is possible as well. That he has read Lacan AS WELL AS FREUD seems extremely likely. But

a) I dont think his work, in the state it is, whether it's intentional or not. is influenced more by Lacan than freud. (lacan having been more than influenced by freud this would explain that)

b) Lacan, nor Freud are philosophers whatsoever (despite the widespread vulgarisation). The purpose of their writing or psychoanalysis, is completely different. And while one will find overlaps in all and any disciplines, that's it.

c) Fiction, Auster's territory, has even less got anything to do with philosophy and the purpose of fiction has got nothing to do with philosophy either. That it necessarily invites you to self reflect, does not mean Auster needs you to share his views or wants to spread any truths, nor wants to cure you. It's about sharing emotions and style.

Now back to your point, yes I think it's very likely that Lacan and therefore Freud have influenced Auster. And in many ways, while it's certainly more pronounced in his work, well, which modern writer hasn't. (be it unconsciously)? :)