Return to Website

Paul Auster Discussion Forum

Any question need answering? Any book or film need debating? Any Paul Auster topic whatsoever

Paul Auster Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Brooklyn Follies

I´m Paul Auster´s biggest fan, I´ve read all his books in english and german, several times, but "The Brooklyn Follies" exceed all expectations! Paul Auster at his best!!!

Re: The Brooklyn Follies

Sorry, you are not. I am!

Usually I have the "blues" feeling in Paul Auster's books. In this way "The Brooklyn Follies", is not very Paul Auster-like. The book is so bright and inspiring that I can’t find the usually “blues”. It gives me the impression of a mature Paul Auster with his on life on track and happy. The impression I have is that he got an “a-ha experience” with his own life.

For me, the following book “Travels In The Scriptorium” confirms what I feel about "The Brooklyn Follies". He found himself, so now he can re-take his old and so special “blues”-style without leaving aside the brightness he found on his own life - the “a-ha” is now sedimented.

Well, it would be great to hear from him, if I’ve got anything right or if I’m just full of BS.

Anyway, I just LOVE his books (and films). His biography “Hand to Mouth” is actually the only biography I’ve started to read, that I’ve actually finished – and liked!

Re: Re: The Brooklyn Follies

Well, Auster's biggest fans, I need you, both of you, I'm french and we work on Brooklyn Follies in English. I would like to have your opinion about name's haracter, why does Paul Auster choose "Tom Wood", "Nathan Glass", "Harry Brightman"... About Harry Brighman I have some ideas (his former name, Dunkel shows his darkness since Dunkel comes from dark in german, I can notice how Auster shows us the two faces of Harry with his differents names or identity) Could you help me for the others characters please?