Return to Website

Paul Auster Discussion Forum

Any question need answering? Any book or film need debating? Any Paul Auster topic whatsoever

Paul Auster Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: See Spot Run

Oh well, that's alright then. But what about the 2000 elections? Somebody MUST have voted for him. Anyway, I'd rather spend the next 50 years learning Chinese as to be prepared for that new empire than having that jackass deciding what's good for the "free" and "civilized" world any longer.
Guess it would have been better for all of us if Columbus had discoverd India and then had moved on to China instead of going your way. It would have saved us from centuries of American hybris.
Wanna know what a real "major yawn" is? All your deluded American self-perception. I just can't take it any more.

Re: Re: Re: Re: See Spot Run

Hey man, whoever has the dough runs the show. Don't hate the playa, hate the game. Imagine if this dreaded US hegemony were under Belgium's Leopold, Mao, Boukassa or Sukarno or Mr. Moustache himself... It could be worse. I'm not defending the idiot who currently holds office and yes, it took idiots to vote him there (I wasn't one btw). But as Rupert Murdoch recently pointed out, European memories are remarkably short (owing to vitamin B deficiency?). Life as we know it was under threat three times in the last century, absolutely crushing despotism. All three were started in Europe and put to bed by America. You guys are perpetual Janet Jacksons: "What have you done for me lately?"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: See Spot Run

Oh, come on - we've been there before. During our last discussion you claimed that somebody has to rule the world. And I actually agreed, pointing out that that's what the UN is for now. Well, I can see you Americans still haven't quite understood the concept. Anyway, there is no doubt whatsoever that America has done its good deeds to the world. But there is no reason to conclude from that that you are the chosen ones. You guys have your own skeletons in the closet, some of which are still warm. The point is that you people tend to be so terribly narrow minded and limited in you views... I'm just amazed that you even have the cheek to announce so in a public forum over and over again. That's what I meant when I talked about your misleaded self-perception.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: See Spot Run

So if I understand you correctly you have no problem with white people killing brown people, so long as the helmets are blue?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: See Spot Run

Since when have Americans objected about brown people being killed? The UN might make mistakes but at least they are mistakes made after a decision has been reached involving many (Western) nations. It's time you guys stopped acting like the last man standing, like God's gift to the world.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: See Spot Run

Sounds like I'm a monotheist and you're a pantheist (five versus one), but there's not a whole lot of daylight between our competing visions of anonymous brown throngs consuming the policies of the annointed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: See Spot Run

And here you go again in your manifest destiny rhetoric.
Maybe I'm neither - I guess I'm basically agnostic but when it comes to "ruling" the world, pantheism is much more preferable to monotheism. The thought og giving too much power to a people that doesn't know that "Lebanon is more than just the name of a little one-horse town in Tennessee actually scares the **** out of me.

Tee He: He: He: He: He: He: He: He: He: See Spot Run

Power is taken not given. If it were given the world certainly would have claimed it back by now. You might hate it but imho it's more productive to look into the nature of the beast, i.e. the never-changing centrality of power in world affairs. Hell yes we're an empire, and geographically-challenged Tennessee rubes aren't really the point. To wit: Bush and Blair are lame ducks now, the bums effectively having been thrown out by their angry electorates. Do you seriously think Iraq policy will change now? In the next decade? David Remick of the New Yorker said it best: "The atipathy to, even hatred of, George Bush among some Britons is so intense that Blair's most unforgivable sin seems to be his second-banana role in the Anglo-American alliance... The British have not soured on the United States so much as they have come to long for a Prime Minister who will remove the taint of subservience from the relationship." ... and I wouldn't hold my breath.

Howdy to John Yawny Wayne

I'm not convinced that this whole "let's not cry over spilled milk" approach is at all productive. And you may be right - some ignorant Tennessean rednecks might not really be the point but neither are Bush's favorite European pet politicians. At a certain level power might be taken not given but to reach this level - in a democracy - you need to be given a certain power to start you off. But I don't want to go back to accusing you guys of empowering the wrong guy in 2000. What really freaks me out is that there hardly is anybody outside Bush's circle to take his place. Madame Clinton won't make it - and she is hardly any less narrow minded and power hungry than Bush. She really is just George W. with breasts (in itself a revolting image). At this point you Americans have no perspective than standing your course, which obviously is a mode of behavior deeply rooted in your cultural identity. You are not ABLE to change, you've been stagnating for more than 200 years now - and that's the whole point. Even if Bush's popularity is at an all time low, the American people will go and elect the next dictator. You just never learn... and ride on into the setting sun.

Re: Howdy to John Yawny Wayne

Replied on a new thread