Return to Website

Paul Auster Discussion Forum

Any question need answering? Any book or film need debating? Any Paul Auster topic whatsoever

Paul Auster Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The height of rudeness

Hi Yawny,
I didn't think I would finally get an answer, which is why I haven't been checking the message board recently. I will need to keep this short since work is piling up on my desk.
The truth is, I'm not subscribing to anything. In this country the 19th century came, brought forward some literary magazines which had some success but at the beginning of the 20th century mostly went out of print. So we never really developed the same kind of literary magazine culture that you English speaking guys have. It has actually never even crossed my mind that could try and get hold of an English language publication but I'll be sure to give some thought.

Since my job is to teach German lit, I HAVE to read all kinds of literature for work. (At the moment we talk about German 19th century stuff which is just boring. We might as well read Jane Austen and fall asleep.)
That's why in my free time during the school year I tend to avoid all the heavy stuff. Which is why I turned to British lit - the Brits managed to combine a certain "deepness" with easy reading. I quite like that... with the Germans its always highly sophisticated OR entertaining.