Return to Website

Paul Auster Discussion Forum

Any question need answering? Any book or film need debating? Any Paul Auster topic whatsoever

Paul Auster Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In the Country of Last Things

I recently 'discovered' the author Paul Auster and I am reading everything he wrote! I find his writing to be exceptional and worthy of my putting away my Thomas Hardy and Tolstoy books for a while.

I have a question about a passing statement made by Anna Blume on page 135 of the Viking edition of 'In the Country of Last Things.' Anna Blume says, "and I understood why Schubert was a greater musician than Schumann."

What does that mean? I assume that this is something the author believes and he is using Anna Blume's character to say it. But why? This is the first time I have ever heard anyone make such a comparison and I am a performing classical musician. What exactly does Mr. Auster find in Schumann's compositions that is inferior to Schubert?

Sincerely,

Nancy F. Sudik

Re: In the Country of Last Things

Of the interviews for Auster that I've read, I haven't come across this question. It's very specific, and unless you get the chance to ask Mr. Auster yourself, you're likely to never know for certain.

When I read this sentence myself, just 2 weeks ago, in fact, I didn't take it literally from the author's view. I only heard Anna's voice. (I enjoyed Schubert when I played piano, especially his energy. I don't remember much about Schumann.) I believe she was simply showing that she's educated and bright enough to have her own opinion.

Glad you found a good author to read. ~ Georgia.