Return to Website

Paul Auster Discussion Forum

Any question need answering? Any book or film need debating? Any Paul Auster topic whatsoever

Paul Auster Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Being Struck by Lightning (The Red Notebook)

This very afternoon I became acquinted with Paul Auster's story of a boy struck to death by lightning, published in his bok The Red Notebook.

I'm glad to read a story that coincidences with a story my mother told me about herself which was pritty hard to believe.

She told me that as a youth working the potatofield with a metal hoe during bad weather with thunder and lightning, it suddenly struck down her hoe, making her unconcious for a large spell. She woke up head down in the dirt holding the wooden handle, feeling quite sick with an enormous headache and totally eshausted as if something had dried all her strength out, feeling as if a train had run into her. Luckily she wore rubber boots and as I said, the hoe had a wooden handle. But...she believes that this is what at her now older years causes her sensitivity towards everything run by electricity making a modern life quite hard to her.

Thank you Mr Paul Auster for this story. I'm going to get me a copy of the film, an offspring of this story called Act of God, directed by Jennifer Baichwal.