ATOP Message Forum

Welcome to ATOP! We seek to be a community minded ministry with the world in mind and you at heart.  Where everyone feels accepted, supported, challenged, and affirmed.

ATOP Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bible Study

A Bi-weekly study of the Scriptures.

The Book of Mark

We will be studying the book of Mark. I will be using Max's Lucado's inspirational bible guide, the internet and other sources to help with this study, however, the bible will be our main source.

Lesson #1 Compassion

Reflection: Think of a time when you were hurting or in need. How did someone show you compassion? I remember the time that I suffered a mental breakdown and grew very cold and distant from everyone. I didn't want to get out of the bed and go to work, bathe, take care of anything I wanted to die.

My husband showed me unconditional love. He prayed, he gave me motivational speeches everyday, helped with the chores, he sought help from others. My husband never gave up. There were days that he had to practice tough love as well reminding me that God didn't want me to live this way.

Bible Reading: 1:40-45

Re: The Book of Mark

Question #1: What does the leper's statement reveal about his belief in Jesus? I believe that the leper had faith and knew that Jesus was the real deal. The leper must have witnessed Jesus performing miracles and heard him speaking about His father in heaven.

Question #2: Jesus could have healed the leper simply by speaking to him. Why do you think Jesus reached out and touched him? People who had leprosy were shunned and not touched. It was a disease that was contagious and people didn't want to be "unclean". Jesus "touched," the leper to show him that he cared for him and that no matter what. Jesus was truly showing compassion and making it publicly.

Question #3: Why didn't the leper obey Jesus' request to keep quiet? I believe he was an outcasts for so long that he was so filled with joy and gratitude. He didn't know how to keep it inside himself ~ he thought he was doing a good thing by praising and showing his miracle to others.

Question #4: Describe what the leper may have felt after Jesus touched and healed him? I believe the leper felt Jesus love. This leper had not been loved for a long time and I believe the moment Jesus touched him it changed him ~ encouraged him and comforted him all at the same time. The leper was assured of God's unconditional love.

Inspiration

The following inspiration and questions were taken from The Gift of the Blessing by Gary Smalley and John Trent.

Jesus was a master at communicating love and personal acceptance.He did so when He blessed and held...little children. But another time His sensitivity to touch someone was even more graphic. This was when Jesus met a grown man's need for meaningful touch, a man who was barred by law from ever touching anyone again...

To touch a leper was unthinkable. Banishing lepers from society, people would not get within a stone's throw of them. (In fact, they would throw stones at them if they did come close!)...With their open sores and dirty bandages, lepers were the last persons anyone would want to touch. Yet first thing Christ did for this man was touch him.

Even before Jesus spoke to him, He reached out His hand and touched him. Can you imagine what that scene must have looked like? Think how this man must have longed for someone to touch him, not throw stones at him to drive him away. Jesus could have healed him first and then touched him. But recognizing his deepest need, Jesus stretched out His hand even before He spoke words of physical and spiritual healing.

Response Questions

1. Think of a time when you witnessed an act of compassion. Describe what you saw.

2. Have you ever withheld compassion from someone in need? Why?

3. How can you follow Jesus' example and show compassion even to those you find unattractive?

My personal responses

Tanya
1. Think of a time when you witnessed an act of compassion. Describe what you saw.

2. Have you ever withheld compassion from someone in need? Why?

3. How can you follow Jesus' example and show compassion even to those you find unattractive?

I was riding the subway train to Manhattan and the train was crowded as usual. A homeless person came into the cart and smelled up the whole train. We all wanted to throw up. People moved to the side and didn't want to look at the homeless, but someone from the train had some sandwiches and was asking people if they were hungry ~ no charge. No one moved. Not even the homeless person. I figured at this point the homeless was either on drugs and that's why they didn't feel hunger. I was wrong. The homeless person was proud and did not want to seem like he was begging for food. The person gave the sandwich to the homeless and he finally took it.

I must confess that I have on many occasions. Last week as a matter of fact I had just picked up my son from the hospital and was waiting for the light to turn green. A lady with a cardboard sign approached my car. The cardboard read like this " I just lost my job and need money to feed my three children and the rent. Any amount will do." I looked at the lady and sure I was moved by the sign, but I didn't reach into my purse to give. Why? Maybe living in the city has made me suspicious of every person that has a cardboard sign? Maybe with all the taxes that I pay to services to help I feel that people just want to get over as usual. Still not sure?

I really need to learn from Jesus. I need to show compassion no matter what I think or feel.

Q1: I believe that the leper knew that Jesus was the only one that could really help him.

Q2: I believe that Jesus was showing the leper that he cared. Lepersy was something no one wanted to catch. Jesus stating that he would help the leper and that he was clean was a sign of accepting him no matter what any one would say.

Q3: I believe that he leper was so excited to be free of his disease. He wanted everyone to know that Jesus did a wonderfully amazing thing. He wanted everyone to know that Jesus was the one who cleansed him.

Q4: I think that once Jesus reached out or the leper the leper felt cared or. No one has reached out to him during the time he had the leprosy. Jesus reaching out o him made him feel loved and cared for.

My reflection on compassion. When we were first trying to conceive I miscarried. I was devastated and angry. I was angry and frustrated and wanting to know why me. Why would God take away my baby that I have wanted for so long. I didn't think it was fair. My husband stood by my Sid the entire way through. He cared for me and gave me inspirational messages and spoke to me about what happened.

I <3 my DH very much and always thank him for being by my side.

Re: Response Questions

After reading what jesus did for the person with leprosy and reading about the act of compassion I started thinking about what kind of compassion I have witnessed. I like Tanya have seen people with signs asking for monetary help. I am also a little suspicious when it comes to giving someone any amount of money. But my mom thought me a valuable lesson. My mother has been out of a job for a little under a year. A couple of months ago she was entering a fast food place and there was a gentlemen asking for $ as he held the door open. He asked my mom for a bit of change and my mother said I won't give you change, but if you allow me to I'll buy you something to eat. I am so proud of my mother. I too wish I can be more like Jesus......

Lesson #2 Healing and Forgiveness from the book of Mark 2:1-12

1. Think of someone who has been healed physically, emotionally or spiritually. What were the circumstances surrounding that person's healing?

Re: Lesson #2 Healing and Forgiveness from the book of Mark 2:1-12

The one person that comes to my mind is myself. I know that sounds kind of selfish, but I just want to take the time to boast and praise my Lord for what He has done.

Physically ~ It has been 7 years exactly when God healed my body physically. I had a horrible accident at home ~ fell from a ladder while trying to put a decoration and the ladder closed. I went flying down straight onto my wrist and shattered my bones into 25 tiny pieces. Doctors operated on the wrist and told me I would never use it, but God was so merciful towards me. He heard my cries, my prayers and granted me another miracle. Right now I am typing with both hands and my wrist is holding up just fine.

Bible Reading: Mark 2:1-12

Question a. What risks did the men take who carried the paralytic?
Question b. Why were the scribes upset when Jesus forgave the paralytic's sins?
Question c. Why did Jesus forgive the paralytic's sins before healing his body?
Question d. How did the people respond to the miracle? How is their response different from the way people respond to God's work today?

Tanya
Bible Reading: Mark 2:1-12

Question a. What risks did the men take who carried the paralytic?
Question b. Why were the scribes upset when Jesus forgave the paralytic's sins?
Question c. Why did Jesus forgive the paralytic's sins before healing his body?
Question d. How did the people respond to the miracle? How is their response different from the way people respond to God's work today?

a.I believe the men did take a great risk carrying the paralytic on top of the roof and then removing the roof and lowering his bed down to Jesus. The friend could have slipped, gotten hurt or worst the roof could have collasped causing injury to many.

In those days the roofs were easy to remove, because they were held down by stones, but anything could have gone wrong with such a large crowd. They had to be cautious with their friend, but they were willing to do it to get their friend healed.

b. The scribes were known to be the "Priests" the caretakers of the word (Law) how could a man forgive sins? Only God could forgive sins, but this was no ordinary man ~ this was the son of God, but they were to proud or blind to see that the (Law) was being fulfilled before them.

c. Instead, Jesus first addressed the deeper need. He said first: "Your sins are forgiven." Upon hearing this, the crowd must have felt a let down. They expected a physical healing, not a spiritual healing. I believe the paralytic felt that his sins caused his disease. Many of us think this way and we are heavily burdened by this. I know when Jesus forgave him he felt relieved. We must remember that Jesus is the only one that can forgive us for our sins ~ God himself. Jesus knows that if we are forgiven we will resurrect with Him for eternity. Healing just our physical body is good, but is temporal.

d. The people praised and admired the Lord for the miracle he performed. They worshiped him and acknowledge that He was God. Today I believe we take miracles for granted ~ blessings for granted and we don't have a heart of gratitude. I speaking for myself. I need to acknowledge and praise God more. He is worthy of praise. He died for my sins and forgave me. He healed me in every way possible given me authority and love when I did not deserve it. What an awesome God!

Spiritually: ithink of myself & my hubby. I leas lst or a long time. I knew that I was missing something. I was hungry to know more but could not find the right place to feed. Me the knowledge I needed, The words I needed to hear....

Today I can say I am spiritually healing and learning more of the work of Christ!

A) the men who carried the paralytic risked their lives. Not only by carrying him around the crowd but by climbing on top of roof tops that were not stable. They'll could have fallen off the too tops injured themselves and those who could have been below them.

B) I think The priests were upset. They questioned "Why does this fellow talk like that? He's blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?" (Mark 2:7 NIV).

C). I believe that our spiritual needs come first. Although many of us might look for physical healing but if we have faith in God He will make all things possible!

D) the people were ecstatic. They praised Him for his miracles whether it was something small or not He was praised. Many of us today including myself take things for granted and we forget to praise Him and give Him credit for even the small things in life! This is something that I continue to work on myself!