FISHINGVA.COM MESSAGE BOARD

Welcome to the FISHINGVA.COM message boards.  Feel free to post about anything Virginia fishing or fishing related.  Just please follow these rules to keep the boards enjoyable for everybody.

1) Post fishing reports from the submit a report link on the home page.  Makes it so I can store them in an easily searchable way.

2) No profanity.  If you want to use cuss words do it like this s--t .  Just want to keep it somewhat clean so if kids are looking...

3) Personal attacks on other users of FISHINGVA.COM will not be tolerated.  I will remove the post and email the offender letting them know.  If the offender continues to slip they may be banned.

Thats it pretty simple just want to make this the best place for Virginia fishermen and wanted to put some guidelines out there to avoid the pitfalls we have all seen on some other sites.  Tight Lines!!!! Jeff B. 

FISHINGVA.COM MESSAGE BOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stripers???

Anyone trying for stripers around Dutch Gap or Deep Bottom on the James?

Re: Stripers???

I've seen quite a few people fishing around the Hopewell bridge, the old RR tressle at Anchor Point, and around Pye Alley. I have not been up around Dutch gap or Deep bottom recently.

We tried trolling for them today around Dutch Gap and Deep Bottom. Didnt have any luck though. We switched to catfishing and caught a 16lb'er and a 22lb'er.
Bad day though. Bent my prop on a rock, lost a new rod and reel overboard, had to cut off an anchor that got stuck in a submerged tree AND ran out of gas on the river. We had to walk a mile to find a road and catch a lift to a gas station. Embarrassing to say the least.
Bill

Wow, that's a hard day Bill. I'd say still beats a day at work but I'm not sure with that report.. Happier days next time...;-)
D

Yep, it still beats a day at work. Of course I left my paddle in the truck. We were lucky it was windy enough to finally blow us on shore, otherwise, we may have floated all the way to Hopewell.There was NO ONE else on the river that day to lend a hand. I learned a few hard lessons that day.
Bill

Bill i could not let you be the only one to have trouble on the river. I was there yesterday fishing pretty far up the old Appommattox channel. Must have been a full moon because the low tide was real extreme. Needless to say I got beached on a bar in an area I have gone through before. Thankfully I was near some house and some guys on shore saw me and came out with their boats to pull me off. Those guys were great, guys if you happen to check the site out. THANKS!!!!!

Man getting stuck on the river blows. I pulled a guy in a 23 foot cabin cruiser off a mud flat (right past the barge pit entrance)....I thought he was an idiot for having that big boat back there but I didn't say anything and helped him out.

He wanted to pay me for helping but I just told him I would hope that someone would help me one day the same way I helped him.

That's why having fishing buddies who live close to the river helps out....programming their #'s into your cell phone for emergencies can mean the difference in getting a tow back in or waiting for the tide to change.

ANYWAYS, sorry to hear about that bad day Bill!

Concerning Stripers, about 2 weeks ago I trolled the channel marker area where the Deep Bottom river channel meets the main river channel...there is a shelf that drops from a 10 foot flat to the 40 foot channel....I marked some big fish hanging out on that steep decline....trolled it with a big sassy shad and a bucktail....no hits.

I haven't heard about many people catching stripers this year, has anyone else? My dad is one of the people fishing the Hopewell bridge a lot, he hasn't caught anything.