FISHINGVA.COM MESSAGE BOARD

Welcome to the FISHINGVA.COM message boards.  Feel free to post about anything Virginia fishing or fishing related.  Just please follow these rules to keep the boards enjoyable for everybody.

1) Post fishing reports from the submit a report link on the home page.  Makes it so I can store them in an easily searchable way.

2) No profanity.  If you want to use cuss words do it like this s--t .  Just want to keep it somewhat clean so if kids are looking...

3) Personal attacks on other users of FISHINGVA.COM will not be tolerated.  I will remove the post and email the offender letting them know.  If the offender continues to slip they may be banned.

Thats it pretty simple just want to make this the best place for Virginia fishermen and wanted to put some guidelines out there to avoid the pitfalls we have all seen on some other sites.  Tight Lines!!!! Jeff B. 

FISHINGVA.COM MESSAGE BOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Boat motor repair?

I bought this used side console Lowe 1605 boat with a 40hp Yamaha. It had very low hours on it but it sat in a barn for a few years while under cover. I cleaned the fuel filter and changed the plugs. It ran good the first time out but the second time, when I gave it full throttle it bogged down. I ran it at home today and saw that the bottom carb is pouring out gas, causing it to flood and bog down. Tried some carb cleaner. No luck. I would like to take it to a good shop for repair and a once over. I have no idea where to take it. Any suggestions from the board would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

Re: Boat motor repair?

There are two Yammie mechanics close by to us Bill. One is Ed's marine which I hear is not the place to go, the other is Coopers Marine on Cary St. in Richmond. That is where I take my HPDI and I have loved them. The head mechanic is a really good guy and really knows his stuff, I'd go there...

Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff. Coopers marine it is then. Its very close to me too.
Bill

Just an FYI on getting work done on boats . I posted this on Nov. 25th and called them the next day. They are so booked up, they couldnt schedule me in until Dec. 21st, and that means nothing is getting done until the new year. My experience with the service manager on the phone was good. They do seem to know what they are talking about. Hopefully it wont cost too much . I will let you know. Using my Carolina Skiff until then.
Bill

Good thing you have that skiff still. I won't get my rig back for another week and a half. It is killing me.

Jeff

Thats why I decided not to sell my new Skiff until I was sure that I had a solid boat in this deal.
Bill

Speaking of motor issues, what brand of stabilizer do you guys prefer for outboard motors?

I have a Johnson 150 Fast-strike....

I also gotta figure out how to change the oil in the lower unit....someone suggested I do that if I'm not going to winterize it.

I run Sea Foam in mine, and I know a lot of guys run Stabil. As far as L/U lube, I change mine every year, and plan on a water pump ever two. I have never owned a Johnson, but I imagine it is the same as (or at least similar to) the mercs, on the nose section of the lower unit towards the cone is a screw, and then there should be 2 at the top of the unit. put a pan under the bottom screw, and remove the screw, then take the top 2 out. Wait for it to empty, stick the bottom one back in, make sure your engine is level and fill it up through one of the top holes until it overflows out of the other. Install screws again, wipe down oil, and go fishin.

I use Stabil in everything.

Well, I took the Lowe to Cooppers Marine. It needs alot more work than I thought. $1100 worth. Ouch, and right at Christmas. Plus they are closed Christmas to New Years. Not sure when I will get it back.
Bill