FISHINGVA.COM MESSAGE BOARD

Welcome to the FISHINGVA.COM message boards.  Feel free to post about anything Virginia fishing or fishing related.  Just please follow these rules to keep the boards enjoyable for everybody.

1) Post fishing reports from the submit a report link on the home page.  Makes it so I can store them in an easily searchable way.

2) No profanity.  If you want to use cuss words do it like this s--t .  Just want to keep it somewhat clean so if kids are looking...

3) Personal attacks on other users of FISHINGVA.COM will not be tolerated.  I will remove the post and email the offender letting them know.  If the offender continues to slip they may be banned.

Thats it pretty simple just want to make this the best place for Virginia fishermen and wanted to put some guidelines out there to avoid the pitfalls we have all seen on some other sites.  Tight Lines!!!! Jeff B. 

FISHINGVA.COM MESSAGE BOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The feeder creek into the barge pits

I was just curious, what is the average depth of that creek the access creek into the barge pits? Is there ever a chance of getting stuck in there on a low tide?

Also are there any hidden obstructions in the creek when you're going into the barge pits?

I'm thinking about going in the morning if it's not snowing or raining...

Re: The feeder creek into the barge pits

Hey EGo,
The creek is 9-12'. It never gets low enough to not be able to get out. Once in the pits, you are on your own.
Bill

One good general rule of thumb in the pits. If you stick to the ourside edeges of the place you are usually o.k. All of the barges etc. are visible.

jeff

Jeffs right about that. IMO, the "Use Extreme Caution" warnings about the barge pit are over rated. Yes, there are hazards, but I have done more damage to my boat on the main river. I have never had a problem in the barge pits.

Welll, unless it's raining, I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow.....I'll most likely "cruise" through the creek and then idle once I'm in the pits.

Hah my boat has been in the shop for weeks now getting $2800 worth of repairs because of someting I hit in the main river. Damage in the pits none. I think a lot of guys make it out worse than it is to try and protect there spots...JMHO

Jeff

Dang Jeff....where were you when you hit something? Did it instantly mess your rig up or were you able to keep running?

I have been lucky so far. The only time I've ever hit something (outside of idling) was JUST when i started to take off one time.

That would have been way down river. Had just run out of Chippokes and was heading to weigh in. River was really high. Anyway hit something in 20 foot of water, buest guess a slightly submerged railroad tie, that washed in with the high water. Boat kept running but the prop was so chewed up I had maybe 2/3 of my top speed. Wound up late to weigh in and instead of finishing in the money finished 13th...

Jeff

DUDE you didn't hit the sunken barge that's out in front of Chippokes did you?

That is a major major major striper hole right there.....but you can only see one corner of it during low tide....it's not a wooden barge either, it's steel...

Man if you hit that and only got a chewed up prop, you're a lucky guy !!

I just looked it up on the map, it's called "Brandon Wreck"...

We used to fish that a lot for rocks...

I talked to a local in Claremont once who said that they had walkie-talkies and people in that little camp ground would go out there at night and catch a crapload of stripers, then radio back to the beach where someone was watching for the game warden....if the coast was clear they'd come back in.

They said they kept track of the # of stripers they caught off that wreck at night and they came up with some insane # like 2000-3000 fish...

I don't approve of that whatsoever but it's pretty impressive...

Anyways if that's what you hit, you're a lucky guy lol

No I was on the down river side and pretty much out into the main James Channel. Know where that wreck is and yeah if you hit that your in trouble...

Jeff

Just a question but.....how exactly did the barges get in that lagoon/lake that the pits exist of?

Jeffrey, you are scaring me. $2800? Im taking my Lowe to the shop Wednesday. If my bill is that high it will have to stay there. Does your insurance cover that? How much was the windshield, or maybe I should ask Rich,lol.
Will your boat be ready in time for the T?
Bill

It will be ready. The damage was covered by insurance - deductible since i hit something.

Ego, the barges are in the pits because they were just left there. The pits was an active gravel or sand quarry and those barges wre used to move the stuff out of there. When the quarry operation ended they just abandoned all the barges in there.

Jeff

Yea but were they constructed in there....or did there used to be a greater entrance/exit to where barges could be taken in and out of there? If so, where was that entrance located?

Bill, luckily I only broke the walk through section, for which I was able to order the glass only, and Jeff and I will replace the glass ourselves when he gets his boat back from the shop. The cost was minimal, but it was tough to find the glass. I started with a Champion dealer, who sent me to Champion direct, who could only sell me the entire windshield (900.00+), who sent me to the glass co. The guy at Portstar Ind. was glad to help me out, and further advised the use of lead weights Vs tungsten. He was pretty surprised when I told him what happened, 1:100,000 shot.

Ego, as far as I know, or have ever heard, that was the only way in and out. When the mining operations were ceased, it was probably just cheaper to sink the old barges than to move them out.