FISHINGVA.COM MESSAGE BOARD

Welcome to the FISHINGVA.COM message boards.  Feel free to post about anything Virginia fishing or fishing related.  Just please follow these rules to keep the boards enjoyable for everybody.

1) Post fishing reports from the submit a report link on the home page.  Makes it so I can store them in an easily searchable way.

2) No profanity.  If you want to use cuss words do it like this s--t .  Just want to keep it somewhat clean so if kids are looking...

3) Personal attacks on other users of FISHINGVA.COM will not be tolerated.  I will remove the post and email the offender letting them know.  If the offender continues to slip they may be banned.

Thats it pretty simple just want to make this the best place for Virginia fishermen and wanted to put some guidelines out there to avoid the pitfalls we have all seen on some other sites.  Tight Lines!!!! Jeff B. 

FISHINGVA.COM MESSAGE BOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sunken Boat in the Appomattox

Anyone who runs the Appomattox on a fairly regular basis will know where this is. For the last couple of months there has been a large (35' or so) older house boat anchored right in the channel of the old river channel, right where it meets the navigable channel. I was out for a little bit yesterday afternoon with my son, and the boat has sunk. I believe it is sitting on the bottom stuck in the mud, and appears that the tide is starting to swing it sideways. If it does, I do not think much of it will be visible at high tide. So, if you are like me, and tend to blast through there, be careful. There is an anchor line which was still holding off the bow, I could not see the stern anchor line that was in place last time I was out that way.

Re: Sunken Boat in the Appomattox

How can stuff like that just be allowed to slide? Shouldn't the coast guard or marine patrol force the owner to extract it?

You can just park an old boat on the river and let it sink and forget about it?

It looks like it just sank yesterday. People actually have been on the boat within the past few months. Our guess is that it is someone who did not want to pay slip fees anywhere so thought they could just anchor the boat in the old channel to keep it there. I would guess that the bilges failed and with all of the recent rain the boat filled itself up and down she went. Rich did call it in so hpefully something will get done with it.

Jeff

I have seen people aboard this vessel on weekends, and even during the week in the summer time. Like Jeff said, it kinda seemed like they were avoiding slip fees. I do not know off-hand the legality of it. Before it was moved to it's present position, it was within the navigable channel for a few months, and again it was used on the weekends.

My point is, for the folks that run through that way, use caution until it is either removed, or settled into a more permanent position.

As a former 15 year Coastie...They WILL force the removal of the vessel. If it isnt removed by the owner, the CG will sub out the removal and charge the owner the removal cost, the cost of the CG, the cost of a EIS and the cost of court fees.

If the boat is in navigable water and especially in a channel...It should be reported ASAP.

Get a EXACT Lat and Long on the sunken vessel. Either by chart or spot. Call 1-800-682-1796, Maritime Safety Branch (MSO). And report it as a Hazzard to Navigation. They will send out a NTM and have the area/boat inspected.

There could be oil and gas leaching into the river!!!!

There was a boat that caught fire and sank across from the Dutch Gap boat ramp. I think Ego told us about it. They put an orange warning buoy over it. Well the buoy has moved down to the river loop near the rickity bridge. Dont know if the wreck has too, but with recent rains, I suspect it has. Use caution.
Bill

Yea I saw that boat explode...pretty cool except I was the 2nd boat on the scene and we (1st boat & I) really didn't know if there had been anyone on the boat or not.....

Randy, I don't know if this is still considered navigable water. There are no channel markers at this section of the river, and there is no commercial traffic through this area. In any event, I called the game warden first because it was the only number I had at the time, and they put me in touch with the Marine Resource Commission. When I spoke to them I told them I was next to the boat, and if they had the capability they could get the coordinates from my phone. They told me they would call back if they had any further questions, but so far, no calls.

How deep is the water in which it's sunk? Is it still visible from the surface?

The water generally runs 8' or so at mean low tide where it was anchored. Yes, the top of the cabin was visible when we were on our way out. If it rolls over, it may not be visible.

Could someone explain where this is? I run the Appomattox pretty often and cannot for the life of me think of where your talking about. I was out there about 6 weeks ago and do not remember seeing this boat. I would hate to hit that thing.

It is right where the old channel splits from the new one. Probably a 1/2 mile or so below Pye Alley. Boat has been there for awhile. I will probably be out on the river tomorrow so I'll give everyone an update if I am.

Jeff