Return to Website

Message Board

Please Put Surnames in Subject Line

Cavan Genealogy
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
William Flack b. c1772 in "Boulboro", Cavan

My GGGgrandfather is probably William Flack b. c.1772 in "Boulboro", Cavan, who was pensioned out of the Wexford Militia as a Kilmainham Pensioner in 1808. I have a copy of his discharge certificate, but I am searching for any other information that might tell me more about his family.

His son, William Flack b 1 April 1810 in Bailieborough, Cavan also joined the British Army's 63rd Regiment of Foot in 1832.I know that his mother, my GGGgrandmother, was Elizabeth Flack b. c 1790.

The family was Presbyterian and William Flack (b.1810) was recorded as living in "Killan", near Bailieborough in his enlistment papers.

I have several questions as follows:
1. Are there any other document associated with Kilmainham Pensioners that might provide information about the family?
2. Are there any records available that list the passengers (families of the soldiers)who travelled to or returned from Guernsey with the Wexford Militia in 1789 and 1790?
3. Are there any Presbyterian church records extant from the Bailieborough area for the period 1772 to 1810?

Any assistance or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Ted (Edmund) Flack
Brisbane, Australia

Re: William Flack b. c1772 in "Boulboro", Cavan

Ted
I have looked on the Proni Website for you to see what records are available for Bailieboro, and the records don't go back far enough in order to be of help to you. This is the link so that you can take a look yourself.
http://www.proni.gov.uk/guide_to_church_records.pdf

Perhaps you could also contact The Presbyterian Historical Society. This is the link to their Website, and you will be able to use the "Contact Us" to get in touch with them
http://www.presbyterianhistoryireland.com/

Recently a relative of mine did research at Kew, London, but he didn't find anything concerning the family of our "Dragoon" who served from 1797 - 1816. However, he did find where the our Dragoon was serving during this time, i.e. months/years at different locations, and this helped us find baptisms of the children.

Joyce

Thank you Joyce.
I am visiting Ireland for the first time in mid September and hope to come to Cavan and Monaghan. Is there a Family History Centre or similar to which I can visit to do more research?
Thank you for your interest.
Regards
Ted

Ted

This is a link to the Genuki page for Co.Cavan and from which you can get loads of information on what is available, e.g. The County Cavan Library, in Farnham St. Cavan.

http://home.wavecable.com/~colin/genuki/CAV/

If you google "Genuki~Co.Monaghan", you will get similar for that County.

I do hope that these links help.
Best wishes
Joyce

Thank you Joyce.
I will explore the links you have suggested with interest.
Regards
Ted